Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

What's your manifesto?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconevilameba:
Evilameba Feb 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
*starts out talking about art, ends with philosophy on life* Hehe, mostly kidding. I like your way of thinking, even if it sounds like I've heard those things before (which is fine to incorporate into your manifesto). "Art must come before meaning" is probably the most resonating statement in there. Try as I might, I can only impose some kind of meaning into my art-- which it usually rejects-- as an afterthought or a secondary element. The first is almost always the image in my head trying to get out, or the image I'm making reinventing itself. Hope that all makes sense.
:iconpaulwe:
Paulwe Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Totally. I tried to write it as rejection of traditional art manifestos in general. Usually they're long and ranting and dogmatic, and they tend the place so much emphasis on meaning and artists statements and exposition and stuff, and I just wanted to get back to the basics. Because really, an art can be incredibly meaningful, but I won't enjoy it if it's not enjoyable, simple as that.
:iconevilameba:
Evilameba Feb 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Ahh, interesting. I've never really read any other ones. My design teacher gave us a list of traits characteristic to creative persons that was similar to this, though.
And yes, art can evoke tons of emotion without meaning, or even just be nice to look at without any strong emotional content.
:iconopiumtraum:
I'm a little leery of manifestos...

My intent, when I create- I like the idea of putting a little wonder back into the world. And then there's the purely selfish reason for art making- When I make art I feel like I'm doing the one thing I'm meant to be doing...sometimes I feel like the art succeeds, other times- eh- not so much...it's very much the doing/trying...
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Feb 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
Make every art piece better than the last one, even if just marginally better. Then you're always going up :D
Paulwe Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
An excellent philosophy!
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Feb 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
My manifesto, that I am still doing research for, is going to prove that art does not exist, has never existed, and will never exist.
Paulwe Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, that's interesting. I actually haven't heard that one before. Please inform me when it's done, I'd love to read it.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Feb 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Perhaps.
:iconachipps:
achipps Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have artist intentions. My intentions are ;

Show what I have seen because it is unusual or not seen by anyone else.
Show anything I can imagine.
Create new life in my art.
Make anything look possible, but never exist.
Do my best to make everything look real.

I can be very happy when people think what I create is real.
Add a Comment: