Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Getting Restarted in drawing after a hiatus

:iconuniverse12:
Universe12 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hello, I'm a beginner artist and I'm interested in getting back into art (had to take a break from art or awhile). I'm interested in doing art in real life but I'm lost on where to start again. So I've come to the forums for a bit of help.

I want to do more than pencil and notebook drawings but I'm not familiar with the many possible materials used in drawing.

If you could help by listing information about drawing materials such as:

•The drawing materials
•Pros and Cons of the drawing materials
•How to use them correctly
•How I can acquire
•Any knowledge you have on the drawing materials such as the drawing utensils, material used to draw on, drawing surface, and anything else you can think that can be helpful
•Any related tips, recommendations, And advice

Also tips:
•on where to draw
•Under what conditions
•tricks and such that help you focus the drawing and get inspiration to draw

...would be welcomed.

And anything else you could think of would be great. I don't know what to choose so the more help, the better so I have a greater amount of info to read and more options to try out that can help me develop as an artist.

Finally, any tips on related info on getting into painting such as acrylic or oil painting would be awesome and help with getting started at in digital art. I am especially interested in digital drawing and once I feel fine with drawing on physical surfaces and such, I might consider digital art. Tips on good starting programs that won't be a huge investment (money wise) and if tablets would be a route to try out if I do digital art. And last, any tips or advice on where to go from if I take the digital art route from just a beginner stage but as a main form of what I do in art.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's not about the material, it's about getting started again.
I stopped doing art year ago, and picked it up again 3 years ago. I've been out of it for many years, and started sketching again with copy paper and some cheap ass pencils. Admitted... it wasn't the best equipment. But it definitely helped me getting back to sketching. Using cheap materials to start out with, really helped me, because it didn't make me feel bad like 'I wasted expensive materials' when a drawing failed.

After that, I've gradually expanded the materials. I use paper that is a bit more textured now, and use more expensive pencils (that don't break so easy). As for painting... I decided to get into digital art. It's a matter of preference, but it worked for me, since I'm limited in space and money (and buying a tablet is just a one time investment).
Universe12 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, best to use materials that fit the job.

And as for textured paper, paper along the lines of rough grade would be used for what reason? For a better visual quality?
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't know about paper being better. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference ^^
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
List of materials:

Anything that can make a mark.

A list of what I use.

Ink
Graphite (cores, powdered, pencils)
Charcoal (vine, compressed, pencil, powdered)
Conte crayon
Pastels (oil, wax, soft)
Lithography crayon
China Marker
Cigarette ash

Materials to draw on:

Anything that can hold a mark.
Number of utensils I'm not familiar with or types I've never heard of. I'm interested in looking into this. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
A final few notes: Sketching paper is for sketching. Drawing paper is for finished works. Don't use makers on Watercolor paper. The more tooth a paper has the better it will be for holding dry material.
I'll keep those in mind.

One question, by "tooth" of a paper, is that meaning the roughness of the paper?
The surface texture, yes.
:iconcaerulai:
Caerulai Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Youtube is an absolutely amazing place when you want to learn how to do something. Check that out. I'm pretty sure you could find a tutorial or two that meets your needs :)

If you are really interested in getting started in digital art, i suggest finding the cheapest pen tablet you can find off amazon. I got my first tablet for a little under 80 dollars. Gimp is free to download, and it's a fairly good program for beginners. Then, if you like digital, and you decide you want to go further, start saving up money for a nicer tablet and/or nicer programs like photoshop.

Again, like what PixlPhantasy said: experiment. Really nobody can dictate what materials to use or how to use them. The absolute best way to find the best way is by yourself. Personally, I think drawing is a very solitary thing, and works best when you just give yourself hours at a time to just play around with ideas.

Finally, drawing should come fairly naturally. Inspiration can be hard to find, however, have you ever tried listening to music? For me, that's the ultimate inspiration bringer.

Good luck, and just start drawing!

With all that done, hey! How have you been?
Thank you, very helpful.

I've looked at YouTube a few times and it is a great to start. Of course, looking at some of the artist's worked compared to what I've done makes my jaw drop a bit in the difference but is a great motivator to do art better.

I've looked at GIMP as well but never was interested at first. Focused on drawing but now I've seen the value in digital art especially.

And I agree, it's up to you. Getting ideas from others is also helpful and I wanted to get a variety of views on how people draw to get ideas on what to draw with and learn of new drawing materials and ways of drawing. I'll try new ideas an see what fits me.

And I listen to music but havent drawij in awhile so using music as inspiration I didn't think of.

And I've been good. Even after all these months, RL is still busy and finding time to use a computer for DA isn't as easy until I all but left the site completely. How've you been?
Add a Comment: