Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

directly drawing on paper or transfering?

:iconimfragrance:
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
Do you directly draw on watercolor paper, canvas or a pastel paper the idea you want to paint or first draw on a regular paper and transfer it ? And why ?

*nit talking about planning sketches etc. I am talking about making clean sketches on a paper and then transfering.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I do a concept piece in photoshop, then use that as a reference. At most I'll toss in a horizon line and some basic shapes with pencil before I start.
:iconvanderlylebaby:
VanderlyleBaby Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I transfer to keep the paper clean because using an eraser a lot can ruin the surface of watercolour paper. I can't draw something just in one go so I need to do a 'roughraft' Transferring does take an AGE though.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   General Artist
i am lazyyyyyyyy :D
:iconclockwork-madness:
clockwork-madness Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
If it's something that I am doing for a "serious" painting as opposed to a for-fun/learning/derping around painting, I always plan the line art on tracing paper first and then I transfer it to the canvas/board/whatever when I am done. That way I know my lines are where I want them to be and I won't wreck the surface of the canvas or board with eraser streaks. I want it to be done as clean as possible.
On my most recent painting though I planned the line art out in Photoshop and thought it might be quicker to grid and transfer directly onto the canvas; bad idea. I thought it might be faster but it absolutely was not. /sigh.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013   General Artist
Oh i understand. I want to transfer too however i am a little lazy :(
:iconclockwork-madness:
clockwork-madness Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional General Artist
It's totally worth it though, in the end :) Tbh I am lazy as well, transferring is the worst part of the process. But your end result is a lot better. ^__^
:icong-avoyan:
G-Avoyan Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I usually draw lots of preliminary sketches so at first i use any paper or notebook i have. When i have decided how should it look i just make sketch on canvas or panel with paint - dont trace or anything. I dont draw with graphite or charcoal on canvas cause i just dont like to see all those dirty pant-charcoal mixes that also have a chance to be visible after the work is finished. And I'm to lazy to varnish this charcoal sketch - actually this can be done to prevent it from mixing with paint. But actually i dont think its wrong to transfer your sketch on canvas in any other way - just pick one that your comfortable with. Also, i think it'd be easy to use some sort of PC program that enlarges your sketch and prints it on more than 1 sheet of paper so you just get a "poster" with your sketch which you can trace to your painting base...
:iconruuku-kabe:
Ruuku-Kabe Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When I do my artwork, I use sketch paper to sketch out the core of the character/environment/creature or what not, then I take my deleter paper and trace the core lineart with pencil, and then I ink it. I would advise not trying to ink straight from tracing. Your bound to make a bad line. Lol.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013   General Artist
:D okay thank you for the advice :))))
:iconruuku-kabe:
Ruuku-Kabe Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No probz! Glad I was helpful to someone! ^_^
^^
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student General Artist
I usually transfer it. I'm a messy sketcher.
I am messy too
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I never do that.
:icondsiwek:
DSiwek Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My sketches are usually stupid messy, so I often trace and refine a sketch several times before I'm satisfied with it, then I transfer it to whatever paper the final is going to be on.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   General Artist
Hmmm.. i think i will begin to do that too but i am little complicated.. do you do the same things for pen or pecil drawings too ? :s
:icondsiwek:
DSiwek Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, pretty much with everything I do. I make a messy sketch and use a light box to trace a cleaner version onto a fresh piece of sketch paper. Then I sketch some more, and repeat to process until I'm happy with the sketch and want to transfer it to a nicer sheet of paper.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   General Artist
oh i understand. When it comes to drawings, sometimes i make lines without even thinking and that is what make those sketches special or good looking. so i am a little afraid tracing sketches, worrying not being able to create the same feeling when sketching :)
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
I always trace it. Erasing multiple times damages the good paper and so I used to end up wasting it before I learned that tracing it is better. Especially with watercolour paper, the application of paint is not as good if you've been erasing a lot. And you end up with dents caused by old pencil lines that can never be totally erased.

So, I do all the messy work on cheap paper untill the sketch looks how I would like it, and then trace it onto the good paper using a lightbox (or a window ha ha). This saves on waste of good paper and keeps the surface nice and clean for crisp lines and bright colours.

With canvas I draw directly onto the canvas because the paint will cover it. I don't usually worry about detail in the sketching stage of a painting so it is not as important to preserve a neat version of a sketch that will be obscured anyway.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
For tracing what kind of pencil do you use ? Also do you make detailed sketches on watercolor paper? Sometimes i want to draw sth detailed but it is hard to draw defined because the pencil smudges .. especially on canvas surface. I couldnt find the right pencil lead to draw on canvas and papers yet :/
kafine Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
I have a mechanical pencil, which is good because it makes a fine line without having to be sharpened all the time. So, because you don't have to put much lead on the surface it doesn't create much transfer on your hand and muck the page up. So yes, I can put in as much detail from the sketch as I need onto the good paper. It's not always easy to trace detail but redrawing small areas is usually not a problem. I use 0.5 HB leads in it.

On canvas I don't draw with a regular pencil because as you're finding out, it's not well suited to the heavy texture. I usually use a cont stick or a white charcoal pencil and then manipulate them with a wash. They're not great for detail on that surface but as I said I typically don't try for lots of detail in the sketch on canvas. I will often have a pencil drawing of the plan for the painting on a seperate sheet of paper that I simply eyeball during painting instead of actually transferring it.

I have to say, I don't favour textured surfaces. I prefer smooth bristol for illustration and boards for acrylic and oil painting. Ohe of the main reasons is that it's hard to draw on them in a clean and crisp manner.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013   General Artist
oh i asked you a question below one of your deviations but i saw this now. Thank you so much for this detailed answer.

about the conte sticks. can i also use pastel chalks for the same purpose?
kafine Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013   General Artist
It's not trouble :)

With ordinary chalk pastels, you might find it makes a lot of dust that will be picked up when you paint. You can make use of that effect, depends what your needs for the peice are.

Conte sticks and charcoal pencils make a bit of dust too but they're more condensed than chalk pastels.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
it depends on how confident I'm feeling, and how expensive the surface is. I'm learning to draw directly on the final surface though.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013   General Artist
I also never transfered but lately i kinda began to destroy surfaces by erasing too much.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
That's why i start out light. I do my underdrawings with a 6h pencil. Those are relatively easy to erase.
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Traditional Artist
I draw directly onto the surface as it will all be covered up by paint anyway so it doesnt matter how messy it is. Also drawing the image on the the surface gives you a better sense of how the composition will work out. I dabble in block printing sometimes though and do transfer drawings onto the block by pasting the paper onto it.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   General Artist
What about graphite or pen drawings?
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   Traditional Artist
I only make paintings. Drawings are a necessary evil to me.
imFragrance Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   General Artist
:D okay.
Add a Comment: