Details

Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Need Help With Realistic Drawings

:iconthebluerosegirl:
I would like some advice with drawing more realistic looking drawings and portraits, i would like to get a lot better at drawing, so any good advice about what might help me get better would be much appreciated... Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Feb 9, 2013   Digital Artist
Since you say you use a sharpie, it might not hurt to try with a pencil. In most drawing classes, you'll learn with a pencil first. It's generally easier to control than a pen and you might find it easier to shade. I've basically been learning by studying up on anatomy and just drawing from photos. Learning anatomy is important, otherwise you end up with creepy looking drawings which are shaded realistically, but the features are in the wrong place (I used to do those. :D)You don't have to smudge with a smudge stick or a tissue. I don't smudge mine, I just like to shade with the pencil. I prefer the look, but experiment and see what works for you.

If you're having trouble with shading in general, it's probably worth doing some things like this to build up your skills: [link] [link]
wow thanks, thats very helpful... i just love how bold sharpie looks so i end up using it, but maybe i should try pencil while i'm learning to shade
Once you learn the basics of shading, you'll be able to translate the skills to using the pen. :D
really? i'd like that cause i love bold colors and inks!
Yep. A bit part of 'shading' is learning about light and shadows, so that will apply to whatever medium.
hmm good advice, that makes sense
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Feb 9, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Study from life. Sit down and draw still lifes, study anatomy, study perspective, etc.
its hard for me to draw people i know haha, it always turns out looking awful
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Feb 9, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
So? Keep drawing. Tricks and shortcuts won't make you better.
very true, thanks for the advice i appreciate it
Add a Comment: