February 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Best "value contrast" artists

:iconsaito20:
saito20 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Hi people,

I am a line guy-have always been, and decided to learn once and for all how to use color (and posting my learning in my blog).

Now, curiously enough, I saw that the first thing I'd do good to learn is to make proper use of value contrasts (black and white) instead of directly messing up with crazy color combinations.

There are amazing artists out there who use and abuse of value contrasts. Two obvious examples are Frank Miller and Mike Mignola.

I'd like to ask for help to find out artists who I could take as reference to learn playing around with value. It'd mean the world if you people can help me in that.

So, Q: What are good artists who plenty use value contrasts in their art? (even if it's yourself!)
Is there some tip that you can personally give me about that?

Well, thanks a lot!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Do you mean that there is extreme type of lighting. Alot of comics simplyfy the light source, but make it and use black to make an interesting extreme?

Most underpainters will have that sort of thing, and also alot of the old masters, such as Carvaggio,rembrant, Odd Nerdrum. It because what it means is that they would apply the values first, so that way they could play with the light source and concentrate on adding color through glazing (or ratio of more water then paint medium, kind of like your water coloring the valued canvas).

I also remeber there is a forumal that is called 30, 60, 90 lighting rule, which creates that dynamic too. I think its kind of a formula that says like 30% light, 60% dark, and 90% medium. I can't remeber where its from.
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Looking at that kinda style. It is going to be extremely hard to do if you don't understand human anatomy and the facial planes.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
If you want the opposite example of Frank/Mike's hard B&W style, check out Zhanglu's portraits: [link]

He accomplishes incredible depth through really subtle value control, with a range of like 60% between his lightest and darkest grays. You can learn a lot from studying the relative values of those portraits. Many people overblow the value range required to show depth, but keeping it subtle lends a certain realism to it.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Laurence Campbell is an comic artist who I think makes good use of values and contrasts - certainly he has done some great stuff in Judge Dredd that I have really enjoyed.

From my own attempts I'd say that really squinting at things strangely helps break it down into a small number of values.
Add a Comment: