Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

How is your own personal way of practicing and improving your art, and style?

:icondanjamesv:
DANJAMESV Feb 2, 2013   Digital Artist
Pretty straight forward question.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Feb 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
1 - Identify what I want.

This usually includes a collection of images from artists who create work that has elements that I want in my own work. (Not just a collection of things I like, I like a lot of work I don't want to emulate.) I then study the images to see how that artist works. This could be the use of colour, the composition, the shapes etc.

2 - Try something out. I often use digital dolling to prat about because they're small so I can try out colours and ideas.

3 - Analyse image, what's working what is not.

4 - Make another picture keeping in mind where your weaknesses were last time.  Then Analyse, then Make, then Analyse. 6 months later I realise my work has now improved.

Tbh Make and Analyse and Make another picture is the main improvement. Not just make and make and make. The Analysis is the key.
:iconclockwork-madness:
clockwork-madness Feb 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
I try and do some kind of drawing every day, traditional or digital. If it's not for homework, it's generally in the form of sketches, thumbnails, or studies. I'm trying to make much more realistic work so the studies are especially important. :)
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I study how other people draw the things I'd like to draw and maybe go over a few tutorials to get an idea of how things work. After that I try to go solo and fit what I've learned into my own style. I try to avoid too much tutorial drawing since I don't find copying to be a proper way to learn. You might learn how to draw a certain pose but not much beyond that. I also try to pay attention to several artists and styles instead of one specific.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Feb 2, 2013  Student General Artist
I draw stuff whether it may be my own characters, fan art, or just still life. =P
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have a few ways. I look at the things I like, and try to draw fan art of them. Another way is to find a sort of prompt, and draw a design based on that. The final way I practice is fairly common, I just draw OC's, or sketch random things that pop into my head.
:iconcyberpunksammy:
CyberPunkSammy Feb 2, 2013  Student Artist
It's in the heart^^
:iconthesurrealisticmind:
thesurrealisticMind Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I just experiment to find out what I like and don't like. I also try and do some traditional drawings every day.
:iconpetitehands:
PetiteHands Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Even if there is a small chance in winning, I join contests as much as possible just for fun and for the sake of my improvement.
When it comes to practicing my coloring, I buy a coloring book or just borrow linearts from other artists.
:iconxaralta:
I doodle all over my homework, and if I see something that I like, I'll incorporate it into my more serious works. Asking others for critique is also incredibly helpful.
:iconbleachrocks2010:
bleachrocks2010 Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just draw my OC's and try and make them more awesome and incorporate my own style into it.
Add a Comment: