Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Why do I favour drawing things facing the left?

:iconvoaz-kzrhovb:
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Almost all of my drawings have the person or subject facing the left side or front view.

Also all of my shading makes it look as if the light is coming from the rights. Is this because I am right handed or am I just really bad at drawing things in the opposite direction once I've mastered it facing the other direction?

Not that I've ever actually mastered anything though, I'm still working on that part.

Another thing is since I feel I need to take a break from fan art and digital art in general I have a few amateur photos in my gallery. Do any of them seem to have any potential? Or was I just lucky to get a few pretty shots?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I also draw stuff facing left and I'm right handed but I think it's more of a habit. I drag my hand on the surface of the paper when I draw so when drawing something facing right, I feel like I'm going backwards when my hand is dragging on top of the characters face. Just need to sketch more fluidly and try not to smudge the drawing with dragging. Just takes a lot of practice to learn how to draw stuff facing right.
:iconzoey04:
Zoey04 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I do the same thing, enough where my boyfriend points it out lol. I am trying to break that habit but I do favor profile view then anything, maybe it's both comfort and it just feels easier.
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well it's definitely easy which is why I'm concerned about it
:iconzoey04:
Zoey04 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Aye that is true, hehe I think we'd just have to try and draw the other way. Hmm but it is interesting how a person favors one side more than the other.
:iconjio-derako:
Jio-Derako Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I'm left-handed, and I always paint with the light source coming from the right, so I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with handed-ness.
It's just habit, usually; it can also be a side-effect of culture. For example, in most languages, we read from left-to-right and top-to-bottom, so it makes more sense for us to draw characters at the left side of the page facing towards the right. It also makes sense for the light source to be opposite, as well, if they're facing in that direction.
Just try to practice odder lighting schemes, and moving your focal points around (placing the character on the right, putting the focus on the lower-left, different stuff like that). If you're working digitally, you can also start normally, then flip your image from left-to-right and finish it up in that direction. It's also a good habit to flip your work as you're going anyway, since it'll let you catch errors you might not have seen otherwise.
Well thats fair enough. perhaps I could try looking at reverse images of my own drawings and see if i can recreate them first for practice... or take some ref pics...

Thank you for the highly constructive comment!!
:iconjio-derako:
Jio-Derako Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The other benefit of flipping your own work is that it forces your brain to see it as a new image, so sometimes anatomy errors, etc will become more obvious (when you're working on something for a long while, your mind adjusts to compensate for any errors it sees, so you can end up thinking everything's all perfect).
Yeah that's another thing I was thinking... I might be able to find out why I can only seem to draw things one way. It would be of great assistance to my cause... That being a want for greater progress.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This happens to me too, I think it's because I'm right handed. It can be difficult sometimes to catch myself in the act, because drawing the lighting , and scenes that way has become a habit over the years. I still have a lot to work on in correcting it, but I like to think I'm getting better at it. As for your second question about the photos, I can't really answer that. I don't have much experience when it comes to photography.
Hmmm i guess the shading is easier to do when my hand isnt smudging it all.the time... hence me using the opposite direction so that less pencil shading ends up on my hand
Add a Comment: