Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

[HELP NEEDED] Commission pricings

:iconclouver:
Hello dA forum community!
This is my first time posting a thread, so forgive me if I posted it up on the wrong section.

So thing is, I would like to open points/cash commissions very soon. Problem is, I'm having a hard time to decide how much I should charge for each category.
I did a poll up on my page and the top 2 answers were:
1) 5$-10$ or equivalent to 500:points: to 1000:points: (My points=cash rate is 1$=100:points:)
2) <$3 or <300:points:

These two options are waaay different.. So it got me confused.
To be frankly honest I think I deserve to be paid roughly 5$ and above for my work. But of course people is allowed to think otherwise. Yes, my skills are nowhere near flawless/perfect, but I'm practicing! :D

So I am here to politely ask for more opinions, I figure if I use the forums I'd be able to get actual feedback, rather than just anonymous votes. Thank you in advance!

Here are some examples of my work:
Fullbody:

Halfbody: Please excuse the fact that he looks like a girl.. I'm working on that~

Chibi: Also lol excuse the adoptables. I know lots of people here disagree with the idea of selling adoptables but eh.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconenih:
Enih Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist
Well, i would also charge above five dollars. Five dollars is something i would charge for something that took less than 30 mins to do.
Be it doing dishes or drawing for someone.

UNLESS, I really liked the idea of the comission and it was sent digitally. Then i could charge a lot less.
If someone wanted it in their mailbox it would be more expensive, since five dollars bareley covers shipping
It'll be slightly cheaper since I'm focusing on digital commissions only. As in I will not ship anything to anyone's house.
For the time being at least.

Alright thank you for the advice!
:iconladyviridis:
LadyViridis Jan 31, 2013  Professional General Artist
You've got some skill, at least in this particular style.

Honestly, I think you should be selling these in the $10-20 range at least. Especially on your first example, there is plenty of detail that must have taken some time. Don't give that work away for a piddling $5.
Ah yes the first example took me awhile.
Thank you for the input!
:iconglori305:
DA is the worst place to try to sell art, since 1) most people here are artists and make their own so 2) only the very best artists get decent commission prices here because 3) there are people out there, of moderate-good skill level doing commissions for 10 points.

And FWIW 80points = $1 so your point price is higher than your cash price, not that it is necessarily a bad thing, points are only useful here on DA, so charging a premium for taking them is not a bad idea.

I would check and see if you can market elsewhere.

And my general rule of thumb is time it takes multiplied by amount you want to be paid, plus supplies. Remember things like time for advertising, electricity and computer programs ARE supplies, don't think you don't have supplies just because you are a digital artist. Also, IMO artist should be paid at least $10 per hour for their work.
Ah thank you very much for the reply.
Yes I will try my best to try and sell my stuff elsewhere however for the time being I guess this may be the best option for me.

I appreciate your input! Thank you~
Add a Comment: