Closed to new replies
January 26, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Help me find references please

:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm looking for reference on fighting poses. The problem is, browsing through dA stock's gallery I only find people fighting with weapons (I'm looking for bare-hand combat)or doing pretty fight stances that I don't need, I need the actual combat.

I tried googling other stock sites, but the ones I found don't have a category system so it's hard to find anything specific. The Google stopped working so I can't google image it. I tried youtube and all I could find were combats focused on the use of legs (and I'm looking for arms references) or boxing using gloves, those are no good either because I need to see the hands too.

It's the first time I'm having so bad luck looking for references, usually I find useful pics in under 5 mins.

So, help me please? :_(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconakatsukiafiliated:
AkatsukiAfiliated Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
:iconkrissygalaxis:
krissygalaxis Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconsenshistock:
:iconrancidinsomnia:
RancidInsomnia Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
[link] This was on my tumblr dash this morning. It's several sets of poses.
Isho13 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Many thanks for the link. =D
RancidInsomnia Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No problem.
RancidInsomnia Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Try out gettyimages.com, or see if you can get some friends to pose for you.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can't say if it has what you are looking for, but there is some good unarmed combat stuff here; [link]
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Found quite a few barehanded fighting poses under wrestling in the DA gallery
[link]

And under martial arts got a lot of individuals punching and kicking, not so much interaction thought [link]

gotta get creative with your key terms.

Also, a lot of the wrestling ones were nude, so if you are under 18 or have mature filter on you won't see them :)
:iconticklyroach:
TicklyRoach Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you considered looking for hand references separately? It is possible to combine refs, you know ;) also, maybe it would be easier to find what you're looking for if you decided on a specific style of combat instead of just "using bare hands". If it's a bar fight you're trying to draw, type in "bar fight", if it's kickboxing type in "kickboxing". And so on.
Ok, I guess I'll look for Kung fu videos or something. e-e Never thought of the "bar fight" style. lol
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Take a look at Posemaniacs.com, they have a relatively large fighting post section - and it's nice because you can rotate the models to find the angle you're looking for.
You could also go on Youtube and watch sparring matches and pause it whenever you see a move you like. Nothing against ~sagestrike2, but anime fighting poses are hugely incorrect anatomy wise (generally) - if only because the nature of a cartoon is exaggeration. I'd advise sticking with actual human anatomical poses is you're looking for reference. =)
I just told him/her that too. =) I've never heard of posemaniacs.com, I'll go check it out, thanks.
:iconrayn3ll:
Rayn3ll Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   General Artist
Can you get a couple of friends to do the pose for you?
No. I've tried before but all of them are too shy for that. =D
:iconrayn3ll:
Rayn3ll Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013   General Artist
Bribe them with promises of a drink. That usually works for me. ;)
:iconsagestrike2:
SageStrike2 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A way I find different poses when it comes to drawing is I go to bing and look up anime poses, then add whatever topic im looking for.
If you're looking for fighting poses it would be 'anime fighting poses.' Even if youre not an anime artist, it is still a good base in order to understand the human anatomy.
It's not a good base at all. Manga/Anime is based on real anatomy, but it's distorted. If I use as reference something deformed, then I'll deform it even more.
:iconsagestrike2:
SageStrike2 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, no snowflake is exactly the same. That's what I did and it worked for me. Other people might require something different.
Add a Comment: