Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Magazine wants to use my images...how would I go about doing this?

:iconmeganmissfit:
MeganMissfit Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
In the past I've gotten several offers to have my work published on magazine covers, book covers etc. but honestly...I am way too clueless about the legal/copyright stuff involved with these sort of transactions. Is there any place I can read up on this kind of information?

For example, how can I make sure that I still retain full copyright and use of my work? What sort of licensing is involved?
Do I need to draw up my own contract?
Compensation? Should I be charging a percentage per copy, or a flat fee...?

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvegarblack:
vegarBlack Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Artist
Id suggest having a chat to [link] She is really lovely and has been approached about a few of her artworks being used on things like books and educational booklets and CD's. She would most likely be able to answer your questions in a practical sense :) As far as I know the guidelines for how the art can be used can change a lot depending on the buyer and what they want/need.
:iconanimejunkie106:
animejunkie106 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidlines. This book is extremely helpful with these things. It tells you how to go about all of the stuff you have questions about. It have examples of invoices and contracts.

[link]
Add a Comment: