Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

I love drawing but I hate painting?

:icondylstew2:
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I love to draw, but for some reason I hate painting. Whenever I look up something for drawing lessons, I always get ''drawing AND painting'' however,I hate painting.Why is it that people seem to put drawing and painting together all the time? Why can't they be 2 seperate things? What's so appealing about painting opposed to drawing anyway? It seems like more people prefer painting than drawing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondavanart:
davanart Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
I used to be like this. I'm seriously OCD about mistakes and smudges and drawing out of the line. All my friends make fun of me because I'm such a perfectionist but I deliberately avoided painting because I would always screw up and get paint in places on the paper where it's not meant to go. Because of this I avoided it.

Then I got into watercolour. I don't know why but I adore watercolour. It's more subtle than say oil paints, you know?

I don't know what you're like as a person but maybe you don't like painting because when you make a mistake with paint it's hard to correct but I doubt that's what it is. But you know, it's ok if you don't like to paint. There are so many awesome ways to colour out there and not just paint.
:iconjuturn-al:
Juturn-AL Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
I know people who draw but don't paint. I also know people who paint but don't draw. They don't have to go together. But if you have a great foundation on drawing, it will make paintings easier.

People appeal to paintings more than drawings because if you ever go to art shows/exhibits, paintings are where the big bucks are at.
:iconkey-master-himeko:
Key-Master-Himeko Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   Traditional Artist
My figure drawing teacher got his masters in drawing from NYAA and his work is simply breathtaking. He says he hates painting too and that it's just not his thing.
People probably like painting because of what you can do with lighting and colour, and they don't see drawing as having such potential. Painting is also seen as the more fancy artsy-fartsy thing. "You see paintings in galleries, not drawings!" (for the most part)
I really don't know. Colour and fanciness are the only things I can think about.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
I know a lot of people who draw that don't paint. Its really not that odd.

I don't know about classroom lessons, but Lee Hammond has written a good number of How To books for graphite. Looking at your gallery, I think you'd really enjoy them.

If you're just doing this as a hobby, just do what you want and don't apologize for it. Don't let other people's influences convince you to do things you're not interested in.
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I kept raging and giving up on it, then months later make a drawing in which I succeed, then make another drawing, fail and ragequit again.

Your attitude is bad. It's not suited for learning.

the problem is, most of the time I don't feel like drawing anymore(even tough I like it) I'd rather do nothing and game or continue making another review video or chat with people or something.

Then perhaps you don't actually like drawing as much as you thought you did.

so I tried forcing myself to draw, but when I force myself it seems like I can't actually get anything right at all, while when I actually felt like drawing I did great at practicing, and I saw improvement each try on an excercise.

You're looking at drawing like some kind of annoying school homework. Which again means that your motivation isn't high enough.

To get good at something you need to work hard and practice a lot right(which is kind of hard considering I'm a very lazy person) but how will I practice a lot if I don't feel like drawing more than half of the week, and when I force myself I can't draw anything? >.<"

Again, do you actually like drawing?
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
I do, actually, a lot. I just get frustrated too easily, and set the bar too high for myself. You know, when I was younger, I actually enjoyed drawing a lot more, since I didnt give a shit what if it looked good or not..
Then go at your own pace. Don't force yourself to draw like some super awesome artist.

As for classes, usually the introductory level ones will just have drawing. If you have the cash, check out some online classes like these [link]
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
When I draw something and I'm doing good, I really enjoy it. it makes me feel relaxed, and I feel rewarded when I'm done and happy with the result. then I try something else, but I can't get it right. it starts frustrating me, I try again a few times but the frustration builds up. then I get sad and give up. like a month later, the process repeats.
also, that website confuses me 0.o. Basicly, I felt frustrated when searching for an art thing in my area and wrote a bunch of shit on the internet, worded it wrong because of my bad mood , and because of the comments I only made shit worse because you can't edit or delete anything, Well I guess I should just learn from that and don't repeat that mistake...
Hmm, I guess you just need to learn to control the anger and frustration. I'm no psychologist, so I don't really know what to do in your case.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Um....its because you can't paint good. Painting can be the most rewarding activity and is the culmination of being a great artist. But yeah, at your level you probably should stick to drawing and become good at that first. I've seen your drawings and they look very rough.
Add a Comment: