Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

I love drawing but I hate painting?

:icondylstew2:
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I love to draw, but for some reason I hate painting. Whenever I look up something for drawing lessons, I always get ''drawing AND painting'' however,I hate painting.Why is it that people seem to put drawing and painting together all the time? Why can't they be 2 seperate things? What's so appealing about painting opposed to drawing anyway? It seems like more people prefer painting than drawing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondavanart:
davanart Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
I used to be like this. I'm seriously OCD about mistakes and smudges and drawing out of the line. All my friends make fun of me because I'm such a perfectionist but I deliberately avoided painting because I would always screw up and get paint in places on the paper where it's not meant to go. Because of this I avoided it.

Then I got into watercolour. I don't know why but I adore watercolour. It's more subtle than say oil paints, you know?

I don't know what you're like as a person but maybe you don't like painting because when you make a mistake with paint it's hard to correct but I doubt that's what it is. But you know, it's ok if you don't like to paint. There are so many awesome ways to colour out there and not just paint.
:iconjuturn-al:
Juturn-AL Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
I know people who draw but don't paint. I also know people who paint but don't draw. They don't have to go together. But if you have a great foundation on drawing, it will make paintings easier.

People appeal to paintings more than drawings because if you ever go to art shows/exhibits, paintings are where the big bucks are at.
:iconkey-master-himeko:
Key-Master-Himeko Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   Traditional Artist
My figure drawing teacher got his masters in drawing from NYAA and his work is simply breathtaking. He says he hates painting too and that it's just not his thing.
People probably like painting because of what you can do with lighting and colour, and they don't see drawing as having such potential. Painting is also seen as the more fancy artsy-fartsy thing. "You see paintings in galleries, not drawings!" (for the most part)
I really don't know. Colour and fanciness are the only things I can think about.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
I know a lot of people who draw that don't paint. Its really not that odd.

I don't know about classroom lessons, but Lee Hammond has written a good number of How To books for graphite. Looking at your gallery, I think you'd really enjoy them.

If you're just doing this as a hobby, just do what you want and don't apologize for it. Don't let other people's influences convince you to do things you're not interested in.
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I kept raging and giving up on it, then months later make a drawing in which I succeed, then make another drawing, fail and ragequit again.

Your attitude is bad. It's not suited for learning.

the problem is, most of the time I don't feel like drawing anymore(even tough I like it) I'd rather do nothing and game or continue making another review video or chat with people or something.

Then perhaps you don't actually like drawing as much as you thought you did.

so I tried forcing myself to draw, but when I force myself it seems like I can't actually get anything right at all, while when I actually felt like drawing I did great at practicing, and I saw improvement each try on an excercise.

You're looking at drawing like some kind of annoying school homework. Which again means that your motivation isn't high enough.

To get good at something you need to work hard and practice a lot right(which is kind of hard considering I'm a very lazy person) but how will I practice a lot if I don't feel like drawing more than half of the week, and when I force myself I can't draw anything? >.<"

Again, do you actually like drawing?
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
I do, actually, a lot. I just get frustrated too easily, and set the bar too high for myself. You know, when I was younger, I actually enjoyed drawing a lot more, since I didnt give a shit what if it looked good or not..
Then go at your own pace. Don't force yourself to draw like some super awesome artist.

As for classes, usually the introductory level ones will just have drawing. If you have the cash, check out some online classes like these [link]
When I draw something and I'm doing good, I really enjoy it. it makes me feel relaxed, and I feel rewarded when I'm done and happy with the result. then I try something else, but I can't get it right. it starts frustrating me, I try again a few times but the frustration builds up. then I get sad and give up. like a month later, the process repeats.
also, that website confuses me 0.o. Basicly, I felt frustrated when searching for an art thing in my area and wrote a bunch of shit on the internet, worded it wrong because of my bad mood , and because of the comments I only made shit worse because you can't edit or delete anything, Well I guess I should just learn from that and don't repeat that mistake...
Hmm, I guess you just need to learn to control the anger and frustration. I'm no psychologist, so I don't really know what to do in your case.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Um....its because you can't paint good. Painting can be the most rewarding activity and is the culmination of being a great artist. But yeah, at your level you probably should stick to drawing and become good at that first. I've seen your drawings and they look very rough.
That's because drawing is hard as hell and I keep ragequitting, and there's no way to make it not look rough.. yet.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have always considered drawing and painting to be different. For both of them it's important to know the basics , but they have enough differences between one another that I can understand hating one and loving the other.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
Eh...there's really nothing necessarily wrong with this. In fact, one of my painting teachers said he started painting in 2003(?) when before then he had been doing nothing but drawing. I sort of started backwards, I began painting in a serious fashion and THEN wanted to learn drawing in a serious fashion, hahaha. Then again...even though I only started taking art seriously a year ago, I did draw as a hobby before I decided to start painting. I believe drawing is a good skill to learn, so you can learn how art works and the principles of design, which pretty much makes a piece of art...art. Painting takes a bit more time ( depending on what medium you're using...) but I personally just enjoy the whole painting process. I paint a lot more than I draw, but I believe that learning how to draw properly is a good and important skill for an artist to learn.
Thanks for all the advice, you gave me some motivation to actually try painting
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   Traditional Artist
Im the opposite to you in that i hate drawing but love painting. Drawing is a nessesary evil to me and is essential for idea generation. So i guess its best to be more rounded in your art education.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
Painting is a great way to learn how color works, building volume using light and shadow. It's also just great to have another medium under your belt. The more you know, as they say.

I love drawing, do most of my work with drawing, but I have to say when I decided to start painting five or six years ago, I learned so much more. All that knowledge overlapped into my drawing work as well.

Is there a reason why you hate painting? Most artists love trying new mediums. Is it because it's so different than what you're used to, you're having difficulty with it? You shouldn't hate it because it is a challenge, but feel thrilled to tame it and make it your own.
I think it's because it's different, very different. and I don't like change at all. I actually don't like trying new things at all xD. But the comments did make me consider to actually try it. but I still can't really draw that well yet. I kept raging and giving up on it, then months later make a drawing in which I succeed, then make another drawing, fail and ragequit again. Now I want to actually not give up and learn to draw. the problem is, most of the time I don't feel like drawing anymore(even tough I like it) I'd rather do nothing and game or continue making another review video or chat with people or something. so I tried forcing myself to draw, but when I force myself it seems like I can't actually get anything right at all, while when I actually felt like drawing I did great at practicing, and I saw improvement each try on an excercise. To get good at something you need to work hard and practice a lot right(which is kind of hard considering I'm a very lazy person) but how will I practice a lot if I don't feel like drawing more than half of the week, and when I force myself I can't draw anything? >.<
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
Becoming great at something is always that fight between quitting because it's hard and pushing through because it's worth it. I actually built an "art time" into my daily schedule. It's become such a habit, if I don't work on art at my given time, I feel out of place.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I just read you want to be a comics and an animator.

Of course if you want to do anything, you don't have to listen. You can just use a pencil, and inks.

But if you want to be a good artist, you should be more open to do something. If you want to do those especially classes, you are going to require to paint or use a brush. There are various comics that use painting, pencils, inks, or both. The thing is some black and white comics use a brush because it fills the page faster then using a pencil sometimes. You can get water textures that pencils can't do.

I took animation class and yes there was no tools but we did have to use wash pencil and a paint brush.

And I gurantee if you take animation that focuses on backgrounds, you will likely to paint with a brush.

And you are not correct when you can't make detail images with paint. I don't think you ever hear of hyper-realism or photorealism. YOu have to get a big canvas sometimes to see alot of detail.

From thebeswes forum, it just sounds like your just struggling with paint that you can't make precise lines. The thing is don't make too precise. Start painting by planning first, then block everything in and then refine it.

I feel acrylics or gouche does a good job, because both you can paint over a different color. So after blocking it in, you can refine the paint.

Also painting can transfer alot to digital. If you understanding why people paint digital, traditional is a good foundation. If your going to make backgrounds, your going to have to make color sometime. Sure there are pastels, and pencils, but if your going digital and say I want to draw a comic, sometimes there will be painting.
I do like digital somehow, with my wacom tablet(it's just that I don't know how things work for it yet) and I never knew you could paint so percise, since it never feeled like it when I was forced to paint at school. I want to make flash animations, and voice act for them. I just want to do it as a hobby, but it has always been my dream. I've just never really tried because I thought I could never do it anyway. I'll quote my comment from another person I replied to :

''But the comments did make me consider to actually try it. but I still can't really draw that well yet. I kept raging and giving up on it, then months later make a drawing in which I succeed, then make another drawing, fail and ragequit again. Now I want to actually not give up and learn to draw. the problem is, most of the time I don't feel like drawing anymore(even tough I like it) I'd rather do nothing and game or continue making another review video or chat with people or something. so I tried forcing myself to draw, but when I force myself it seems like I can't actually get anything right at all, while when I actually felt like drawing I did great at practicing, and I saw improvement each try on an excercise. To get good at something you need to work hard and practice a lot right(which is kind of hard considering I'm a very lazy person) but how will I practice a lot if I don't feel like drawing more than half of the week, and when I force myself I can't draw anything? >.<''
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student General Artist
So, the problem is not the style or painting, its just your feelings about drawing.

One thing to remind yourself is drawing is not alway going to be easy and it takes years to master. Its like a giant scientific experiment or your trying to play the guitar or an instrument. Its highly unlikely that someone masters it in a few days or months, unless your completely immersed in it. Look at all the masters, they got some path that is hidden from the public and yet they took years to hone their craft. Through immense struggles, patience, really observing an object, and working hard, that is how you get there. There is never true shortcuts if you want to make art close to stuff in the entertainment industry.

Secondly, you should exercise to be intense and also loose. When studying, do things slow and easy. Drawing ain't a race, your practicing. And yet do fast drawings for gesture and trying to be loose. Just relax.

If your lazy, I can't do much because thats really up to you if you want to draw. Though some advice would be to make a list for things to draw. Have little goals, breaks down the big goals and can make you feel less overwhelmed. Remove distractions

Some other advice can be found around the internet. Artist hospital list alot of these:
dylstew2 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
thanks for the advice. but 1 thing that makes learning drawing harder then learning an instrument for me( I'm learning acoustic guitar right now) is that with the guitar, my teacher just gives me a certian little thing to practice,and I know exactly what to do and exactly what I'm doing wrong and what I should do to improve it. Plus, If I learn a certian song or to read certian notes, I know that thing and I can play it again when I want to. with drawing I never know anything, it feels so confusing.
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
Your also saying you need practice stuff.

The thing that the teacher does, is gives an assignment based on what you learned today. Its practically the same basis for every teaching method Ive come accross. So today you learn about color and how light is? Then you do a study. Your basically trying to learn from the teacher on what he/she is saying.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Love drawing and hate painting? What a weird thing to say. To me that's kind of like saying 'I love words, but I hate books'. Drawing is a precursor to painting.
Maybe the reason you hate painting is because you're no good at it?
That's basicly what I mean, everyone acts like they're the same, but to me they feel completely different. Actually, I kind of hate reading books, but I don't mind reading dialogue in a game( like phoenix wright ace attorney, a game with basicly only text and it's one of my favourite games) xD
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
Understandable

I like doing both, but painting is harder to set up
:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
Perhaps painting just takes you out of your comfort zone? You certainly don't have to paint many succesful artists never do, but havn't you considered that you might be more comfortable with drawing simply because you do that a whole lot more and it feels good to know what you are doing as oposed to painting where you feel in over your head?
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Drawing is the foundation of painting. You can't paint well until you understand the drawing fundamentals. No one is forcing you to like painting, perhaps you're not searching for the right things.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I'm not huge on painting either, but I think it can teach anyone a LOT about form and color. I've been forcing myself to paint lately and I've been learning a lot.

I've seen plenty of books just on drawing media- ie pencil or pen. If you're doing digital, these books can still help you.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I prefer drawing. The reality...I have no feel for painting. I like the feel of a point of lead or nib on paper...a paint brush...too much give.
Like all things artistic...it's a matter of preference. I'm not sure where you're looking stuff up....I know when it comes to books...plenty of separate drawing & painting books.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
If you are looking to become a professional artist, the more diverse your skill set the better.

If you are just drawing for your own enjoyment, do what you would like.

If you go up with a portfolio of all drawings, against someone with some paintings as well, you are probably not going to get the job. Theirs will just pop more, because of the color work that is in there as well. It is also not beyond the realm of possiblity for you to need to do a painting as a promo item for a comic, I have seen paintings for sale, and painting made into posters by comic artists. If you can not do the paintings for promo's and the other artist can, then the other guy is the artist they want to hire.

If you are going to school for some type of art degree, they will generally requrie that you do multiple mediums.
Just a hobby, but thats the thing that got me to make this topic, why if I want to learn to draw I also have to learn to paint, if drawing is the thing I actually want to do? Other art forms are seperate,so why not this one? All I really care about is digital , and just drawing, but it seems like there's no way not to be forced to paint if I want to go to a plaace where I can learn to draw better huh?
I also don't know how I could get better anyway. you could say practice and work hard, but the problem is many times I don't feel like drawing. at those times I try to force myself. But when I force myself, I start drawing really badly and I get frustrated more easily. so the solution would be to only draw when I feel like it huh? But if I only draw when I feel like it I'll never be able to learn to draw better >.<. and sorry that I worded my openingpost very wrong, I tend to do that alot when I'm in a bad mood and don''t pay attention. what I said makes it seem like I'm insulting people that paint, I should watch what I type somteimes. Seems like you can't edit on DA. Guess I just learned that the hard way
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
If you are only drawing for a hobby, only draw when you feel like it. But be sure when you feel like it you devote some time to problem areas.

And there are just drawing classes out there, I can not tell you how to find them in your area, but once you hit college level courses, drawing and painting are always seperated out, and even if you do not go to college for art, you can still take them.
I don't hate on people that paint, I worded myself wrong , I just don't like painting myself is what I should have said, and I hate how when I want to look for drawing lessons It has to include painting too, and I wanted to ask the appeal of painting, which I got some answers to.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I thought that's what you meant. But, what do I know, it's been a long time since I was dealing primarily in English.
:iconcapilair:
Capilair Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Dude...dont diss painting. If no one liked painting and drawing was always preffered everything would pretty much be in gray-scale. Painting might be a bit more difficult and messier at first but once you actually take time to learn its quirks you can go far beyond than with drawing.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Painting gives it color. Which is why people do it.

I don't like coloring traditionally, it's literally been years since I've done it. Really it comes down to it taking up time and room, and of course money, I'd rather spend doing other things. I hate waiting for paint to dry.

But I love coloring on the computer.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The reason dislike painting, in general, is because it takes longer to do as opposed to drawing which is quicker by comparison. In painting, you can give your art a certain texture and "feel" to it that you otherwise wouldn't accomplish with drawing, because it's a more complex method.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
That's a stylistic thing. When I paint, I paint in a painterly fashion that's generally fairly quick. And when I draw, I draw in a realistic fashion which takes ages to complete.

One of the great things about oil painting is that even if you stick to just one hue, saturation and value, you can still have a painting with interest. It's just kind of conceptual with the brush strokes being the method of communicating.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, and some kinds of paint are too strong. :)
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
"What's so appealing about painting opposed to drawing anyway?"

were you born retarded, or did you develop this later in life following, say, repeated blows to the head?
I'm just asking your opinion, you don't have to insult me
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
my opinion is that you sound retarded. I can't convey that any other way.

I know that many other people will agree with me, so I feel no guilt.
Just because I worded myself wrong once in my life doesn't make me suddenly retarded. I have problems with that sometimes because of my asperger syndrome, stop being such a dick.
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
suck it up. someone on the internet criticizing your opinion is probably the least important thing that could ever happen to you.
Go fuck yourself
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
be mad :la:
eh, I'm not mad. I honestly don't care anymore. I gave you a watch by the way, you deserve that because your art is awesome.
(1 Reply)
:iconthebestwes:
thebestwes Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
Painting takes a lot of getting used to just to be able to use the materials, and drawing is more straightforward. That's probably why you love the one and hate the other; you need to get used to painting. The good news is that right now you should be working on your drawing more than anything else. Painting is like uberdrawing. You've got to walk before you can run.
The reason I want to learn to draw is because I want to learn to make comics and animation, especially animation. Also, with drawing you can be more percise and shade more easily. I don't think painting looks much better either. also, I never liked coloring xD
Add a Comment: