Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 53

Delaying your own self promotion?

:icondaws3:
Daws3 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013   General Artist
Has anyone else ever gone through periods of not wanting to promote yourself because you don't want people to see your work as it currently is?
I know I'm not horrible, sometimes I feel pretty good about my work, but other times I just feel like it could be so much better and I don't want to do things to promote myself until it's where I feel like it should be. I want people's first impression to be so much more than I feel like it will be, so I avoid drawing people to my page or other places they can view my work.
What about you guys, have any of you ever felt this way?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlittlebabyshoes:
littlebabyshoes Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
I know that feeling. It just seems wrong to show off a piece you can see mistakes in, you know? Even if no one else sees them or even if you worked really hard at the piece. I guess we all can't help but compare ourselves to people who are better or start feeling like our art skills just don't live up to our expectations.

... I usually just swallow my fears and post the artwork regardless of all the complaints I have. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with my work and if I gave in to my fears everytime, I would never post anything.

But to be honest, I'm hardly ever happy with my stuff. I just hope from the bottom of my heart that I don't disappoint people somehow. There really isn't any solution to these feelings other than to just get better! :'D
Daws3 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   General Artist
Sometimes I do feel satisfied but I feel like I see things when I post them that I don't in person, and then it starts to eat at me! Thanks for the reply :)
:iconrj700:
rj700 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I sometimes don't want to promote my work, but it's because I'm scared it'll come to nothing. I wanna make a bit of money from my art, but I keep having to drop ideas, or find out I can't do it, and I'm worried if I did do it, there'd be no one there interested in buying it.
I know exactly how you feel. I'm telling you though I've seen people with far less skill than you gain a decent level of success, through just pure self promotion essentially. Not everyone will like your stuff obviously, but I'm confident if you tried your hardest you could find a market for your work.
Thanks, I appreciate it :) Unfortunately my main idea for making money was selling drawings of celebrities, but I've recently found out it's illegal, unless I have the permission of the celebrity and the person who took the photo. So I'm not sure how else I can turn my art into a business
You could do commissioned portraits of regular people? :) I think many people would love to have a portrait of themselves, their family members, a photo they love, etc.
Also, not that I'm condoning it but in this world of fanart and the like there's millions of people making money in ways that aren't exactly legal. In addition I think there may be ways around that, I'm just thinking there must be because I've seen multiple iconic portraits of celebrities done where I'm almost positive the artist did not get consent and they were able to make money off it.
You might look into loopholes if you really want to do celebrities. A lot of the laws regarding art seem to contain quite a few loopholes which one could exercise if they simply phrase their reasoning the right way.
Yeah, I thought about doing normal commissions, but I did one of those late last year and it was quite stressful, but I'll probably think more about it. It's more than possible that I could do it without getting into trouble, but I think it's still illegal. Sometimes when it does go to court freedom of speech wins over in the artists favour, but it's not really something I should rely on. A lot of people do it because with all the people doing it very few of them will get into trouble, also a lot of them probably just don't know. I'd probably be okay, I'm just a bit apprehensive. But thanks for the tips, I think I might look into it a bit more, 'cause I really feel I could do well with it :)
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional General Artist
I just hate promoting myself. Obviously I'd like for more people to see my work, but I'd rather not whore myself out w/ constant dA/FB/twitter/etc. posts that keep cutting into my time, you know, actually CREATING artwork. You see it all the time: "market yourself, market yourself",....which basically means set aside half your time posting on social networking sites to build up hype for a product that'll only reach a portion of that hype b/c you've been taking too much time away from focusing on the product to promote.

Of course, that's just the case w/ those doing this solo. I'm just gonna look towards an experienced promoter who actually likes doing that sort of stuff and focus on what I do best: creating content.
Yeah I start to feel like I'm bugging people. For me it's not the problem of wasting time (I do that quite well :P) I just feel like I'm bothering people. I've been saying for ages I'd LOVE to have someone like an agent who just took care of that stuff for me, because 1) I'm terrible at it, 2) I hate doing it and 3) I have no idea what I'm doing. The problem for me is money to hire said person and finding the right fit.
:iconzinspiresofresh:
Zinspiresofresh Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
I'm the same way; I always feel like my artwork needs more perfecting if I notice even the smallest of errors on it (and this is because I compare myself to the artists that I think are better than me). I feel like I'm almost ready to show off my artwork soon though because I have to eventually anyway. I'm just taking my time perfecting each flaw I see (I know I will always have a flaw, but if I notice it I will try to fix it) because I noticed that I make much better art by taking it at a slow pace (no rushing). I'm trying to get rid of some mistakes I did when I got fed up with some of my old art.
Add a Comment: