Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 81

So what part of your drawing skills are you working on this year?

:iconmeganekun:
meganekun Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Do you guys have anything specific you're working to improve on this 2013?

I've only recently properly learned working in GIMP, so I think I'll take another stab at learning how to digitally color my lineart. So cleanup / coloring.

I've also been trying more... varied poses in my works (none that appeared in my gallery yet, though).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconinnocentfate:
Innocentfate Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:damphyr: :bulletpink: Since I'm a variety artist my main focus is to improve on everythang :D Mostly on anatomy xD
:iconurlordjesus:
urlordjesus Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Five Things

1) Actually Drawing... Too often I... do other things.... and procrastinate drawing... like I am right now
2) Hands (this is difficult)
3) Improving at Figure. Right now my figure only looks decent when I clothe it
3b) Learning to draw breasts that don't look... wrong...lopsided and whatnot.
4) Perspective, Backgrounds and other objects
5) Paneling and Sequential Art
:icondariushseif:
DariushSeif Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Everything, I really want to become a comic book artist but I never really got around to practising as I thought the goal was near impossibru. So I'm mainly trying to work on humans, especially hands, faces and feet...oh and muscles XD I have a very long way to go
:iconrj700:
rj700 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm hoping to become a better portrait artist, I also want to learn to create my own characters and do other people's characters in my own style. My main thing this year is to try and figure out a way of making money from my art
:iconticklyroach:
TicklyRoach Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Humans. Humans, humans, humans. And drawing from life. I have a bad tendency to make things up when I'm drawing.
:icondevilkid-chan:
DevilKid-chan Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a traditional artist, but recently, I've decided I'd like to do a digital piece every now and then~ so I've just been drawing a lineart, and then scanning it and putting it on Paint.net for a fiddle. I will do 1 digital piece at a time and nice and slowly, just when I have the chance to work on it, and when I finish, I will start another. Just a nice lazy practise really :aww:
I'm also hoping to get better at anatomy, positioning and generally everything else. I'd like to attempt a proper comic someday. :XD:
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
GIMP is a tough program to work with sometimes. I find it counter-intuitive sometimes when I use it. But it does what it's supposed to do I guess. xD

Personally, I need to work on backgrounds and hands and feet. But since my art is guided by a story, I just practice what I think the next shot calls for. So it will vary for me.
:iconxannijn:
Xannijn Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Filmographer
Digital colouring and animation with a tablet. :noes: I usually feel bad about it when I have to draw thousands of frames on real paper. Still, it's just what I do, but if I can get the hang of it digitally not as many trees will be sacrificed. ^^;
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Lately I've been trying to work on opposing poses and solid drawing when it comes to my characters. Hopefully I'll be able to work on things like more technical backgrounds, proper analysis of anatomy, caricature, conceptual development for a lot of the ideas I have, 3D modeling and texturing, and animation in 2D and 3D.
:iconhopelesspandora:
HopelessPandora Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm try trying to put more thought into backgrounds, and I'm starting some realism practice.
:icontheworldisbehindus:
theworldisbehindus Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Human anatomy. Especially torsos and limbs.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
hands
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
Environments, and having characters live within them and interact with them in my illustrations.
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have to admit that I'm totally lost because I have so many things to learn... But I think for now I'm gonna focus more on poses and expressions since they're some of the most important things on giving life to a drawing.
:iconmizaradioaktiv:
MizaRadioaktiv Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Anatomy of human hands and feet. I've always had trouble with drawing hands.
:iconsewlolita:
SewLolita Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   General Artist
human anatomy, backgrounds, colours... prettymuch anything I currently think I suck at :)
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I'm starting to seriously study motion and animation. Also trying to improve my composition and communicating ideas more clearly through visuals. I want to more clearly articulate my thoughts about characters and situations through pictures.
:iconhannahbanana1984:
HannahBanana1984 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I desperately need to work on perspective.

Also want to work on anatomy and color.
meganekun Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Good luck!
:icondutchorca:
DutchOrca Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Adding backgrounds to my work :)
I used to only focus on the subject and when that was done I laid down a flat-color background for my cards and for the graphite drawings I just left the background mostly blank.
For most of the cards I made this year, I have added a background and it just adds a bit more to the overall look and impact.

I'm also planning to challenge myself a bit more and step out of my comfort zone. Not sure how though...
Hmmm, for the "stepping out of the comfort zone", if I could make a suggestion: Try drawing people doing everyday things. Like the act of cooking something in the kitchen, for example. It'd also help since you're planning to improve on backgrounds as well.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
Hmmm, I think I'd like to improve on drawing people a bit better and working on my shading technique.
Good luck! Do you have any models for the people drawing bit?
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I use reference photos.
:iconiamsketchcat:
IamSKETCHcat Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I progressed VERY MUCH AT 2012 year, now i want jutting become slowly better and better in all-animating, anatomy, fur and texture, shading , plus i want improve my creatures drawings, i want draw them as good as simple animals!
Your animal sketches are nicely detailed! I like them. Here's to more improvements this year!
:iconiamsketchcat:
IamSKETCHcat Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
huh yep,i still find new art styles!
:iconshoppingmonk:
ShoppingMonk Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
psycho painting
:iconkittysophie:
kittysophie Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
anatomy, lineart , drawing hands :D
Man, hands still give me the fits, especially female hands.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Probably using a tablet. That's a drawing skill, right?
Yep! Whatcha have?
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
I've got a graphire, but somehow the pen's gone missing, so I'll likely get one of those monoprice ones as the cost of a new pen is just about the cost of a new tablet.
:iconalalampone:
alalampone Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Artist
I'm planning to teach myself a bit of animation so I'm not completely lost when I get to college
and I'm working on loosing up my art and making it flow better and I think I'm doing pretty okay so far
Mind if I ask what medium of animation (pencil & paper, flash, after effects, etc) you're going to try learning?
alalampone Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Artist
I don't have flash or after effects so I was planning on just doing little practice things in photoshop cs5
Flash would be a worthwhile program to get your hands. It makes traditional animation really easy to do on the computer. Flipbook's a good alternative as well.

You should also try to get your hands on Richard Williams' "Animator's Survival Kit." It's a terrific resource for animation of any sort.
Yeah, I'm liking your poses, they feel very natural. I like the "flapper" PM.
alalampone Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Artist
thanks!
:iconshoumakyou:
shoumakyou Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
better anatomy, backgrounds drawing, manga drawings, fashion clothing for anime, and hairstyle. I still have a long way to go.
All of us have some ways to go, so you're not alone in that regard :) Good luck!
:iconbamboo-warrior:
Bamboo-Warrior Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm only using Gimp for animating and stuff right now XD
I need to still learn about Gimp as well.

Right now I'm just working on my action poses, shading, and wanting to try different clothes.
"wanting to try different clothes"

How about fewer clothes! Eh? Eh? :D
:iconbamboo-warrior:
Bamboo-Warrior Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
XD One step at a time. I still need to get a good grasp on my anatomy, otherwise it may not look proportional if I do that.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
For 2013 my goal is to get better at drawing things in action, scenes and of course continue to improve on my ability to use the materials I have available , and drawing things I'm uncomfortable with.
I've heard it as well, that they say drawing things/ drawing in styles that you're uncomfortable with is one of the quicker ways to grow as an artist. I should probably try that too.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That's what I hear! I just hope it works out as well as I want it to lol.
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm trying to improve on anatomy and learn to do digital.
I don't know if this is good advice, but try drawing chubby or muscular characters, maybe it'll give you a wider range/understanding of anatomy? Either way, let's keep at it :D
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, drawing a bigger range of body types probably would be helpful. I'll be sure to try it. Thanks for the advice :)
Add a Comment: