Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Cross-stitching

:iconspearcarrier:
spearcarrier Jan 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
So I've always wanted to take my artwork and turn them into cross-stitch patterns. And I'm looking for a couple of model stitchers.

A model stitcher is someone who creates the cross stitch for a company, usually in exchange for being the first to do the pattern or having their supplies reimbursed. Sometimes the company just lets them keep the work so long as they can provide a really good photo.

I can't pay you because me making cross-stitch patterns is only a hobby, really, and I haven't sold one to date. But I thought having them done would be nice regardless. And I don't think I'll be able to make patterns very often.

So if you wanna model stitch for me, please PM me.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrhaben:
rhaben Jan 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
I found a place years ago that will have people stitch a sample. I believe they charge about $.01 per stitch. I think this is the site: [link]
You may want to try it yourself. Cross stitch is very easy and is a good way to keep your hands busy when watching tv or listening to music.

And as someone else mentioned, you could just simply put the pattern on one of the cross stitch groups here and ask the stitchers to send you photos of the finished piece.
spearcarrier Jan 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
I wasn't sure where the cross stitching groups were?

As it is, the etsy group was very open and friendly with me on the matter and three people asked for a free pattern. I may never see a return, but that's okay. Someone liked and complimented my patterns. Who could ask for anything more really?

As for trying cross-stitching, I have some projects around here. The thing that holds me up is time. I work long long hours - commissions and all that. It's a living.
:iconvglory:
If you are just looking for a way to get you art stitched, this is not the 'model stitcher' model. You are not offering them the prestige of working with a known designer or brand, or first access to a pattern thousands of people will line up to make.

I would suggest just putting the pattern out there and asking anyone who makes it to send you a picture.
spearcarrier Jan 24, 2013  Professional General Artist
Which is what I'm doing, see, by saying "You can have this, no obligation."
Best done without suggesting you are looking for a "model stitcher". That sets up incorrect expectations that could bite you later.
spearcarrier Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well I AM looking for someone who is willing to let me use what they've done as a model, thus a model stitcher. I did my research before posting that thread, even to the point of knowing most companies offer the same thing I offered except for two extra conditions: THEY want perfect stitches AND they want you to finish by a certain time. I'm not a company.

And there's no nit-picking on earth that can change the fact that me offering a free pattern in return for a *possible* favor (as in no real obligation) is nothing to get upset about. It's pretty much like an art trade, really.

Interestingly I used the term "model stitcher" in other places and didn't get anywhere near the reaction I got here at all. It was a very favorable reaction by people who were glad there was no obligation and appreciative of the gift I had to offer.

So, my offer through Deviantart is done. I also am done with this thread. :-)

Good luck to all of you.
I have already explained why it is a false equivalence. You may have gotten a different reaction here because some of the people here actually are model stitchers.
spearcarrier Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well, whether it's a false equation or not you'd have to tell a lot of professional companies that - at least the 2 dozen I looked at in the past couple of weeks. And it does NOT make up for looking a gift horse in the mouth, period. Or for not paying attention to what a post says before mouthing off.

But I'll leave this field to you people to keep nitpicking at. I don't care one way or the other... I must prefer to stay where the professionalism actually exists.
:iconglori305:
Should go in the projects forum.

And there are not a lot of crafters on the forums. Add to that you are asking someone to donate a huge time commitment for not even the promise of being able to keep the item.

I have done cross stitching, but would not take this offer.

But I will give you a free bump to your thread, maybe someone will.
spearcarrier Jan 23, 2013  Professional General Artist
Interestingly I was expecting a response like this.

To address the first point: I really couldn't figure out where to put it, so I figured "general" was as good a place as any. I didn't say what I was offering, so please don't lump me in with the professional shops. Mostly I thought it was a good conversation topic, eh.

So I'll clarify for everyone.

And as my post stipulates, I'm pointing out what companies generally offer which is one of the two:
1. they get to be the first who do the pattern ever
2. they can keep their work and provide a decent photo or they get a small compensation.

I did my research. I haven't found any companies that actually pay hourly money for it.

But as I said before I can't offer anything. So I guess I'll decide on the following based on the business models I found.

If anyone would like to do any of my patterns for free, I'd be much obliged to give you one of your choosing. All I ask in return for me *giving you my pattern for free* is a photo of things when you're done. I'm not going to expect what the shops expect: perfect stitches in the back, etc. Nah. As I said before I don't do this for money.

I also won't expect a photo by any particular deadline like a shop would. If it takes you years, so be it. I just thought this would be a fun scratch back thing for folks who like to cross stitch. You get a free pattern. I get a photo that I can use in my etsy shop or some place like that. :-)

Oh, and thanks for the bump.
Add a Comment: