January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

What are these clothing terms?

:iconkarric:
Karric Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
[link]

Anyone know what each colored clothing item is called? For the green one, what is that style called.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontreyplaisance:
TreyPlaisance Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Form fitting bodices that flare out from the waistline to a full skirt. These gowns have a seamless waist.
A fitted or shaped piece at the top of a skirt or at the shoulder of various garments.
A high, wide, straight neckline that runs straight across the front and back, meeting at the shoulders; the same depth in the front and back.

Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Going to depend on the area of the world. The pink bit is commonly called a wrap or shawl in english, but that is something that has been used in cultures all over the world, and has different names around the globe. The blue bit I would call a loincloth.

I would probably refer to the green as a halter top, although the process of taking a piece of fabric and tying it around your back/neck/brests like that is also something else that has happened all over the world and might have many names.
:iconkarric:
Karric Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, that's the trouble. I was hoping for explicit terms with no ambiguity. Seems like that's not possible in English.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Only clothing specific to one region will have that. And even there, if there are multiple laungages, there will be mulitple terms. But a bustle (popular in the 1900's, made your but look bigger) is pretty specific, but there was not an equivilant in Africa.

A Kimono only existed in Japan, and while Korean and Chinese cultures had similar garmets, there were some specific things that made a kimono stand out as individual, making it distinct with no abiguity.

The simpler a clothing item gets, the more common it is, and the less specific you can get for the terminology.
:iconfuee:
Fuee Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   General Artist
Pink is either a shawl or a stole, I think. Teal is a loincloth. I just call green a wrap shirt. No idea if it has a name.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
if it's sort of Native American? loincloth. But...& I could easily be wrong, again in Native American tradition...I think it was worm mostly by men.

anyway... [link]
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
worm? Worn. I think the pink piece would be considered a wrap...the "bra" piece...just a cleverly used scarf...but there might be an term for how it's used...cross-tie or something.
Add a Comment: