Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

As a new-ish deviant I am confused about several things. Could someone answer some questions or me?

:iconamericanacelta:
AmericanaCelta Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
1st of all, is this the place to ask questions or is there somewhere else?
2nd, what are adoptables?

3d how much to charge for commissions?

4rth, how does one process commissions, like do they email the artwork or simply post it on dA so the people can download it?

5th, I am super confused about all these people drawing ponies. Are they from a tv show or something? And what's with the guys who are drawing the ponies??

6th question, are the answers to the questions obvious and will I end up saying "duh"?

Lol if someone could answer these questions for me I would be very grateful!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongshazzaam:
gshazzaam Jan 23, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
umm hello im looking for artists that can colori digitally to help me with my art reply back if intrested
AmericanaCelta Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't have much time, but I might be interestesed
:icongshazzaam:
gshazzaam Jan 26, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Note me wat I'll be able 2. Do
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
1st of all, is this the place to ask questions or is there somewhere else?
It really depends on what you mean. If you want art questions generally, you go to the general forums. Its a matter of really reading the forums and the stickys to help give clue.

2nd, what are adoptables? Pre made characters that are traded or sold to a new owner, Hence, Adoptables.

3d how much to charge for commissions? This is pretty much has not much of deviant art, but just commissions in general. The answer is, there isn't a bases for comissions because various people propose prices differently. Though a good way to start off is to calculate how much your material costs+ (hours x minimun wage)

4rth, how does one process commissions, like do they email the artwork or simply post it on dA so the people can download it?
There are two currencies accepted in Deviant art: Points and real money. Points are deviantart's currency, but can't be resold, traded, or spent outside of deviantart's Store. Where as, real currency you can spend outside.

One rule is to never sell fanart through deviantart because its a policy. If you want to sell outside, use paypal and process that differently. But even fanart, you just have to be careful on selling as there is so much fine prints and copyright holes on fanart.

5th, I am super confused about all these people drawing ponies. Are they from a tv show or something? And what's with the guys who are drawing the ponies??
My Little pony. See know your meme for more information why bronies and guys like it.
[link]

6th question, are the answers to the questions obvious and will I end up saying "duh"?
Maybe. I think easily you can look those up on google, as with anything now Days. Still, its ok to answer anyway.

More DA questions? There is a FAQ link if you scroll all the way down at the bottom of the page.
AmericanaCelta Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you! that clears things up. I did not see the FAQ I had been looking around for such a place.
:iconweremole:
weremole Jan 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
1) Depends on the questions. Some more general ones are touched on in the FAQs.
2) Basically small pre-made character or creature designs for sale. Mostly among young users that want points to buy stuff as they lack bank cards of their own.
3) I assume you mean real money here. I'd say charge by hour, nothing below minimum wage and consider how long it would take. Just because you accept commissions doesn't mean that you are entitled to clients though. People who want what you can do for them has to know you exist.
4) However you want and however you and the client decide. Email, dropbox, wetransfer, snail mail, etc. But the last option, upload to DA and download. I'd avoid that since it means EVERYONE can get a high res file.
5) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is indeed a show and it became crazy popular and even dudes caught on.
6) Some depend on site culture and others on bussiness so not really.
Thank you for enlightening me :P It helped me not be so confused. I still don't get why guys would be fans of a show about ponies that looks like it was intended for little girls, but who am I to judge since I haven't watched it.
weremole Jan 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Women love Die Hard, the Avengers or Transformers and they aren't met with disbelief.
Some of the pony people take it a bit far but that's true of absolutely any fandom.
Too true... I shouldn't judge, everyone to their own. But in that case are there male fan bases of other similar things like the Barbie movies, or Strawberry Shortcake? I would imagine they wouldn't be too different from My Little Pony since they are also geared towards little girls....
weremole Jan 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Not that I know of but things like magical girl cartoons, Disney princess movies and romance comics have similar crossover appeal. Friendship Is Magic gained notoriety because of writing that didn't talk down to kids and it had a variety of role models. There is a myth arc, a conflict and even world building. Since people where baffled they told everybody they knew and it spread rapidly.
Add a Comment: