Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 225

In all honesty, how good do you think you are?

:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
Before I go any further, I clarify I think we can all agree none of us are where we hope to be. We all wanna improve.

But in all honesty, how do you feel about your skill level? And don't be shy! Be honest and don't worry about seeming insecure or egotistical.

I'll go first. When compared to people I know personally who are artists, I feel like a master artist. No one I know really dedicates as much time as I do. Not saying that as a bad, I just have a lot of free time I guess lol.

BUT when it comes to artists on the internet and just what artists around the world are capable of in general, I feel OK. I'm better then some, but there are many many more that make me feel mediocre. Aside from a few key pieces I have that I feel I did very well (which still have lots of flaws) I feel like I've got eons to go.

How about you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconivorysinkshore:
ivorysinkshore Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Student Writer
I'd say average but every once in a blue moon I write something that is way above me.
:iconladyviridis:
LadyViridis Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I rate myself as "pretty freakin' awesome."

There are a lot of people who do more realistic work or highly detailed work or who can draw amazing architecture (my nemesis!) or who use color in amazing ways, and I definitely admire them. But the style I work in makes me happy, it's distinctive, and it definitely draws peoples' attention. I'm really good with composition and color, and I paint very very fast. There are things I want to improve on, and I always want to challenge myself to be better, but I'm quite confident in my skill as-is.
:iconangelsdead:
AngelsDead Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think I suck at drawing in generall,
people like my black white work though, so I tend to focus more on that now.
:icont-s-elio:
T-S-Elio Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Writer
Most of the time I think I'm really bad XD; And then I get really down on myself. I think my style is so plain and simple yet others say I'm too hard on myself. I dunno. I feel like I have lots of room for improvement...
:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel like I am above average and sometimes really good. I know I have improved over the years which makes me feel really good, but I have the rest of my life to improve. I am no good at poses, I have no experience there. I need to work on shading and proportion A LOT, although I have definitely improved in those areas over the years as well. I'd like to utilize color better in my drawings. Also, I feel like I'm kind of holding myself back by just doing portraits. Sometimes I feel like my art is stale for that reason.
:iconalzang676:
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
On a scale of 1 to 10, i'm a 2 or 3. I'm still learning, but I hate practicing and I just want to draw. But I won't get better unless I practice.
I have a horrible grasp on anatomy and proportion, sometimes I draw something kinda somewhat decent, but it's terrible in my eyes and I just want to get better quicker =/

I'm doing it wrong though, I shouldn't be using my mouse to draw, but I've been doing it for over a year. I like to upload what I draw most of the time and I could take pictures with my phone, but I can't for some reason draw on paper or at least force myself to. I'd kill to be able to at LEAST put out nice sketches, but my finished work is without color and looks horribly amateurish. I wish I kept drawing and didn't stop for like 5-6 years, I feel like i'm never going to get any better at this rate...

I know these things take time, but I feel like if I dump hours into it I should get much better in less time. I have so much free time and I don't draw and then when I do draw, sometimes a good idea, it looks horrible and I scrap 2 hours of "work".
:iconzerossoul:
Zerossoul Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student Filmographer
I believe that I am roughly at 15/100. 1 being able to doodle and draw stick figures, and 100 being able to sculpt like Michelangelo.
:iconactsofart:
ActsofArt Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I generally feel good about my progress as an artist I know I'm not great but since I don't really know many others who can draw, it's easy to feel good about what I can do. Whereas browsing art on here can sometimes make me feel as if I'm still at a beginner level. But in reality I think I'm just in-between beginner and intermediate, I have basic artistic knowledge, my sketching has drastically improved and I'm a lot better with shapes and forms, and I've always been good with colors. it's only when I experiment with different coloring techniques that that changes.
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
better than the worst but still very very average
:iconmisschibichild:
MissChibiChild Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I feel like I'm in a constant uphill battle with my art. I think my posing is crap, because I can't do complicated poses without a reference. Same with hands. My shading needs work. I'm scared because I want to make a career out of art. Terrified I'm not good enough. Compared to people I know? I think I'm okay. But still a long ways off from being great.
Add a Comment: