Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 225

In all honesty, how good do you think you are?

:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
Before I go any further, I clarify I think we can all agree none of us are where we hope to be. We all wanna improve.

But in all honesty, how do you feel about your skill level? And don't be shy! Be honest and don't worry about seeming insecure or egotistical.

I'll go first. When compared to people I know personally who are artists, I feel like a master artist. No one I know really dedicates as much time as I do. Not saying that as a bad, I just have a lot of free time I guess lol.

BUT when it comes to artists on the internet and just what artists around the world are capable of in general, I feel OK. I'm better then some, but there are many many more that make me feel mediocre. Aside from a few key pieces I have that I feel I did very well (which still have lots of flaws) I feel like I've got eons to go.

How about you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013   Writer
I'd say average but every once in a blue moon I write something that is way above me.
:iconspaceturtlestudios:
SpaceTurtleStudios Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I rate myself as "pretty freakin' awesome."

There are a lot of people who do more realistic work or highly detailed work or who can draw amazing architecture (my nemesis!) or who use color in amazing ways, and I definitely admire them. But the style I work in makes me happy, it's distinctive, and it definitely draws peoples' attention. I'm really good with composition and color, and I paint very very fast. There are things I want to improve on, and I always want to challenge myself to be better, but I'm quite confident in my skill as-is.
:iconangelsdead:
AngelsDead Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think I suck at drawing in generall,
people like my black white work though, so I tend to focus more on that now.
:icont-s-elio:
T-S-Elio Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Writer
Most of the time I think I'm really bad XD; And then I get really down on myself. I think my style is so plain and simple yet others say I'm too hard on myself. I dunno. I feel like I have lots of room for improvement...
:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel like I am above average and sometimes really good. I know I have improved over the years which makes me feel really good, but I have the rest of my life to improve. I am no good at poses, I have no experience there. I need to work on shading and proportion A LOT, although I have definitely improved in those areas over the years as well. I'd like to utilize color better in my drawings. Also, I feel like I'm kind of holding myself back by just doing portraits. Sometimes I feel like my art is stale for that reason.
:iconalzang676:
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
On a scale of 1 to 10, i'm a 2 or 3. I'm still learning, but I hate practicing and I just want to draw. But I won't get better unless I practice.
I have a horrible grasp on anatomy and proportion, sometimes I draw something kinda somewhat decent, but it's terrible in my eyes and I just want to get better quicker =/

I'm doing it wrong though, I shouldn't be using my mouse to draw, but I've been doing it for over a year. I like to upload what I draw most of the time and I could take pictures with my phone, but I can't for some reason draw on paper or at least force myself to. I'd kill to be able to at LEAST put out nice sketches, but my finished work is without color and looks horribly amateurish. I wish I kept drawing and didn't stop for like 5-6 years, I feel like i'm never going to get any better at this rate...

I know these things take time, but I feel like if I dump hours into it I should get much better in less time. I have so much free time and I don't draw and then when I do draw, sometimes a good idea, it looks horrible and I scrap 2 hours of "work".
:iconzerossoul:
Zerossoul Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student Filmographer
I believe that I am roughly at 15/100. 1 being able to doodle and draw stick figures, and 100 being able to sculpt like Michelangelo.
:iconactsofart:
ActsofArt Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I generally feel good about my progress as an artist I know I'm not great but since I don't really know many others who can draw, it's easy to feel good about what I can do. Whereas browsing art on here can sometimes make me feel as if I'm still at a beginner level. But in reality I think I'm just in-between beginner and intermediate, I have basic artistic knowledge, my sketching has drastically improved and I'm a lot better with shapes and forms, and I've always been good with colors. it's only when I experiment with different coloring techniques that that changes.
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
better than the worst but still very very average
:iconmisschibichild:
MissChibiChild Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I feel like I'm in a constant uphill battle with my art. I think my posing is crap, because I can't do complicated poses without a reference. Same with hands. My shading needs work. I'm scared because I want to make a career out of art. Terrified I'm not good enough. Compared to people I know? I think I'm okay. But still a long ways off from being great.
:iconxaralta:
Xaralta Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Turtlesnailapoo

That's what I think of what I make. I'm an unmotivated turtlesnail when it comes to speed, and poo when it comes quality. But I have improved.
:iconmr-bananasham:
Mr-bananasham Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
I wish I were better, though I am getting better at realism, I have only really mastered drawing the head of a person, otherwise i have been practicing drawing scenes from "kingdom come".
:iconjordylakiere:
JordyLakiere Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I take comfort in knowing there is always someone twice as good as me - it means I still have road to travel, a goal to achieve. It would suck if I was the best.
:iconplaguey:
Plaguey Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
My ego tells me im awesome for my age, but I know im a terrible artist compared to the real world.
:iconclockwork-madness:
clockwork-madness Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional General Artist
I feel that compared to where I was two years ago, I have improved so much. It really does kinda amaze me sometimes how much a person can learn when they just really apply themselves. I've gotten to a point where (most of the time) I feel comfortable presenting my work to others and can feel okay about it since I know it's all steadily improving.

However, when I compare myself to professionals in my field (people who will be my competition in a few mere months halp!!!) I see that I have so far to go that it gets a bit discouraging at times. :/
:icondavanart:
davanart Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, I think I have an inflamed ego because for years my classmates have been telling me 'YOU'RE SO AMAZING!' 'YOU HAVE A TALENT, USE IT' and 'BE AN ILLUSTRATOR. PLZ. JUST DO SOMETHING IN THE ART INDUSTRY'. But in all honesty, I would say I'm only good at a few areas in art. I'm pretty good at drawing women- portraits, figure drawing, all that. I like drawing animals as well, and object. I never draw landscapes but if I ever get into that with practise I might get good.

But I'm bad at other areas of art. The other day I was doing ceramics and the woman asked me if it was my first time and I said 'Uh, no, I'm just bad at ceramics >.<'
But yeah. I probably have a giant ego because of all my peers but oh well
:iconmiss-oddball:
miss-oddball Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   Traditional Artist
I grew up as always being the best in my class in art, elementary school through college, and I was always the student that teachers would love to use as an example for good art. But now that I've been dipping my toes in the "real world" of art (gallery showings and whatnot), it's scary, overwhelming, and I feel inadequate. The more I grasp of what my style is, the more confident I feel, but the problem is that I'm still exploring who I really am as an artist. Right now all I see in my work is flaws. It's not a bad thing I guess because it drives me to keep pushing myself, but gah... it's exhausting and frustrating!
:iconcherryblossomgeisha:
CherryBlossomGeisha Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
eh.. I feel like I'm okay.. according to some friends I draw better than the average person. It's a bad habit of mine, but I sometimes look at random people's art and feel terrible because I feel my skill in that medium is not up to par. But I usually use that as a motivation to do better. In the end, whether it looks good to others or not, I'm still proud of what I did and all of the effort that I put into it. And if I'm not satified, I use the picture as a footstool to make it even better in the future.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional General Artist
Mediocre.
:icondariushseif:
DariushSeif Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
I feel like I can be kinda good when I compare with friends, but when I look at professionals, I feel a little put out. I want to draw comics (Spider-Man is my favourite) but I just think I have a loooong way to go to get there and there are so many people who could be better than me
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
I don't think I'm good or bad, but happy about where I currently am in terms of being able to discover what I wanted to accomplish. I would say, yeah there are things I need to work on because I still get frustrated, but the big picture feels more of success on my part based on my goals. Makes sense?

I don't showcase my artwork in public, when people see me they wouldn't think that I draw or even know anything about anime, for instance... I can't compare because I'm not in that showcasing environment anymore.
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
When compared to people I've known in real life I feel like I'm awesome, I draw better than anyone without have studied in a class... But when compared with professional artists I feel like I have a looooong way to go through, here in dA I'm just one in a milion... :(

Also depends on what I'm going to draw, somethings makes me feel like a good artist and others makes me feel like a crapy artist :shrug:
:iconmizaradioaktiv:
MizaRadioaktiv Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm terrible. When I was actually an art student and I practiced everyday, I was starting to improve. Sadly, I lost a lot of skill after not really drawing much for the past 4 years. I lost a lot of inspiration that put me in an artistic slump, but recently I've been sketching and painting again.

I'm probably putting myself down more than I probably should, but it's the way I honestly feel.
:iconfloppyflop:
Floppyflop Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student General Artist
I feel like I am very bad compared to others. Most of the art I draw does not end up on DeviantArt because I feel like no one will appreciate it since it isn't amazing like others. I have been practicing, but I have a very low self esteem and beat myself up mentally saying to myself that I will never improve, but I guess I just have to keep trying.
:iconmalleni-stock:
Malleni-Stock Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It depends who I compare myself to :P
My friends, classmates and family all say that I'm a great photographer, but here on dA I feel like a complete beginner.
:icondinosauriomutante:
dinosauriomutante Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think I'm decent and started to like my own art...I've improved a lot since last year, I just want to keep improving this year e.e...
:iconkingvego:
KingVego Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think im ok. it fluctuates from what style i do. When it comes to paper, ink and black&white artwork i think im almost comicbook good. Not all the way there bit if people like Robert Liefeld can get a job drawing anything then i should be fine. Now when it comes to digital i think i suck the big one. Iv really just started doing digital artwork but it give my massive room to experiment and do things i would never have tryed on paper. But since i have bin doing allot of my art digitally recently i have improved over the past six months or so.
:iconchirohito:
chirohito Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think I am relatively good for my age (just turned 16). I'm above average, but I am not exceeding in my level for artists.
I think I have certain skills others do not have, but like other artists, lack some fundamentals and basic anatomy principals and lighting, etc.
(the list goes on)
i am rather happy though, with the tremendous leap i made over the past two-three years in my drawing techniques :)
It hasn't made such a leap-jump-hop in a while.
;)
:iconcling17:
cling17 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Intermediate =|
I really wish I had the patience to practice fundamentals...
:iconartofrivana:
ArtOfRivana Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Somewhere in the intermediate level, maybe around the lower end but has potential if I could overcome myself.

I feel like I found my 'style' before I even started self-studying drawing and just been improving with it along the way by studying the basics/foundation such as anatomy, color theory, etc (advise that was given to me by a deviant long ago. I wish I remember his/her name) to be able to depict them as I imagine them in my head.

Here's my various attempt at illustrating the same character since 2009 (there are hairstyle changes because the character evolved from stories). Although I may have used references for the poses, the face is something I draw from imagination with whatever grasp I have at the drawing foundations (such as anatomy) at the time. I can see that there's a particular look/style I am going for with this character and as time goes by, I get closer and closer on how I imagine him to be, thanks to learning the basics:

The downside, I can generally draw with only one style (I can do anime here and there but it's my version of anime lol). I can probably draw pure realism if I tried but it's not as fun to me (I am just drawing as a hobby).

I also tend to be lazy more often than I am dedicated lately. I need to study the basics more and deviate from so many portraits and explore sceneries and dynamic poses as well as more interesting perspectives. Due to my laziness, my drawings are often rough looking and NOT in a good/stylistic way. I tend to hide flaws with smudges of lines and it's such a bad habit I can't shake off. Clean lineart is definitely not my style but damn, my brush strokes lack confidence and conviction. It's always so many brush strokes on top of the other that you lose sight of the actual structure of the figure underneath to give it a solid look.

Normally professional artists use their sketches as their framework. For me it's not the case, I tend to change right in the middle. THis is because I am too eager to move to the next step before I am happy with the current one. So, I end up doing too many fixes towards the end.

I lack self-discipline and get bored easily to completely polish a piece: Something I haven't done in awhile =(. I am self-critical and I generally know what I lack but my laziness gets in the way of me really sitting down and improving on it.

I am hoping this rambly post serves as an awakening for me lol.
:iconcheshirelies:
CheshireLies Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I feel like I do okay. I'm nowhere near at the top of the tier in any medium, but I feel like I have a somewhat okay grasp on anatomy, and I'm developing my own style as I work. Writing I think I'm above-average, but then I've put a lot of work and time into it. I'm not great at art, but I'm working to get better, so. Not sure where I would place myself.
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Photographer
Unique talented individual on the crazy side.
:iconyopel5:
Yopel5 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
well... i suck
:iconcapilair:
Capilair Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Being completely honest? okay, whew this is pretty difficult but i actually think im QUITE GOOD AT IT. Im not saying im expectionally good at it but i mean... Id say im pretty far up the food-chain of art, atleast among my age range. Wow okay that was challenging to say, im pretty sure self-praise is a taboo amongst artists
:icongaar-san:
Gaar-San Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think that I am okay, i have some natural talent but i need to learn a little more.
I only do manga right now, i started it a while ago like two months or something like that,
i have drawn before though (traditional stuff not manga) but it was a while since i did and i never used color back then.

I really suck a digital stuff as you can see in my avatar lol but that has to do with the fact that i have to do it with a mouse, so for now i will stick to drawing by hand.
:iconshoumakyou:
shoumakyou Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
If I scale my level from 1-99. I'm probably at level 20.
I'm far from good. I just have a lot of time to draw.
I still can't make a good background and still clueless on how to color my work.
I've seen pro level draw what I draw in a couple of hours but mine takes a day or two.
:iconschnitty:
Schnitty Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist
I would say I'm decent.
I feel like I could be a lot better at my age. I'm 22. But that's my fault for not doing art as often as I should or want, I've only now started to take art a lot more seriously.
:iconkazu-ren:
kazu-ren Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
To be honest I have always felt unsatisfied after a finished drawing. I have no idea why but I really really hate the feeling ): I always feel I can't live up to my expectations.
It's like something is missing but you have no idea what it is. I'm sure others have felt the same way.
:iconzinspiresofresh:
Zinspiresofresh Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Well I would say intermediate but have potential to make nice enough artwork as long as I take my time with it. But yeah compared to some artists I inspire to be like on the internet, I notice I still a couple more years to reach their level lol. But I'm fine with some of my art because I take time in trying to make it good (compared to the past were I rushed).
:iconnonamenonamenonamepl:
Nonamenonamenonamepl Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I really wish I knew, because nobody's critiquing my stuff.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Compared to people I know IRL, I think I'm good. Compared to artists I admire, I should leave this shit and start knitting or something else. :la:
:iconedaofblacklagoon:
edaofblacklagoon Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
to be honest. I am starting to draw now. I have this hidden talent of drawing. my cousin was the one who noticed it and he was an artist. he said, I should give potential in drawing.

so if I have to rate mine. for coloring digital. I remastered, but in tradition. still practicing. I can do cartoons drawing on the spot but I am good on copying or painting something. like when my prof is teaching when I'm still on college, I usually draw her because he was boring and. after that my classmate was amazed. LMAO! so still having to practice shading I guess ;3
:iconambermdigitalpaints:
ambermdigitalpaints Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think I'm good, but not great. Especially when I see all the amazing artists on DA, it kinda puts everything in perspective. ;p

But I love making art, and I love the journey of growth, so one day I hope to be great! Whatever that means...
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd place myself somewhere on the low end of 'intermediate'. I've done a lot of studying and achieved some level of skill in some areas, but I'm still seriously lacking in a lot of other areas. I'd need to seriously get my butt in gear and work on the things I've always avoided in order to consider myself any better.
:iconempfmil:
Empfmil Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think my art is good at all. One can perhaps notice that I've drawn before, but I have a long way to go. I would say though that I am fairly decent at drawing charicatures and cartoonish characters compared to real life people and environments, which I am downright horrible at atm.
:iconmisschibichild:
MissChibiChild Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Digital Artist
My feelings fluctuate. When a piece turns out particularly well,I get extremely proud and want to show it off. However, most of the time I feel sort of like I'm in a rut and am always striving to learn more.
:icontriunfo84:
triunfo84 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013   Traditional Artist
(Disclaimer, the artwork in my gallery is rather stale. Not that I'm ashamed of it, but it doesn't fully represent what I'm currently doing.)

Compared to most of the people I personally know? I've got nothing to feel bad about. This isn't much of a recommendation, though. I was in an art show recently and no kidding, I was one of the "best" there. That's not good! That says something bad about the rest of the artists! There was an older guy who was super good (he's an idol of mine) and some people who painted other things (like abstracts or mostly landscapes) that were pretty good. But there were also many who just weren't, really. Bad color, bad drawing, bad technique. It does make me re-think my low self-esteem! :lol:

When I look at artists online, then I'm in the middle. Not so hopelessly bad that I should give up, but needing much, much more work. (I think my drawing is better than my painting.) There are some artists that are so amazing that I'll never dream of reaching their heights. But there are other artists who are very good, and while I'm not nearly as good as them now, I can dream of possibly being so, someday. That's enough of a goal for me.

I have to balance these two extremes. If I just compared myself to the best artists I see online, I'd wonder why I even bother. But then I see other artists (who are taking themselves seriously and getting into art galleries), and feel almost advanced. HA! :lol: Like that is so delusional! So, somewhere in between these two extremes is probably where I really am.
:icontrupink:
TruPink Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
my feelings go up and down about my art constantly...right now I feel like my art is crap...later on it will be different. I am my worst enemy though my friends tell me I'm awesome its just hard to see it myself. :iconsweatdropplz: I will always keep on improving my art.
:iconamericanacelta:
AmericanaCelta Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
When I compare myself to my friends, I feel pretty good about my art. When I compare myself to my mom or my sister, I feel inadequate. When I compare myself to the masters here on dA I feel like giving up. So instead of comparing myself to other people, I think I will just focus on getting better at what I do. I am my worse critic.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
that's the spirit! don't give and focus on what makes you a better artist.
Add a Comment: