Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Small, cosy community site for fantasy artists!

:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I like deviantART; I've been here for years and I've no intention of leaving any time soon!

However, it can get crowded at times, and I often feel like it's difficult to engage people on a deeper, more personal level, especially when many don't even share basic information like their age or sex. There are many pretty pictures, but often I feel like the *people* behind them are hidden.

I personally really like the idea of a small, close-knit art community, like a private club away from the hustle and bustle of the Big City that is deviantART.
And so I've made one!

It's art focused, but in no way does it seek to replace deviantART in peoples' lives; rather, it merely offers a way for people to showcase their art in a more intimate, smaller setting which is particularly focused on fantasy art, and to meet other people who do the same kind of art.

Getting To Know Eachother and self-discovery are encouraged, through having personality types shown clearly on profiles, and having journal-like Thoughts which are designed to allow people to easily share what's on their minds. Members are people, not just artists.

You can also specify whether you want positive, encouraging feedback, critique, or whether you have no preference, on both artwork and Thoughts. And you can use a 'like' button to show your appreciation for artwork, thoughts and even comments without having to say anything or favourite them!

Oh, and it's designed for people who do 'fantasy art' (dragons, elves, wolves, etc) of a beginner to intermediate sort of level; not absolute beginners, but not professionals either.
Particularly fantasy artists who like talking about themselves at length and hearing others do the same!

The site needs more members, though like with some groups here, you have to apply and get selected first to ensure that the site keeps a quiet, friendly atmosphere, and that everyone who joins is actually a fantasy artist.

It's called Ehaiah, and here's a link: [link]

I'm not sure if promoting websites like this is forbidden or not, but I'm giving it a try anyway because I'm struggling to attract members any other way (despite trying for weeks); it's just not practical to go around searching for individuals to mention this to when I can get the attention of potentially hundreds of people by starting a thread like this!
I'd really love for the site to be a success... I spent a long time on it and charge nothing for it, and I really think it could benefit some people.

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Please read the Forum Posting Guidelines before posting as this does not encourage discussion and should be in your journal. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:iconloganius:
Loganius Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
A few months ago you said that you weren't going to approve any more men to the group because you wanted more women. Is this rule still in effect?
:iconmischievouspooka:
MischievousPooka Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
You seem to be limiting artist by only having it be digital. Some artist like doing both digital and traditional. And those artist may get discourage to join since they will only be allowed to post their digital and not all of their art they like to do with fantasy themes. And there are some artist that have artwork that is mixed with traditional and digital in on piece. Otherwise, it looks like a nice site. Glori305 is correct about the front page wording. You may want to change some of the wording so it sounds less like opinions and more of an art community intro.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Your site's front page has several we don't want "things like photography, writing, artisan crafts, fractals, 'fine art', etc, don't really fit" and "fetish art is not allowed! Fan art is discouraged"

But you are looking for " people who are already into drawing,and somewhat serious about developing their skills, but not necessarily up there with the masters "

Also, you have no examples of the level of art you are looking for. Already on their journey, and not yet a master, are very subjective terms, a quick look at your gallery, and there are going to be a lot of DA's population that looks at our work and gets discouraged that they will never be as good as a master like you.

BTW, you have fanart of Trek in your gallery....are you only going to discourage MLP fanart?

Most people who are just starting out do fanart, and even those who do not do so exclusively, sometimes do a piece from time to time.

I am automaticly excluded from your group, my drawings are only done for practive and to do rough sketches for my sculptures, but you have ruled out sculpture. You have ruled out a huge amount of DA by saying no fanart. And many of the non-fanart fantasy artists are of the kind of quality where they are selling their work, which makes them sound excluded as well. Which rule out someone starting with drawing/painting/digital and moving in to another medium. They decide to branch out into sculpture, their art is no longer welcome.

In short, you are looking for a very specific type of person. Considering that most of DA does not hit the forums, you are probably better off searching something like "dragon" or "wizard" finding artists in the appropriate levels and inviting them.

Might want to make the front page more inclusive, saying that "Orginal art and concepts are highly encouraged" is more inviting that "Fan art is discouraged" and calling anyone's art creepy, even if you feel that way about fetish art, is going to limit your audience. There might be someone that does both fantasy and bondage art, who's fantasy art fits in your groups theme, but you have just labeled them a creep. And while we are on the subject, saying shyness is acepted but fetish is creepy is going to turn quite a few people away. Judgementalism scares off shy people, that is usually why they are shy to begin with.
:icontehangelscry:
TehAngelsCry Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I feel one of the downsides of your site is the interactiveness, specifically the drop-down menu for categories. Perhaps have it as a more immediate static navigation (like on deviantART for example).
:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I can't imagine that category menu ever actually being used, as the site's not likely to get big enough to need it; instead, you can see essentially everything important that's going on on the site by clicking the 'Community' thing, which shows all recent art, thoughts, comments, etc. I've designed sites before with a similar format, and it seems that most people don't use any other page than the Community one, once they've got used to it.
:icontehangelscry:
TehAngelsCry Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
You should always build sites for expansion, just so they don't need a complete redesign when the time comes. Don't doom yourself to remain small already.
Add a Comment: