Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Becoming an Animator

:icongloomypandabear:
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I want to become an animator or at least a graphic novelist(or both). So I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how I can achieve this goal. I've always wanted to do some kind of animation or graphic novel since I was young. At first it was stop motion animation(Tim Burton was the inspiration) but now it's a little of both stop motion and just, I guess, "normal" animation. I've been practicing a lot with Anime Studio Debut 8 and I've made one animation I'm very proud of(never posted because of lack of sound) I know what I want to do, I just need some help getting to where I want to go and not end up as a starving artist. This is a silly post but I'm genuinely stuck on what the next step is. So far what I know is that I gotta keep up with the latest programs of animation.(or something like that), and that it's a hell of a lot of work.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
go to a college that focuses on animation....,learn from professionals, make a demo/portfolio, get your degree, find a job. the school environment can be really motivating then learning on your own. youll learn 2d and 3d animation among other things related to that field. Things are going more towards 3d animation. a lot of 2d is out sourced to other countries. if you really want to learn it id go to college

animators do tons and tons of drawings so get ready to do thousands of drawings.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for colleges that focus more on animation, my school sent us to a website that suggests colleges but they don't really go in depth about the college's programs.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
beyond what other people have said "just do it"

if you want to make comics, make one right now. Take a pencil and piece of paper and draw a story an idea. It might be crap, but then make another one, a better one, and another one. Same with animation there are some free programs you can mess with, you can do it old fashioned style with photographs or scans of your drawings, or do a claymation. Supplement your doing with study,  but don't just study, study and do at the same time.
GloomyPandaBear Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been starting on a comic after doing some meaningless crappy once(except they were back in 6th grade) and I've also been messing around with animation a bit. The biggest problem I have is adding voice because I can't get anyone to voice act. They are people who are willing to help, but I can't take my laptop to them. Anyways thank you for the comment and help :)
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
do it yourself, or do voiceless animation, things with just music. There's a lot of short animation out there without words, they're not always necessary :D Perhaps find some people online who are interested in becoming actors or voice actors who you could collaborate and be friends with? As someone else said, Animation is rarely a solo occupation, so being able to source a team might be good practice, and it shows you are willing to go above and beyond for your work.

If you maintain a youtube or a vimeo with your animations you might even gain a following and fanbase if you make interesting work, and fans are often willing to help. The internet is a tool ripe for use!
Thanks! I'll work on more animations that I can voice myself or just need music :) I have had a few ideas for animations like that. Again, thanks :hug:
:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
Like people have said here before, Get a hold of the Animator's survival kit by Richard Williams and live inside it.

Also, quit thinking about how you're gonna do and just go out there and do it! Get flash, hell, just get some paper and a camera and make something, it's the only way you'll get better.

I've got similar dreams to you :)
thamks :)
:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
No problem. With hardwork, dedication and a bit of luck, I'm sure we'll both get there one day :)
thank you :) Good luck! :huggle:
Add a Comment: