Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Discouragement

:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Have you ever given up on your art for a brief period because you felt you would never get better? What kept you going and helped you get past that?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
So. Many. Times. What got me through it: I stopped comparing myself, stop setting absurd expectations, and I remembered when I was a kid, I wasn't aiming to be perfect. When I drew as a kid in elementary school, I was just excited to get a box of crayons and try out all of the colors. I was excited to see where the hell I'd end up finishing on the paper, and how much of the space I could fill. I was ecstatic my mother didn't scream at me for drawing on the walls :lol: (seriously, I drew all over the walls and she would just tell my dad "she was having fun, so I let her do it" :XD:). That little bit of childhood bliss is something I try to keep traces of it. While I'm more mindful of trying to make a good piece, at the same time, what makes it a good piece is enjoying the creative process as well.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I 100% agree, I loved to draw as a child myself. I need to remind myself more often to just take my time and enjoy.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yes, all the time.

I don't know how I get through it, I just get miserable and cry lots and complain to my friend :p He's a bit of a mentor when it comes to helping me get through it tbh.
That's good you have someone helping you through it.
:iconkafae-latte:
Kafae-Latte Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I have. Just looking or interacting with certain things will help your art around, though. I played the Sims 2 for a long time, and messed intricately with the faces, and body sliders and came out with a better understanding of anatomy! Same with looking at the structures of ball jointed dolls.
Observing surroundings definitely helps.
:iconsagestrike2:
SageStrike2 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All artists go through periods where they are unhappy with their art. I go through it about once a week :3 I always try to keep the mindset that as long as I dont quit ill learn everything I want to know. No one just picks up a pen or a brush and are instantly world class artists, it takes time and patience. Even the greatest artists in the world were unhappy with their work at one point, and who knows? Maybe you're at that point ; )
I like to tell myself that, that even the artists I aspire to be like were at the same place I was at one point. It makes me feel better and keeps me going.
:iconcat-of-shadows:
Cat-of-shadows Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I feel too tempted to give up on art, a lot, especially since that my skills aren't marketable enough, and when I see younger artists that are much better than me. I deleted my other account because I posted stuff that never got commented on or saw too little page reviews.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've actually thought about deleting my current account for that reason, but I don't want to be a quitter and regret it.
Add a Comment: