Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Discouragement

:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Have you ever given up on your art for a brief period because you felt you would never get better? What kept you going and helped you get past that?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
So. Many. Times. What got me through it: I stopped comparing myself, stop setting absurd expectations, and I remembered when I was a kid, I wasn't aiming to be perfect. When I drew as a kid in elementary school, I was just excited to get a box of crayons and try out all of the colors. I was excited to see where the hell I'd end up finishing on the paper, and how much of the space I could fill. I was ecstatic my mother didn't scream at me for drawing on the walls :lol: (seriously, I drew all over the walls and she would just tell my dad "she was having fun, so I let her do it" :XD:). That little bit of childhood bliss is something I try to keep traces of it. While I'm more mindful of trying to make a good piece, at the same time, what makes it a good piece is enjoying the creative process as well.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I 100% agree, I loved to draw as a child myself. I need to remind myself more often to just take my time and enjoy.
:icondinysrawr:
dinysrawr Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yes, all the time.

I don't know how I get through it, I just get miserable and cry lots and complain to my friend :p He's a bit of a mentor when it comes to helping me get through it tbh.
That's good you have someone helping you through it.
:iconkafae-latte:
Kafae-Latte Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I have. Just looking or interacting with certain things will help your art around, though. I played the Sims 2 for a long time, and messed intricately with the faces, and body sliders and came out with a better understanding of anatomy! Same with looking at the structures of ball jointed dolls.
Observing surroundings definitely helps.
:iconsagestrike2:
SageStrike2 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All artists go through periods where they are unhappy with their art. I go through it about once a week :3 I always try to keep the mindset that as long as I dont quit ill learn everything I want to know. No one just picks up a pen or a brush and are instantly world class artists, it takes time and patience. Even the greatest artists in the world were unhappy with their work at one point, and who knows? Maybe you're at that point ; )
I like to tell myself that, that even the artists I aspire to be like were at the same place I was at one point. It makes me feel better and keeps me going.
:iconcat-of-shadows:
Cat-of-shadows Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I feel too tempted to give up on art, a lot, especially since that my skills aren't marketable enough, and when I see younger artists that are much better than me. I deleted my other account because I posted stuff that never got commented on or saw too little page reviews.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've actually thought about deleting my current account for that reason, but I don't want to be a quitter and regret it.
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I gave up drawing for a long time and only started back up again about four (or three? ...five? I don't remember exactly how long...) years ago.

My life of drawing sort of went like this. When I was a kid, I drew a lot of random stuff, animals, cartoons, weird random stuff I thought up, and didn't really care that much about how good it was or what anyone thought of it. Then when I was about eleven I got really into Sonic and started drawing characters and fancharacters from that. And a while after that I started getting into anime and manga and wanting to draw those types of characters, which was the point where I really started caring what my drawings looked like. I think I took it the wrong way though. Instead of using my desire to get better as motivation, I just let it discourage me until a mix of built up frustration feeling that I'd never get better and a bad event in my personal life made me quit entirely.

A couple years later I ended up looking through some of my old sketchbooks and realized how much I missed drawing. But that time when I started up again I decided that I was going to practice more and really seriously try to get better. I think that finally getting to where I could draw pictures I was (at least somewhat) proud of is what kept me going. I mean, I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but I'm not about to give up again.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My story is pretty much the same. I've never stopped for years at a time, but months yes. I feel like when I younger I would draw just to draw and not worry about how good I was. Then I became so focused on being good that anything less than my expectations made me discouraged. I really want to focus on taking it seriously now and draw more frequently.
:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
I have the same down days/weeks that everyone has where I get really discouraged about my stuff, but it's yet to get to the point where I give it up entirely. I'm pretty determined to never let anything get me too down as I plan on making a career out of it! :D
It's that you have that drive. :) Keep thinking that way.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
I'm not gonna give up so easily! Thanks, I will :)
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:)
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Filmographer
:D
:iconinrydanmaku:
InryDanmaku Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I did, but not that I tought that I would never be better. Sometimes you just can't pull it off. In that case you just don't have you day, or week, or month :( In any case it's more like an artist block. You know you are able to do it but you just won't succeed in doing so
Artist's block is a major annoyance. I wish it never happened, but it helps me grow as an artist I think.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I not gave up art entirely, but I did give up drawing for a few years.
It was a combination of events. A short time before, two of my best friends stopped drawing. Since we were always in art together, I felt damn lonely doing it alone all of a sudden. Also, because I was frustrated that I couldn't get any better at that time.

I didn't stop art altogether at that time. In fact, I did a whole lot of writing fiction back then. But it just felt like I'd outgrown drawing back then.
I came back to drawing when I had to graduate from university and was under great stress. I somehow remembered how drawing used to be a great stress relieve for me, and started drawing again from there on :)
I had other friends who liked to draw too, but one of them is going to school for it now so I think she kind of gets burnt out on it sometimes. Drawing is a great way to escape from everyday problems.
:iconpippitha:
Pippitha Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I gave up drawing a few years ago, because I just didn't have the time for it. I almost gave up crochet, because family kept saying my dolls were ugly. lol
But I like them, so I guess that's all that matters.
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Your opinion is the only one that matters. Don't listen to them.
:iconmiraveldi:
Miraveldi Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Nope.

It's kind of odd now that I think about it. Ever since I started drawing, I never once considered leading a life where I didn't draw. Giving up never seemed like an option to me, and it still doesn't. I have my periods when I don't feel like drawing, I'm too frustrated with my art to be able to work on it, or I'm feeling so insecure about my current skill level that I freeze up, but it's always been a temporary thing for me. I always know I'm going to return to it eventually.

So, have I ever gotten discouraged? Of course. Have I ever thought about giving up? Not at all.
I feel the same. I have never completely given up. Like you, I know I will always come back to it.
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yes, I eventually get it every 3-4 weeks or so and it lasts for a few days. I should get used to it by now, but it keeps scaring me every time. No idea why it happens really, but happens a lot and I usually just 'snap back' at some point- sometimes I find inspirational music, sometimes I'm just bored and start drawing around, not thinking about whether I'm good or not.
I have periods where I feel like I don't have any inspiration. Music and photos or nature usually helps.
:iconmunuci:
Munuci Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
Have been on and off for a while, I'm not really getting anywhere currently and it's frustrating. Neither do I feel much motivation to attempt to get anywhere since I'm also stressed out because of school things.
s'all a de-motivational mess :heart:
I hope you find the motivation soon. :)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Not really. It's the thing I do when I'm bored. As long as it continues to entertain me I'll keep doing it. My brief periods of discouragement generally end with me being stuck someplace boring with a piece of paper and a pen.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Listen to inspiring music. Whatever inspires you to do something beautiful. Sometimes even dramatic movie soundtracks inspire me lol. Or playing a deeply engrossing videogame. We artists cant be passive, sometimes we need to seek inspiration when it doesnt come to us.
Music definitely helps.
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I quit sometime in high school cos I fealt that I wasn't anything that special anyway. I kept missing drawing all that time though and I drew something here and there with months apart the pieces that I made. Then after my grandpa died on May I got really sad and inactive and sank myself into computer games. Eventually I started thinking "What the hell is the point in this?!" and fealt like I need a new hobby to leave a mark at least somewhere. So I picked up drawing again :)

Listening to music is a good way to get inspiration. And when I'm tired or just not feeling it, I just practice something precice like last night: expressions and canine legs. Some other day I might practice backgrounds. And so on.
I'm glad you started up drawing again. I lost a friend and my grandma recently and I feel like they would want me to keep drawing and striving to be better.
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm sorry for your loss :(

My grandpa talked a lot about life and death to me before he died. It really made me think about the kind of person I want to be and what is important in life. I might never become as good as a lot of people here but I can show my drawings to my family and make them happy. Especially my mum. It's a shame I didn't draw when my grandparents were still around. I would've loved to make them a painting or two and see them smile.
It's good that you got to talk with your grandpa about those things. I wish I would have visited my grandma before she passed, but I can't beat myself up about it. I totally agree. I may not be as wonderful as the artists I look up to, but I know that I have a lot to learn and I can be as good as them one day if I keep trying. My family likes my art too, but sometimes I wonder if they are just trying to make me feel good. I'm overly critical of it sometimes.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah, many times. What helped me get past that? The fact that I love drawing and painting too much to give it up. So when my fingers itch and I want to draw something, I go and draw. And then I wonder why I ever stopped :)
The secret is not to allow yourself to stop. Draw or doodle every day, or at least a few times a week... until it becomes a habit you couldn't get rid of even if you tried.
I love drawing, but I sometimes wonder if I love it enough to do it everyday.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
Well the choice boils down to what makes you happy.

If you really, really want to get better, but aren't willing to put in the hard work this goal would require, then obviously this isn't going to work - in order to become a successful artist, you need a strong work ethic.

But if you come back to drawing every now and then and really enjoy it without the need to become a great artist, then draw when you feel like it, and don't be bothered by "getting better" - just enjoy what you do :) no pressure.
That is true, I need to work on motivating myself.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Yep.

Found I could not give it up, was drawing on the edges of every piece of paper I came in contact with.
Even if I don't do a large drawing for months, I like to doodle.
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Oh yes, in fact, right now I'm on a one week stroll. Been there before, I just wait until I get excited about it again. Meanwhile I read art books and forums for the hell of it.
I like to look at tutorials to get inspired. Sometimes I have to force myself. :/
Add a Comment: