Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Too Much?

:iconpeachgrim:
PeachGrim Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Can you draw so much that you hurt you're arm shoulder and neck? If so how would you ease that pain and would you take a break... The only reason why I ask this is cause I have started hurting a lot after my last drawing and I was wondering if it's cause I drew too much..

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have a bit hunched posture and overextending joints. I was at a massage therapist before Christmas and she actually told me that there are a couple of spots where my spine has "straightened up". Whatever the hell that means. Due to our small apartment, I've been hunching to the corner of the sofa to draw. I can only imagine what this will do to my posture if I keep doing it for longer. So I'm planning to buy a small writing desk for our living room. And maybe consider a small drafting table in the future to lift the paper up.

Don't underestimate the importance of your posture. When you start getting older, it really starts to bring in the pain if you just hunch all the time. I can't straighten up my shoulders completely no matter how much I try. Headaches are no stranger to me either. This was mainly caused by 21 years of computer gaming but I imagine it being the same with drawing. Maybe even worse if you stay hunched all the time.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes. I take breaks, and it make me less productive.
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have suffered a nasty RSI in my lower back and a sore neck from spending many long hours hunched over my tablet/sketchpad.
Guess the best thing to do to avoid these things is to take regular breaks and sit in a better position, preferably in a comfortable chair with back support, not on the floor like I do.
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Get a drafting table so you aren't bending over your desk quite as much. Or get a board to draw on and prop it up with books and such. This helps me a lot.

Take breaks as well, as the others have said.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
^ I second that emotion.
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Possibly. Next time you're drawing stop and consider your posture, and try to correct it.
I know that when I draw/paint my posture is awful. My back is tense and hunched over, and my neck is twisted. It's a hard habit to break especially when you're all zoned out doing art.
PeachGrim Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm usually bent over my desk and what not I guess I shouldn't do that anymore T^T
:iconjerseycajun:
jerseycajun Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Make sure your workspace is clear and you're not cramped for space in any way while drawing. Make adjustments to your easel/desk etc so that you minimize bending or reaching, and always be mindful of your posture.

Also it always helps to get up, exercise and stretch every four hours at the minimum.
PeachGrim Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ah thank I noticed that I really need a new desk chair cause mine does not adjust and what not and it's really just there. I bet if I had one that adjusted it would help a lot
Add a Comment: