Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Improving portrait drawings

:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I want to focus on improving the portraits I draw, I think I am able to capture a good likeness, but sometimes I feel like my portraits aren't interesting enough. How can you make a portrait something special? If that makes any sense.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It helps to have some insight into the person you're doing a portrait of. The most interesting portraits are personal and reveal an aspect of the subject's personality. You might want to start getting into the creative process from the start -- taking your own reference photos and using people you know. If you're just sorta copying what another photographer did, a lot of the creative decisions have been made for you.

At the beginning your portraits will probably seem worse because you have to train yourself in a new skill but it will pay off eventually.
Very good advice, I will do just that. Thank you. :)
:iconhappyhyperharo:
HappyHyperHaro Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Hello : ) I'm no expert on drawing portraits, but what I've experienced a lot of the face can be made unique just from differing the nose. What I like to do is honestly look at several different people before I come up with a facial structure. I usually draw characters that I've made up and recently I've been working on taking my bf's basic character sketches and turning them into a portrait that's more realistic. I know a basic rule of thumb is never draw a portrait facing forward and the angle that the face is turned at can drastically change the emotion and contrast in the piece. What I've started doing is specially look at each major part of the face. I break it down to cheeks, lips, eyes, brow line and chin. I think by either exaggerated one of these features or even drawing attention to anyone of them by shading can really make a face pop. I still have a lot to go though, you're much better at eyes than I am, recently I've learned that I've been drawing chins really large. Well I hope this helps, if you have any feedback for me let me know, I always appreciate feedback on my portraits, they're something I really enjoy drawing, mine are still missing something though.
Good tips.:) I try to strive for realism, but sometimes I like to alter the face a bit to make it my own. Portraits can be really hard sometimes. I'm going to keep practicing though.
:iconhappyhyperharo:
HappyHyperHaro Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Good luck, even with realism sometimes the slightest distortion can make it believable and unique :D keep up the work
Thanks. :)
Add a Comment: