Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Art Question On Style.

:iconvioletwinds:
violetwinds Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I've been pondering over what style I should stick to, or if the style I choose to draw in should even matter. I notice I feel the most comfortable with drawing a cross between comic style/anime but with realistic proportions. What do you guys think about style? And why when given critique do people go "I don't want to change it's my style!!"

I've seen that pretty much everywhere. It mind-boggles me. Another thing is when people fuss over which tools to use.

I think the only thing that matters is skill level, your compassion, effort and patience to draw. If you can't stand for more than 30 seconds of your artwork, on coloring, inking, OR sketching process (some people I've seen like to say "I hate coloring lol" ) then why bother with it? AND one more thing before I end this is when people tell you not to use certain tools cus "they are evil". I believe that if you know what you are doing with it it should be okay to use it.

This whole thing has had me wondering this: Style, tools. Do they really matter? And does anyone have any tips on using coloring pencils or markers? Know any good tutorials? I'm tired of running into tutorials by people that drawings look like they don't know what they're doing.

It's been a question in my head for days..months even, because I've seen people use tools that certain artist tell you they're the tools of the devil, and they make great art with them? :confused:

Sorry if this sounds like a rant I am kinda irritated. It's supposed to be more of a question. :icontealdeerplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconladyfern:
ladyfern Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Style is really how you interpret what you see. Georgia O'Keeffe portrayed her flowers in big, bold ways with sweeping petals and airy backgrounds. Monet painted detailed landscapes flooded with light with daubs and swirls of color. By looking at a painting, you can tell who painted it. THAT is style. It will change and strengthen as your artistic self grows but it's still how you will naturally portray the world around you.

I like to draw things in a realistic manner, I absolutely LOVE getting into the little details and everything. I had a watercolor teacher who thought I was too tense and needed to loosen up. I tried to paint her way. I wanted to pull my hair out. I felt like I was scraping my fingernails on a chalkboard. It just felt terrible! I couldn't see things the way she wanted me to see them.

I've had people tell me that my style is no different than what you'd find in a craft store on a generic poster or at a flea market for ten bucks (but the person who told me that looked like every other computer game artist I've seen so I didn't let him get to me too much). Then other times, I've had people stop and their jaws drop at the level of detail I get. There's always critics, always someone to tell you to do something different.

I do think that trying different methods and techniques will broaden your range of abilities but if you don't feel comfortable working in a certain way, don't do it. There are SO many things in life that you won't enjoy doing but you'll HAVE to do them whether you like it or not. Art should not be one of those things. We're artists. We're supposed to think outside the box, create a 3-dimensional object on a 2-dimensional plane. There are no rules to art. Do what makes great art.
violetwinds Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Exactly. And I don't always draw in one thing all the time. I just choose anime right now cus I would like to learn that style. I every now and then draw realism, and sometimes post it, but I also have times when I want to draw comic/anime style too. I switch whenever I'm in the mood to. I don't really care so much about the style I choose to draw in, be it realism or anime, I just care about learning.
:iconfreyv:
freyv Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I noticed that my "style" changes as I learn new things, it's not something I try to focus on. I try to study anatomy, perspective, colors etc., and my style kind of flows with the knowledge. I feel "real style" is what happens when you don't pay attention to making it, you just let it grow with you.
I don't focus much on style either, even if I draw eyes in an anime/cartoony style, it's because I "choose" to do so. I can also draw eyes smaller/realistically, but it depends on what mood I'm in really. All I really want to do is study anatomy and realism, to me style doesn't matter as long as you learn your proportions and anatomy. Everything else, in my mind, comes later.
:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Look for heros! People that create art that is really attractive to you and try to emulate it. You'll see how eventually you start to develop your own style. Don't try to force it because figuring out your style of art does not work that way. Also, try to make sure that the left side of your brain is sleeping when you are creating art. Don't let it interrupt you during your creative process. Keep the eraser far away from you when you are sketching because mistakes are beautiful.

Hope this helped.
violetwinds Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Didn't think of doing that. What I try to do with the art I draw is make sure everything is correctly proportioned even if I draw anime eyes, I don't draw them overly large. I just can't bring myself to do that no matter how hard I try to. I will however, look around for sources of inspiration. The eraser thing is gonna be a little tempting/hard for me cus I always hold my "eraser pen" in my right hand while I'm sketching, I'm still somewhat new to art, and I'm constantly erasing to the point of tearing the hole in the paper cus I'm a perfectionist at hart. :lol:

Those are some great tips though, I will keep them in mind.
Heart*
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Depends on your goals.

Drawing for your own enjoyment, do whatever you want.

Becoming a professional, master as many techniques and styles as you can. And have a good grasp on realism.

And yes, there will always be someone who says you should not do ___________ your choice to listen to them or not.
violetwinds Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
My goals at the moment... art as a side job/freelancer? It's not my main career choice, it's actually child counseling or teens, because I love to help people and anything doctor related seems to be my field of enjoyment. To include anything related to science in general.

However, I do intend to get better at art so that if I ever fall into trouble I can get a little extra money on the side. I doubt anyone would buy if your art looks like shit.

Yes, you are correct. People are people, people have preference and there will always be ones that fuss at not using certain tools, though agreeing with one of the commenter on here that perhaps they say these things due to the fact of not sure how to use them or simply just don't like them. That doesn't mean it's evil. I've seen great works of art with the exact same tools people say to avoid like the plague. :lol:

If anyone out here reading this post likes to feel free to take a look in my gallery, I could use the extra tips.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
A quick peek at your gallery, and the first thing that I see is you need to use refrences. Even if you are drawing Ironman, find a pose that works and refrence it, your movement of your figures is unrealistic, and you have some anatomy issues.

If you are serious about having art as a semi-profesion, I would suggest spending at least some time working on realism, and I would start with the basics, geometric shapes and still lifes with good strong lighting. This will improve your anime style as well.

Your gallery looks like you love anime, so you jumped in to drawing anime style people. That is like trying to learn to roller skate without learning to walk first, while it can be done, it is harder.

People, and drawing from your imagination are advanced skills.
Add a Comment: