Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

How to make a stamp...

:icontahki:
Tahki Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
...that is not a potatoe. You know if you've seen those chinese paintings with red marks at the bottom (I think they call it seals too.) I'm trying to do something like that. So far I've tried with erasers (deep nicking, print came out splotchy...not to mention getting cuts along the way) > < Wood block carving (Buying a specific set of tools for a short term project's wasteful)

and designing the pic/ signature (esp when you've a long name or trying to cramp the pic into a tiny space. Any pointers on what ways to go abt making as well as deign wise expertise?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
try to use something like this for stamps, [link] or [link] and youll have to use wooden carving tools something like this [link]

we made stamps in highschool like this.
Tahki Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks! I'd look it up at the local art store. =)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
You should be able to use pretty much anything you can carve.
Tahki Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
hmmm....ok...thanks for your suggestion! :)
:iconglittercandy:
Glittercandy Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
If you need a quick-and-dirty stamp, get a sheet of craft foam (it's usually thin and comes in tons of colors). Cut out the pieces you need (or as one large piece) and glue onto a hard surface, like a wooden block. Fast and cheap! :) (not good for small details though)

BTW don't dip your stamp directly into the paint, because that will get into crevasses and make the resulting stamped image look messy. Getting a stamp pad would be best, and doesn't cost much. If you're desperate though... get a sponge, dip it in your paint, wipe the excess on a sheet of wax paper, then lightly tap the stamp against the painted side of the sponge. It's messy, but it all depends on how desperate you are.

But like shininginthedarkness said, linoleum blocks are commonly used for stamping. Those do need special tools and it can get a bit pricey. If you need a stamp that will last, this is your better option. And yeah, you usually use a breyer to apply printing ink onto the linoleum block.

If you just need a name, maybe check out local printing places to see if they do custom stamps. For example, in the US places like Office Depot have a print/copy center that can make custom signature stamps for as low as less than $20.
Tahki Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks! I'd be keeping an eye out for the local printing services if they've such services. Most I've come across seems šustome'made'for printing bussiness addresses, no pictorgrams stuff. Still its an alt :)
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
have you got the right printing ink? because no matter how good your stamping surface if you're printing ink/paint is the wrong thing it'll never print.
I'm using those meant for rubber stamps...may try out ink pads for less splotch.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
You can make stamps out of linoleum and it's not too hard to carve. We did it in school. I'm not sure the best place to buy it though, might want to try a home supply store.
read abt it...i think some of the stamps came in linoleum... (if theres a transparent ver.) no blanks.

Thanks for suggesting it. Do you need specific tools to cut it?
Add a Comment: