Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

Do your parents know you have a DeviantArt account?

:iconknoire:
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Artist
Mine sure as hell don't. xD They hardly care for art and DEFINITELY wouldn't want me posting it online. I made my first deviantart account almost three years ago, and so far haven't been caught XD

Do your parents or family know about you posting art/writing/ect online, DeviantArt or elsewhere?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartinmall:
artinmall Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Nope... Only my girlfriend knows I draw and even she isn't allowed to see my drawings. I buy art stuff in secret and hide all my drawings. I don't wan't anyone to know :/ The thing is my family is full of artists and my sister is a designer and draws like a freaking god.... I don't want to dissapoint anyone with my drawings. That's all... :|
:iconhyorina:
Hyorina Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
My parents know, and they actually want me to publise and sell x'D & theyre proud..
But they sure don't know much what deviantArt is, just an Art site x'D
:iconlobotis-lipsum:
Lobotis-lipsum Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
yes
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm 27 so it's really not my parents business what I do. But my mum knows and I like to show some works to her since it's easier online when everything is organized together. I also live 230km away from her so she can look at my art even when we're apart. I bookmarked my profile for her :)

My dad and especially his artistic fiance would probably like to see my art as well but they don't even have a computer.

I don't see the bad thing in posting art online. However there's also this forum which has...all kinds of stuff in it so I can sort of understand why some parents might feel iffy about this place. But my personal opinion is: better here than in some greacy dating site filled with people who are waaaaaay to young for that stuff.
:iconposeidonsimons-s:
poseidonsimons-s Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
my parents almost dont know what an internet is
:icongrasschamp:
Grasschamp Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They do not, but they support my drawing for reasons I do not understand.
:iconchopper481:
chopper481 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
My parents have known for years, and they're fine with it. :P I'm lucky to have supportive parents. They love to see me draw and knowing that I'm doing what makes me happiest.
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, my parents know I have an account here. I like to moan about my silly problems about the site and some of its users to them even though they don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
They know I have art online and may of mentioned Deviant art, but they haven't care too much other then get a job for it.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My parents neither know about DeviantArt, and if they did they probably wouldn't give a crap about it, neither of them are much into art. However I post my work on lots of sites, including my personal website which they do know about.
I'm confused as to why you're worried about getting 'caught' posting your art here. Last I heard making art wasn't something to be ashamed about.
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Artist
to them it's more of conversing with strangers, I receive comments on my art and answer them accordingly. I'm not giving my address out to everybody xD They're pretty uptight. Asians... (no srsly. My mom's Mongolian xD)
:icon2dspaceprincess:
2DSpacePrincess Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
It's no secret in my house. They only worry about theft and shtuff :P They think it's not a bad idea as long as none of my college work from Parsons gets plagiarized.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Not sure.
I never made a secret out of posting my art on the internet, but they probably don't care enough to remember the name of the site.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, but it's not their business.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
I'm 23 so thankfully I don't have to worry about that kinda crap anymore lol.
:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, a lot of my family has known I've had an account for a while because I had no other way of showing people my work. It was really bad though because I had family members call me out on shit that I would say in my journals and such, and I cut down a great deal of my activity because of it. Now that I'm an adult I feel less restricted and nobody has really checked out my account in a while, and if they want to see my work I'll show them my Behance or Carbonmade or something.
:iconcapilair:
Capilair Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My mom knows i have one, she doesnt know my username tho... AND I'LL NEVER REVEAL IT
:iconchibi-chocolate123:
chibi-chocolate123 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
nope, haha. i think they'd probably flip if they look through my favourites/gallery.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Mine have known since I started. xD I'm 20 now and it doesn't matter what they think, but at first we had a little sit-down and they informed me under no uncertain terms that the internet is a horribly evil place and that I wasn't allowed to talk about personal things on my account or so help them... blah blah blah.

But at least they talked about it. It's better than some people I know whose parents just said 'no, the internet is a horrible place, you don't get any accounts / post anything on there'.
:iconembercoral:
embercoral Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My mom doesn't seem to notice...or care...

She just thinks I'm either playing games or on Youtube all the time, which is only partially true. I sometimes have videos on to listen to in the background when I'm working.

My dad, on the other hand, knows that I have it, and I've shown him a lot of my drawings. I've even shown him a few RoChu pics, and he seems perfectly fine with them...Then again, it might just be because he thinks China is a girl. :iconteheplz:
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Artist
Qjaoabcapsbapfishcb THAT IS EXACTLY MY EXCUSE FOR ROCHU TOO. Maybe I subconciously love ROCHU because if my parents see they'll think china's a girl... XD
:iconembercoral:
embercoral Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Considering that I'm indifferent about most other yaoi pairings (and pairings in general), that might be one of the reasons I lean towards RoChu or ChuRo more than the rest. It just looks agreeable in my messed up mind...even when China is in manry mode.

:iconsemechinarapefaceplz:
:iconjakkrobbit:
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
My mom knows I'm online all the time, and that I go to art sites, but I don't think she knows I have a DA account specifically. There were a few times when I was younger where I got flamed or some harsh critique (back when I didn't know how to handle harsh feedback) on different art sites and I'd talked to her about it, but I doubt she knows about DA.
:icondewdropmon:
Dewdropmon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
My mom knows and sometimes I show her stuff on here but I'm always careful not to let her see my username. If she knew what it was she probably come and look on her own time and she'd have a cow if she knew I supported gay pairings and drew and wrote about gay relationships and (even "worse") gay sex.

My dad probably has no idea what deviantart is.
:iconfreyv:
freyv Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I really don't see why my parents would care that I post my artwork online. I don't know if they know I do or not, but they surely wouldn't care.
:iconhallowpointpaws:
HallowpointPaws Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes. I wish my mom would make one but she claims to be too busy or that she wouldn't know how to set one up.
:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I do show my parents my work and they know I have dA account. Whenever I talk to my mother about my dA account and the artwork I upload she'd ask me to show her :D. She just loves watching my stuff
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
They know. They think I'm wasting time.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
lol yeah. But I'm a grown up. Back in the day...I don't think there were sites you could easily post your art on when I was living with them. This was, what, almost 15 years ago now...

People I know should know I have it. I post stuff to my facebook once in a while and if I want to show friends my art I usually open it here. I don't think most of them check it regularly, my mom asked me for the url again the other day, but I don't exactly try to hide.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes, they've always known. Infact my parents used to tell people to go to it until the "artistic nude" categories turned more into posting unrealistically women in situations that are in no way artistic.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This post must also be for the younger population as I'm an Adult, lol
:iconacjub:
acjub Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They've always known :shrug:
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   General Artist
Of course they do.

My dad has a deviantart account somewhere although I don't think he uses it.
:iconvellevette:
VelleVette Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm not sure if I told my parents I had a dA, and I don't think they'd object if I did. After all, they wholeheartedly supported me in my decision to go to an art college. The same one my mom went to, incidentally. Have I mentioned she's Asian as well?
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Traditional Artist
Im a grown up so no they dont know. Art is mine alone and i dont feel the need to let them know.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My mother knows because I go on it often. :nod:
:iconenih:
Enih Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist
She puts the stuff i do up on the stupid Fecesbook. And pepole mix me up with my sister. Yay! How someone can not see that i soley do coloured stuff, and shes a graphite artist i dont know.

And She is my mother, my father knows too. He even asked if I wanted him to make a website for me. Im not that good yet.
:icongabrielevans:
GabrielEvans Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Hey, that's a real shame your parents don't support ya :(
When I was starting out my folks went out of their way to support and encourage me!
Tell'em enjoyment in art helps build creativity that is important in any type of situation unless you're a bureaucrat :)
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah but wouldn't change a thing if they didn't 'coz I'm not a damn kid.
:iconcatmd:
CatMD Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
well, I don't live with them, so I wouldn't know whether they know. But if they do, I imagine their reaction would be as though they find out I have twitter, they simply won't care... Unless dA will make a decent about of cash for me xD
:iconalalampone:
alalampone Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
yep! my mom shows it to her friends as a way to spread my art around and get me some commission work
I guess it's sort of like a portfolio
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Nope, since I'm a grown woman and don't have to share everything I do on the internet with them.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Yep! :#1:

My parents are incredibly supportive of my artistic interests (and often wish to be more involved with some of it. My dad wants to read my comic stuff. My dad is the reason I got into cartoons and anime. My mom keeps an eye out on fabrics I could use to make costumes) :). My siblings are equally as supportive, my niece wants to get into art because I've drawn a lot around her, and my husband does 3D artwork and keeps a dA account (though, he hasn't used it in years).:lol: My family is full of dorks!
:icondewdropmon:
Dewdropmon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Your family sounds great.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
They have their moments, but as far as personal hobbies go, my immediate family is pretty mellow about it :)
:iconxranberry:
Xranberry Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They don't.
This might be reaction if I tell them>> [link]
:iconxranberry:
Xranberry Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This might be there*
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They know, and as others have said "don't give a flying fuck."
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
My parents don't even know what a deviantart is
:iconkeikasate:
keikasate Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
My /parents/ dont know i have one, but my granparents do, they support me with art and stuff, but my grandma said that i should be aware that not all artist are successful.
Add a Comment: