Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

should i draw my manga right to left or left to right?

:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Jan 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
ok i know the rules about reading manga from right to left but i have a question. i have been drawing manga for awhile and i just got published to redtea manga (english publishing company) and i was wondering you alls opinion. should i traditionally do my manga from right to left or do it the english way form left to right......Jack Frost did it the english way but at the same time i feel that if and when it gets translated or even makes it way to Japan, that is should be done the traditional way for comfort idk. Also feel free to check out my group that has the manga and illustrations im talking about>>>>>>>>>> [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Thank you all I understand and will do it in the traditional English way.
:iconhopelesspandora:
HopelessPandora Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
If it's going to be published in America, then it should be written from left to right. It has to appeal to Americans, after all, before an agency will take a chance and allow it to be published in another country.
:icongeekysideburns:
geekysideburns Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
If it's in English, and your language requires you to read left to right, draw it that way.

It would be the same as us importing comics to Japan, which are normally not flipped. Also, Korean comics read left to right as well, even if it's manga influenced.

If you're don't write and read that way naturally don't bother confusing yourself.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Jan 12, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
The only reason any manga is in right to left is because it was originally japanese and then translated, and flipping the artwork would ruin stuff like onomatopoeic kanji. Most native english speakers have a lot of difficulty reading right to left, even if they know they're supposed to. Even if someone can read right to left and not get their panels mixed up, most people will still interpret artwork from left to right and ruin the proper sequence for themselves.

If you are publishing in an English country with an English publishing country, make the pages the way all native English speakers will naturally read them. Do not alienate part of your audience for the sake of authenticity.
:iconerspears:
erspears Jan 12, 2013  Professional
"...if and when it gets translated or even makes it way to Japan..."

You're getting ahead of yourself, I think.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Jan 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I hope you didn't write your manga as badly as you wrote this thread. 
Apparently not when I am trying to ask a question on a forum site...seems like i rushed a little but really
:icongagglygoo:
That grammar makes me cringe!
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
I feel that you should do your artwork the English way. Why try to be like every other mangaka when you can be different? Just saying. :D
Add a Comment: