Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 442

What does your sketchbook mean to you?

:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Filmographer
I was thinking today about my sketchbook...

My sketchbook used to be simply where I would draw weird stuff and practice my drawings. But now that I use it daily, it's become more than that, to the point where it's practically a teenage girl's diary, a place where I store all of my hopes, dreams, anxieties and fears. I've gone from wanting to show everyone all my drawings to having to hide my sketchbook away from people when I'm drawing as it holds too many personal things.

So, DeviantArt, I was wondering..

What does your sketchbook mean to you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartsenseiofdreams:
Artsenseiofdreams Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My sketchbook to me is my imagination on pages. I fill it with things I love and things I care about. I also draw things that I wish I had and things I'm not good at drawing so I can get better at them. But mostly, my sketchbook is my memories. I draw how I feel at the time and have so many things going on in my head when I draw a picture, so years later I can look at a picture and see that exact memory when I drew this and how I felt at the time. It's almost like an archive of my life haha. I have so many personal things in there, but I don't mind showing people because I love when I can make someone smile to see a picture I drew or something I made :)
:iconwrappedinblack:
WrappedInBlack Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Never really thought about this... But I know that I get SUPER SAIYAN MAD when someone touches or looks in one of my sketch books without permission.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Filmographer
Hahaha, you do?
Come to think of it, I guess I would be pretty pissed too... There's some weird stuff in my one..
:iconcjwolfer:
cjwolfer Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
A place where I've kept many of my old story ideas, characters, and dreams. Unfortunately, this makes it extremely private, and I tend to find myself hiding it from most other people. (Plus, all of the sweet and touching scenes I've drawn look fine and innocent to me, but tend to take on strange/inappropriate connotations when shown to other people. It's best to keep my sketchbook to myself.)
:icon18thmonster:
18thmonster Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist
I used to be fairly precious with what I put in my sketchbook, but I am trying harder to not worry about it. Trying to fill it up as much as I can with a wider variety of things, but I'm still developing that habbit.
Although I still love my sketchbook. They are often silly.
:iconkrisseymage:
KrisseyMage Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Lately I've only been sketching on my break at work, so it's become more of an outlet. But usually a journal of ideas, which only a few see the light of day.
:iconskystalker:
Skystalker Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It used to be a sort of 'showcase' for only the supposed best of the best...but that ended up making me not fill it up because I worried too much about ruining it. :lol:

I have two sketchbooks...One strictly for studies, and one for nonsense. The nonsense one is teaching me not to be so nitpicky about my sketches. Ever since I've relaxed and just let myself draw, I've been drawing a lot more. :nod: I think everyone should have an 'everything goes' sketchbook.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student Filmographer
I get exactly the same way! I get so nervous about drawing in it I end up never drawing anything at all... Which is totally not the reason I bought a sketchbook! XD

I've noticed that with myself, too. I have a little pocket book that I draw in daily, and I've found that when you do it often, drawing just becomes so much easier!
:iconskystalker:
Skystalker Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:lol: Yep! I think a lot of people go through the "Ohh nooo I dont wanna ruin it with bad art!" thing XD

My mentor has told me that sometimes, the hardest part is just putting the darn pencil to the paper, because we spend so much time worrying about everything, and the time spent doing that could be time spent drawing. It's really helped me out. :nod: Good to hear you've been drawing more too! :la:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Filmographer
That's exactly what my problem is!
Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D
Add a Comment: