Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 442

What does your sketchbook mean to you?

:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Filmographer
I was thinking today about my sketchbook...

My sketchbook used to be simply where I would draw weird stuff and practice my drawings. But now that I use it daily, it's become more than that, to the point where it's practically a teenage girl's diary, a place where I store all of my hopes, dreams, anxieties and fears. I've gone from wanting to show everyone all my drawings to having to hide my sketchbook away from people when I'm drawing as it holds too many personal things.

So, DeviantArt, I was wondering..

What does your sketchbook mean to you?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartsenseiofdreams:
Artsenseiofdreams Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My sketchbook to me is my imagination on pages. I fill it with things I love and things I care about. I also draw things that I wish I had and things I'm not good at drawing so I can get better at them. But mostly, my sketchbook is my memories. I draw how I feel at the time and have so many things going on in my head when I draw a picture, so years later I can look at a picture and see that exact memory when I drew this and how I felt at the time. It's almost like an archive of my life haha. I have so many personal things in there, but I don't mind showing people because I love when I can make someone smile to see a picture I drew or something I made :)
:iconwrappedinblack:
WrappedInBlack Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Never really thought about this... But I know that I get SUPER SAIYAN MAD when someone touches or looks in one of my sketch books without permission.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Filmographer
Hahaha, you do?
Come to think of it, I guess I would be pretty pissed too... There's some weird stuff in my one..
:iconcjwolfer:
cjwolfer Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
A place where I've kept many of my old story ideas, characters, and dreams. Unfortunately, this makes it extremely private, and I tend to find myself hiding it from most other people. (Plus, all of the sweet and touching scenes I've drawn look fine and innocent to me, but tend to take on strange/inappropriate connotations when shown to other people. It's best to keep my sketchbook to myself.)
:icon18thmonster:
18thmonster Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist
I used to be fairly precious with what I put in my sketchbook, but I am trying harder to not worry about it. Trying to fill it up as much as I can with a wider variety of things, but I'm still developing that habbit.
Although I still love my sketchbook. They are often silly.
:iconkrisseymage:
KrisseyMage Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Lately I've only been sketching on my break at work, so it's become more of an outlet. But usually a journal of ideas, which only a few see the light of day.
:iconskystalker:
Skystalker Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It used to be a sort of 'showcase' for only the supposed best of the best...but that ended up making me not fill it up because I worried too much about ruining it. :lol:

I have two sketchbooks...One strictly for studies, and one for nonsense. The nonsense one is teaching me not to be so nitpicky about my sketches. Ever since I've relaxed and just let myself draw, I've been drawing a lot more. :nod: I think everyone should have an 'everything goes' sketchbook.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student Filmographer
I get exactly the same way! I get so nervous about drawing in it I end up never drawing anything at all... Which is totally not the reason I bought a sketchbook! XD

I've noticed that with myself, too. I have a little pocket book that I draw in daily, and I've found that when you do it often, drawing just becomes so much easier!
:iconskystalker:
Skystalker Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:lol: Yep! I think a lot of people go through the "Ohh nooo I dont wanna ruin it with bad art!" thing XD

My mentor has told me that sometimes, the hardest part is just putting the darn pencil to the paper, because we spend so much time worrying about everything, and the time spent doing that could be time spent drawing. It's really helped me out. :nod: Good to hear you've been drawing more too! :la:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Filmographer
That's exactly what my problem is!
Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D
:iconaoidimitri:
AoiDimitri Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The place where I express my current feelings or obsessions. xD
Haha, same as mine :D
:iconaoidimitri:
AoiDimitri Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lol xD
:iconcuppiecakiee:
cuppiecakiee Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My sketchbook is a good place where I can express myself.
Good good :)
:iconmanticsent:
ManticsEnt Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013
Here are some Good sketches [link]
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Filmographer
Please go away Spambot, you're beginning to cramp my style.
:iconghost-of-the-forest:
Ghost-of-the-Forest Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I think of my sketchbook as a place to draw down what I felt like drawing at the time and to stop doodling on my homework assignments (I don't think the teachers liked it) also to hellp me get ideas of what i want to draw sometime soon and practice with anatomy and shading.
Very nice :) Your gallery is really nice too!
Ghost-of-the-Forest Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Ghost-of-the-Forest Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Don't mention it :)
:iconkatr14:
katr14 Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student General Artist
My sketchbook is one big mess. It has poems written inside. It has ideas. Both to drawings, but also sculptures, and a lot of different things I will like to create. It is full of patterns. It is full of love, frustration and me. I am a mess, so it fits to me :D
Hahaha, I guess looking back my sketchbook is really bloody weird, so that fits me just right :D
:iconkatr14:
katr14 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student General Artist
Super :D Then we know it is our sketchbooks ;)
:iconaksysgamer:
AksysGamer Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I feel that my sketchbook is a way to show how Ive advanced when I buy another one. :D
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
Definitely! I see love flipping through old ones once I've reached the end of one :D
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My sketchbook is in some way my idea collection, I make small drawings and studies for more ambitious works, some find their way to finished pictures, other wait for their turn. =)
I love doing this too! Having this really random idea and hurriedly scribbling it down in a sketchbook before you forget it :D
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For me it's a little bit different, I have to put them on paper to get free from them, I simply can't work or sleep with an idea of a picture in my head :lol:
:iconxbetrayalx:
xbetrayalx Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Intense shame because I suck at drawing haha. Still, refuse to give up. Even if I am truly awful.

Though in college my sketchbook was photography based seeing as it was the assignments and got handed in for marking, so that one was a bit more comfortable rather than just random scribbles of comic book characters.
Hahaha, I'm pretty sure you make up for it with your photography! It's pretty darn good :D
:iconxbetrayalx:
xbetrayalx Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
haha thanks! i realise i'm nothing more than mediocre but it makes me happy so i appreciate that!
Mediocre my arse! I love your stuff :D
:icondefineyvonne:
DefineYvonne Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
my sketchbook is my second husband @ u @
Haha, if only I could marry my sketchbook :D
:icontruthsufferage:
TruthSufferage Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A bunch of shit drawings that are hard for me to look at. Any time I want to draw something in my sketchbook I see all of those God awful drawings and lose whatever good idea I had.
I've gotten to the point where I can maybe only do one good drawing a month. If I'm lucky.

It's grown almost completely useless now, because the only time I feel like drawing is when I'm in class and should be taking notes.
Don't talk like that dude!
Everyone has up periods and down periods in their drawings! I'm in a bit of a slumpy myself now, you just have to wait until you bounce back! Until then: Keep practicing! :)
:icontruthsufferage:
TruthSufferage Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks man. I mostly made that comment to vent my frustrations. I get too perfectionist over drawing and forget to have fun with it. I tend to have trouble with proportions and anatomy, and I notice mistakes in drawings I get too lazy to fix.

That and I have to much trouble drawing the ideas in my head because I usually can't figure out how to draw the pose. I do need to practice more, I'm just rarely in the mood.
I literally am the exact same as you. I'm waiting until I finish college in the summer and I have a 3 month long summer to focus on anatomy endlessly!
I kinda forget the fact that one of my sketchbooks is purely for fun and doodles. I put on so much pressure!
:icontidal-wave-art:
Tidal-Wave-Art Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
For me, it's more or less a bucket to dump out all the silly ideas that clutter my head. I can blank out doing a small drawing and then when I finish my mind is completely refreshed.
:iconthousandenemies:
ThousandEnemies Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My sketchbook is where I see my art grow. I have like 10-12 sketchbooks over the past couple years (plus random paintings, outside doodles, etc). It's amazing to see how much my art has changed. So in a way, it is like a diary, looking back at your old self and constantly improving.
10-12? That's some collection! I only have 4 at the moment, but I must imagine the progress in all of your books is amazing!
:iconevilameba:
Evilameba Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My sketchbook contains both finished drawings and doodles. I like when people looking through it take an interest in both, instead of passing up the messy stuff, cause a great many of my ideas start there. Also, I like looking back through my stack of filled sketchbooks and remembering the past. It's interesting how much a sketchbook can recall! Even if the drawings had no direct relation to what was going on in my life when I made them, somehow the general tone of how things were bleeds through. I love that they give me a glimpse into the past, as well as letting me visualize what is going on in my head in the present.
I love to do the exact same :) It's amazing how much a simple doodle can be linked to a memory or a certain period in your life :)
:iconevilameba:
Evilameba Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
And then in turn that can inspire more art!
Exactumundo! :D
:iconrycas:
RyCAS Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a place where I can "give life" to ideas, as well as a time capsule of sorts. Every sketchbook I own I've(hopefully) kept as it marks different points in my life the same a photo album would.
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Student Filmographer
That's a really great way of looking at them, actually! :)
They're like.. A window into my life at the time they were made.
:iconjollygolightly:
JollyGolightly Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think of my sketch book as the beginning and end of my artistic process
Add a Comment: