Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Spherical Perspective?? How do you draw characters in wide angle effect?

:iconjollysaintphil:
JollySaintPhil Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I'm trying to draw characters with a wide angle impact, but I'm having trouble.
Here are some examples of the effect i'm trying to achieve(all done by deviant artist, kalkulation):

[link]

[link]

[link]

I've been looking around and based on what I've seen, it seems that the backgrounds in these works contribute a lot to the effect. Is that what they call "two point perspective"? If so, how do you do that?

Also, how do YOU personally create perspective impact(of any sort) for YOUR characters/drawings? Do you use grid lines, feel the space freehand, etc...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblasian89:
Blasian89 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I believe it's called Fisheye Lens perspective.

There's no real method to do this except to draw in ordinary 2-point perspective, but using curved lines instead of straight lines. You're gonna have to eyeball it until it looks right.

It probably also helps to draw a large circle (that stretches off canvas) and use that as a guideline for your horizon.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
You should study perspective if you're not sure what kind of perspective those drawings are. The first is 3-point, the second is probably 1-point, and the third is definitely 1-point.

[link] Take a look at that tutorial. It covers your questions about wide-angle lenses and such, as well as teaching you basic perspective.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Its also called Curvilinear perspective and fish eye perspective. If you want absolute perfection, then its these following links that will help out:
[link]

[link]

[link]

Also if you add more perspective points too, that works out also. If you notice, after 3, it gets more dynamic and curvier.

If you just want to wing it, use the simpler versions, and add curved lines.

In a way its a little bit tougher, only because your dealing with curves, and if you do five point, its is alot to deal with.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Just ordinary perspective, 2 point, using slightly curved lines for effect instead of straight lines.

and yes to do a good perspective you need to draw in the horizon and pick your vanishing points, sometimes these are off canvas so your canvas in the drawing phase can often be bigger than the picture you intend to draw so you can get your perspective lines right.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Those all look like completely ordinary rectilinear perspective/gnomonic projection, or pretty close to it. They are just close up with wide angles, but no fancy non-linear projections. You'd draw it the same way you'd draw any normal perspective image.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Magic
Add a Comment: