Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

What are your favorite sites/sources for art curating/discussions?

:iconshotforshot:
ShotForShot Jan 8, 2013   Photographer
I've always had a hard time understanding a lot of modern (more "progressive") art, but would like to understand it on that deeper level. I'm also trying to find my voice as an artist and have made it one of my New Years resolutions to immerse myself more....sadly though, just going to museums and galleries really don't help much. I need to hear meaningful explanations/discussions (and good interviews of course) of the pieces to help me grow my understanding/appreciation. I'm finding a lot of my blogs/feeds tend to be very dull and boring with very little (if any) deeper thought involved. Anyone here have any good sites/sources for good art curations/discussions? Or even magazines for that matter?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmy-drawing-tutorials:
My-Drawing-Tutorials Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I like to search youtube for videos of artists discussing their work and ideas.

That seems to help me a lot with understanding how to interpret different art works.
ShotForShot Jan 9, 2013   Photographer
Sorry, I should have added - I just subscribed to the Art Frieze magazine on ipad....I downloaded the sampler and loved it. I found that a great magazine. Also started buying ArtForum but can't get into it as much...maybe I need to give it more time.
ShotForShot Jan 9, 2013   Photographer
Thanks.....I actually am back in college - I decided to re-enroll. I think the problem is that I'm a photography major and most of the classes revolve around lighting and the more technical aspects. I'd like more fine art oriented classes which they don't seem to offer much of.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Are you also considerning postmodern art. Look at Superflat, which is kind of a crituque of japanese popculture, including anime and manga. That might be more fun to look at.

Of course, you should visit the moma site or visit a moma museum. They should have guided tours too.
[link]
:iconbustermaximus:
Maybe start by watching some episodes of Art21 (actually, watch all of the episodes; it's simply the best series about contemporary art and artists.) Cool Hunting is a favorite place for me to go, especially for their videos. Smithsonian Magazine's Arts and Culture section has some good reads. You should probably be aware of ArtForum and ARTnews, as well as Art in America, which are three of the better-established contemporary arts publications in the U.S., of which I personally like ARTnews the best. Blouin Artinfo is also good for a visit.

I had more, but they've slipped my mind while compiling the links above. Sorry. Maybe if I think of them, I'll come back. At any rate, these are a good jumping-off point for at least getting to know what's happening in the realm of international contemporary art.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
since i go to college and my major is art studies, immediately i thought this: i think that taking a college class (or attending a one-time lecture for free/ open to public) would be great for what you're looking for. you have a lecturer/professor who is passionate and knowledgeable about their subject and can go on for a long time about the meanings of the art!
Add a Comment: