Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Anyone know of a Copic alternative??

:iconcalypso45:
calypso45 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I am learning how to paint manga with copics but they are so freaking expensive >.< I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative (cheaper) that won't sacrifice quality. Also the brush tips are essential. And the colors (ones that come in similar shades) are kinda important too. Or perhaps a website that sells copics cheaper than most? The cheapest i've found them is $129 for a set of 36. Love to hear your advice! ^W^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Filmographer
I've used a mix of Copics and Prismacolors. Prismacolor now has a brush line out, too, and I like the feel of their nib (although Copics still blend better). The only problem with Prismacolor is that while they're a buck or two cheaper per marker, they cost more to replace over time than Copics (because you can get Copic refills for about the same price as the marker, but depending on the marker you can get 4-10 refills).

There's also watercolors. Mark Crilley, who is a popular Manga tutorial artist on YouTube, seems to favor watercolors.
:icongeekysideburns:
geekysideburns Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013   Digital Artist
Watercolors. :D All the colors you want!
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Prismacolors. Shin Han Touch Markers. Letraset Promarkers. Pantone Universe Markers. Letraset Trias. Triart Markers. Blick Markers. Utrecht Markers. MEPXY Brush Markers.
calypso45 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
wow so many 0.o thanks so much
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Shinhan Touch are apparently a viable alternative to Copics.
:iconaimegami:
aimegami Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
what kind of look are you going for with your colored pieces? you can also go with slower wet media like colored ink or watercolors. i also know that there are some manga artists that work with a combination of markers and colored pencils.

you could also swap over to a water-based ink marker like Tombow.

i tend to avoid sets and just buy my markers in small hand-picked batches whenever the art store or craft store has a coupon or sale. it takes longer to acquire but if it's the media you want to work in it's worth it right?
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
they're called prismacolors.
:iconfersteger2:
fersteger2 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Prismacolor markers are what I use, they're like a dollar cheaper. Yeah, copics are expensive. Almost everything to do with traditionally created manga is expensive. Pen nibs over a dollar a piece, screentone is like 3 bucks a sheet at best. Markers are a couple bucks each. It comes out to like $25 a page. Crazy.
calypso45 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Yes, it's an expensive hobby >.< when my mom would buy supplies she would always say "why can't you find something cheaper to do!" haha thanks btw, i will try them. a dollar is a dollar right?
:iconfersteger2:
fersteger2 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I've only used a copic once or twice, I think they are markedly better and feel better to use than prismacolors, but for now I say just use whatever you can afford. There's also Tria markers, I think they're the same quality as prismacolor.
Add a Comment: