January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Starting to get discouraged

:iconkiruame:
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey. It's Kiruame.
I've always loved art but now, for the past few weeks, I couldn't think of any ideas on what to draw and so my art "talent" (my mom calls it that, I call it rubbish x3) has visibly decreased. I hate drawing what I see and I can't imitate detail that well if I'm outside so what should I do?
any ideas about what I should do or draw is awesome so, please help?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
You are over thinking it. There is a great quote that I can't remember word for word but its something like "You are most creative when you are a child and when you grow older you lose creativity because you try to be CORRECT." That was a horrible interpretation but the quote is basically about how we get older and we don't think creatively because we are afraid of mistakes. As a child you think of absolutely everything! Mistakes are fantastic! You need to stop being uptight with yourself and your abilities and just know that your way of thinking right now is what is setting you back.

Art isn't specific to anything. What is so wrong with creating your vision of detail or your own logic of shadowing? If you can do it in a creative way that makes sense to the whole composition then WHY THE HECK NOT? You don't need to follow any rules. What if you draw a world where shadows point differently than they would in our world? Or hard textures are actually soft in your world.

I hope this helped a little.
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
this actually helped a lot!! thank you so much!!
It helped me a ton as well. Last year, I felt the way you did. I read a book called "Thinking Critically" and the author goes deep on creativity.

It's a step in the right direction. Just don't expect too much out of yourself right off the bat. Keep practicing and drawing! No limitations.

Bye :D
thank you and bai bai! :iconbaibaiplz:
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Drawing exactly how you see it is just one way of creating a visual image. You could always go through stylization and abstraction of the referent object. Another good tip would be using photo or 3D reference. By doing that you can improve a lot on anatomy, colors, texturing and etc. Once that step is cleared you will find it much easier to draw using your mental vision.
alright~ I'll try this~ thank you very much
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
welcome :aww:
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional General Artist
You don't "have" to draw what you see. It's. Great way to learn, but if you really don't like doing it you don't have to. Forcing yourself to do something you hate will just make you dread doing the thing you enjoy.

Maybe just set aside time for it? Like maybe an hour or two once or twice a week to practice drawing what you see and then spend the rest of your time having fun with art and doing what you like!
Ok~! I'll just have to find time to set aside haha :)
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
maybe youre just getting bored? Try new sources of inspiration, or new things. Painting, sculpting, 3d modelling etc.
I'm not a huge fan of painting but I do like sculpting so I'll try some different varieties :)
:iconhopelesspandora:
HopelessPandora Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Try asking some friends to give you a prompt to go off of. Nothing specific, just a small prompt, like the 100 themes challenge, and force yourself to draw something. It sounds bad to force yourself, but sometimes it can lead to a new idea or inspiration. This method seems to help one of my friends. Maybe it will help you.
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This sounds like a very good idea! It also sounds like one of those, drawing something every day for a year kind of challenge which intrigues me. I'll be sure to ask my friends tomorrow and I'm sure they'll be willing to help as they like to foster my artistic talent.
:iconmy-drawing-tutorials:
My-Drawing-Tutorials Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
When I'm in a funk like that I usually like to just let go and sketch wildly without caring about how it turns out. Just pick a subject or object (anything) and start sketching it as fast as you can. It's very liberating and can make drawing fun for you again.
Haha ill be sure to try this! However, what might happen is i'll start drawing rapidly, but then ill see that I made a mistake and I'll edit it and I won't focus on not caring what i sketch and ill go over board with fussing over specific detail ^^;
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well you could always try coming up with little prompts to draw, and see where that gets you. It would be similar to a creative writing exercise, except with drawings. You could also look at shows/games/things you like and try some fan art until you get back into the hang of things.
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
alright... I'll try this as well as I do like fanart and the idea of making short stories with drawings :) Thank you
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No problem, I hope it helps!
:iconfacelessred:
FacelessRed Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Here's a secret. Most professional work you ever see is heavily based off of reference images. Poses, shading, details, all referenced. Whether from real life or from other similar work. I personally have always tried to avoid this, but in the end I realize that you have to draw from somewhere. The mind isn't always the best solution. You don't necessarily have to copy things, but you can certainly mix and match. Want a muscular horse rider with skeleton spaulders and an army of kittens? Well, Reference some kittens running, reference horse rider, and some skeletons. You will be able to create great things. (This is coming from a fool who doesn't reference crap, but trust me it helps).
very true! I thought I was the only one of very few who referenced images and such and I felt unoriginal but now that I know this, I'm can say I'm starting to get back some pride in my art because I know that the ideas that I come up with are almost always my own. Thank you for this advice :)
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Another example of professionals using references:

Some of the most famous Tolkien artists referenced almost every pose they drew. Frequently, friends of theirs would drop by to visit and find themselves stuffed in a bathrobe, given a broom, told to pose like Gandalf, and photographed from several angles.
haha wow~ I wonder who did the poses for Legolas.... <3 :) lol
:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I consider my art 'alright' for being self-taught, and I reference things quite often. Usually I reference my own photos or things around me (like my hands, objects, or people nearby), but it helps me put what I see in my mind (multi-dimensional) into a more 'stable and realistic' (3D) piece.

Dreams are always my biggest source for ideas. If you don't dream much just keep a dream journal and stick to it every day. If you keep at it with no breaks, eventually you can end up with pages (literally) of ideas every morning. Not to mention, more frequent lucid dreams which can bring about even more ideas. :)

Good luck!
Ok! I actually do have a dream journal that I got at a book fair and I haven't used it yet because I don't often remember dreams! But thank you! I will try to remember my dreams and I will put them in my dream journal so that it may help me!
The trick is to write in it -every day-, no matter what. If you don't remember your dreams that morning, write down your first thought upon wakening. Even if it's just, "I'm hungry."

As you keep a routine, it signals to the brain that you're serious about remembering your dreams and writing them down. And you will begin to remember your dreams more and more.

I will warn you, this may end up with you having pages worth of dreams every morning. Time is different in dreams, especially lucid dreaming, so you can experience a lifetime's worth of adventures in just one night's dreams.

If you do dream a lot over one night, don't worry about writing everything down - just anything you find noteworthy or strange/out of place. That or use a voice recorder to capture your dreams down quickly so you can review when you have more time.^^

G'luck!
Ok thank you!! But may I ask... What is lucid dreaming? I don't believe I've ever heard such a term before.
No prob! Lucid Dreaming is when you are consciously awake inside the dream world.

It has different aspects to it, but there are no levels/stages: you're either Lucid in the dream or you're not. A beginner can have one lucid dream or many in a short time, however a long-term practitioner can more reliably trigger/sustain them or do more 'tricks'. That's all.^^

When you're Lucid, you can do pretty much anything you want. You're basically in god-mode, so you can bypass simple 3D reality and so much more. As time is irrelevant in dreams, you can slow the clock down, pause it, or speed it up. You can live an entire lifetime's worth of experiences. Or multiple lives. Even all at once.

When you wake up here (Earth) in the morning, only a night has passed you by. So you can have many wondrous adventures, in just one (this) physical life. More than enough ideas to keep you drawing forever. :)

There's much more to Lucid Dreaming than what I said above, and plenty of websites out there to get you started. Some can lead Lucid Dreamers astray though, so best to follow your heart and let it guide you. And of course, listen to what your dreams say.^^
I have a question for you. Have you ever had a lucid dream? Stop feeding bogus to people. If you actually have lucid dreams then why not explain how you were able to do that? You personally. Don't say there are tons of site where you can get more information on lucid dreams. How about ACTUALLY telling us how you control yourself in your dream.
(1 Reply)
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That's amazing!! It sounds like something I've always wanted to do! Oh my gosh I have to learn how to do this *amazed* Oh thank you for explaining this to me~ ^-^
(1 Reply)
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
try taking requests or art trades, especially from people who have a character with a detailed-looking design. drawing someone else's character is a fun challenge for you, and it makes the other person happy too!!
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ok ^-^ If people look on my profile, they'll see that art trades and requests are always open for them and that all they need to do it note me but I guess I should go around and ask people because I'm not that well known around here haha x3 But thank you for the advice! i'll make sure to follow through with it! :)
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oh yeah i didn't look at your profile too carefully, but now i see that. XD

you can start a thread in the projects forum! (if you want, you don't have to)
haha ill think about it :)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I would suggest geting over the hate of drawing what you see.

The creativity has most likely used up the ideas you stored in your head, and needs refiling, that comes from life around you. Draw everything around you, just spend 30 min or so a day drawing something, doesn't matter what, you don't need to show them to anyone, they can just be rough sketches. And in a few days your ideas will start up again.
Alright... I will try this :) Thank you very much!
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
:bulletred: Lower your stakes. Doodle. Don't get attached to the results. If there's nothing in your head, just start with loose abstract shapes and see where that takes you. You may end up with a good drawing, you might end up with a "bad" one, but art isn't just about results, it's about the process.
Being attached to results builds pressure, you have an "all or nothing" feeling, like "if I can't make a GREAT drawing, I'd rather not draw at all" which is just too bad, because trust me you're going to make hundreds of "bad" drawings before you start consistently creating great stuff.

:bulletred: As much as you may dislike it, drawing what you see enables you to better draw what you imagined. It may take a while before you start considering it "fun", but trust me it does become fun very soon, especially if do it in fun places like outside in nature, in cafes, parks, museums, beaches...

:bulletred: As people already mentioned, your attitude is the key. If you love drawing so much, then LOVE it! Don't make up stories why you can't draw. "Not having any ideas" is not a valid excuse (see links below).

:bulletred: Inertia is a bitch. The longer you don't draw, the harder it gets to come back to drawing. Start drawing TODAY and just don't quit.

You can read more about this topic here: How to overcome an art block and here: 'Official' Artist's Block Thread.

P.S. You don't have to write "Hey. It's Kiruame." anywhere on DeviantART. We know, your username is right there in big bold letters.
haha thank you! This will definitely help me~ I have to thank both you and ~Vineris especially when I start drawing again because the truth was harsh but it made me realize some stuff so thank you again!

And yeah. putting my name is a bit of a habit so I've gotten used to doing that ^^; I'll remember that next time haha
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional General Artist
Getting through your artistic blocks is usually about realizing the harsh truth :) and I have plenty of experience with that... it's never easy, but it's very empowering.

I hope you'll get back into the habit of drawing soon! ;)
Kiruame Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Very true!
And thank you! :)
:iconaceofkeys72:
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You're best shot is get the momentum rolling. start with one drawing. then another. then another. this may not seem like much but each step starts connecting ideas to one another. If you can do that you wills start figuring out what works and what doesn't. progress will come as you go ;)
thank you for the advice ^-^ I will difinitely try this!
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
you definitely should give it a shot. it'll get your brain tinking ;)
I tried it today and I can say, I am starting to get the need to draw a bit more, but the feeling is very small right now so I'll continue this until I'm constantly drawing like I used to. :)
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
sounds like you know how to gauge your momentum. my best bet to get back into the motion is drawing, simple and easy. the more you do something the more it become ingranined. at least based on experience ;)
haha very true :icontrueplz:
AceOfKeys72 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
lol oh einstein ;)
lol ikr?! haha
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
"I call it rubbish"

You can't love it THAT much if you insult it and devalue it. Maybe your creative impulses have gotten tired of being called names and have decided to take a break. Carrying negative stuff in the back of your head can't be very pleasant for them.

Maybe if you stop insulting them and appreciate the ideas that show up and aren't as critical about your work and give your creative impulses things to play with they'll work with you again.
perhaps.. I do seem to criticize my work a lot if they don't come out the way I planned so I'll try to follow your advice :)
:iconsassi-senpai:
Sassi-Senpai Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This happens a lot and to most people, so don't feel too bad about it. You might just need a break for awhile, that's what I do sometimes, but I always come back to drawing. Something that might help is look at this things, photos, drawing, movies, and even listening to music might help get your creative juices flowing. Maybe instead of trying to draw something specific, you might try capturing a mood or feeling, an atmosphere. That might help too.

Anyway goodluck and I wish you all the best! :happybounce:
Add a Comment: