Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Do you put alot of thought into...

:iconlittledaughter:
LittleDaughter Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey, to all you painters out there. I was wondering how much thought you put into your work before you actually start painting on the canvass, and even then, what is running through your mind as you paint?

You see I have just started a new painting, the funny part is I don't know what to paint. I just put down the base coat last night because I got this "gotta paint" feeling in my stomach. (happens when writing to.) I guess you would call it inspiration but this is pretty pointless inspiration. (I just call it craziness LoL)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you ever just start painting without knowing what you are going to paint and does it ever turn out well?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlittledaughter:
LittleDaughter Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for the replies everybody. I finally decided on what I was going to paint, and I am taking everybody's advice and taking it slow. I am going to do a few sketches and such before hand before I actually get to work. Thanks Everybody!!! :D
:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I am not a painter, but I know how to paint and I have taken advanced courses for Life Drawing and Perspective. The thing that all the professors drill in your head (ALWAYS) is thumbnails. The pre-planning phase is extremely important to how great the composition of a piece is and to make sure that it follows all of the elements of design. That is not to say that you can't create a good image without pre-planning. However, a pre-planned image will always be overall better.

If you are just painting for fun, however, I don't see much of a reason to pre-plan if you don't really want to.

I hope this helped.
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Traditional Artist
A lot of my work is based on themes so i put quite a lot of thought into each piece. I think art should be a commentry on life, it should say something. Sometimes my paintings form part of a series so i have to think carefully about what elements i will incorporate into each piece and how they will be linked together. I don't understand how some artist can start with no plan at all but then again you can usually tell who put in the effort and who didn't. Whats the point of art if it doesnt say something.
:iconmaxspider72:
maxspider72 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Traditional Artist
I actually put a lot of thought into what I'm gonna paint. Thumbnail sketches and doodles, rough drafts in my sketchbook, a final sketch, and then I finally sketch it onto my canvas. I really would like to (and probably should, as a learning experience)try it your way sometime. :spidey:
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Whenever I do a painting I usually have some idea of what it should look like in my head. Very rarely does it ever turn out that way, though. I usually just throw down colors in a way that my brain thinks makes sense and it tends to work out in the end
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
obviously, the more planning = the better end result. you can't just randomly paint out of nothing with no plan and expect it to look like anything at all :la:

that isn't a painting, that's just a mess.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Not much thought at all like 90% of the time. I just go. Usually I have a concept that I made earlier, but when I did that it's pretty pulling things out of thin air.

Usually I'm not thinking of anything when I paint. I use painting to clear my head. My only thoughts are: "Gotta get this line right" or "let's try some of this color"
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
I always know what I draw before I start. I can see pictures in my head. I just visualize an idea in my head.
When I don't, it's most of the time rubbish, or abstract. I do abstract without thinking. I can also draw characters before coming up with them (but I have to have a basic idea before starting.
:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Unless it is purely landscape, I have always sketched out the subject of my paintings first. And I'm a big fan of masking fluid.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I'm more into drawing...but generalizing things into image making...yeah...lots of time goes into just thinking about what I'm going to do. I like at least a general plan/or composition in mind before I start. I have started "cold" a few times...only to realize half-way in I'm stuck...not that I don't get stuck with something I was sure I'd planned out. I do a fair amount of preliminary drawings, experiment with poses etc...pretty much so I know when I begin a finished piece I can reproduce all the elements. Usually though, I realize a change in this or that might make things better- or sometimes an element of a drawing just ain't happening so you have to change your game plan...it's the work part of artwork.
Add a Comment: