Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Anybody know about book copyrights???

:iconmechanic-geisha:
Mechanic-Geisha Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
Basically I'm writing a book at the moment of dark fairytales and I'm considering publishing it online for free for anyone who wants to download it or read it online because I'm doing it for fun and not the money and its my first little book project ,but the thing is with posting something online for free there comes the whole risk that somebody could copy parts of it or stories in full claim that they're their own and so on so I'm wondering how do I go about copyrighting my books artwork and the stories so I'm well protected in the future???

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
As everybody said, the copyright is yours automatically. However, the only way to protect your copyright is by taking violators to court. I doubt you're going to pay a lawyer $200 an hour to sue someone over this, so basically you have to sit down and make up your mind about what means more to you -- to have your book read by people, or to have your book safe and protected. Once you release it into the wild it will be read but anything might happen, and if you never release it then it will be safe but no one will read it.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Here's the thing-
Legally, it's already copyrighted to you. So technically all you need is proof that you wrote the original.

However, people take stuff from the internet, spread it around, and sometimes it gets published and whatnot, or someone else claims ownership, or takes it and changes a few details and sells it. Aaaand then you get into legal issues.

It IS in favor of the artist/author/etc, anyway.

But to be really, really safe, if you're really worried, you can wait until it's done and get it legally registered at the copyright office, I think it's something like $30, it's not expensive.

You'll have to check on the current rules for submission, last time I checked on literature it required a printed bound copy but that was a LONG time ago.

You DO need to have it complete before you can copyright it, though, otherwise you can only copyright what you currently have so you'll have to keep paying to add stuff.
:iconmechanic-geisha:
Mechanic-Geisha Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
Thank you everyone you all were really helpfull :)
:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
I got good and bad news for you. Good news is that you don't have to do anything to copyright your work and the bad news is that you won't be well protected what ever you do. Everything that you create is automatically copyrighted to you. When it comes to a story it is the actual text. Nobody is allowed to publish any text that you have written without your concent. However, you can't copyright subject matter. Anyone can take the same concept, write the same story use the same names. You can copyright certain brand names though. Or a specific look with a particular name. Like Disney does with most of their characters. But this is only done when there is money involved because it is costly and takes a lot of effort.

Bottom line is that you can never protect your ideas because anyone can have the same ideas.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Just producing it under your name is a type of copyright.

And getting a legal copyright does not protect you anymore if you cannot afford the lawyer to enforce it. So get a lawyer, talk to them, and get the legal paperwork in motion.
Add a Comment: