Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

Coloured pencils without the "scratchiness" ??

:iconneonrainn:
NeonRainn Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So I've tried many types of coloured pencils, all different brands, on both regular paper and fine tooth paper. Whenever I shade with the pencils it doesn't ever really look smooth. Like this [link] . Is there some way to blend this or what? I hate all the tiny gaps

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
You can try using a sanding board, and make the surface flat. That will not only be smooth but cover a bigger area. Also, a white crayon/white color pencil/blending stump would work too.

Although, you should actually be slow, and layer your colored pencils. Do cross hatching, and hatching practice too.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
press really hard?
:iconplanetsomsom:
Planetsomsom Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I used to use pencil crayons all the time and would use lots of hard layers to get it all as smooth as possible. I kind of regret it, actually, because I'm sure it did damage to my fingers pressing that hard. Plus, the smoother I got the surface, the more waxy buildup that appeared after a while. The wax just rises to the surface and leaves an icky wax skin on top.

If you want to be daring, I'll second Raerae's suggestion to use rubbing alcohol afterward. I once dipped a q-tip in and rubbed the surface with it and it really spread the colour around. But it does sort of soak through and I'm sure there is some archival issues involved.
:icongwendolyn12:
Gwendolyn12 Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Try Uni Mitsubishi colorpencils. They solve your problem, but... they're absurdly expensive.:XD:
:iconraerae:
raerae Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
You might look into soft chalk or pastel colored pencils I've started to see around.

Usually I just work on colored paper to give an overall tone to my picture. I've never been much one for burnishing. You can also lay a 'base coat' of colored pencil underneath and lay down a light wash of alcohol over the pigment...it works somewhat akin to watercolor pencils.
:icontales-of-haven:
I see that blending is coming up a lot, and if you don't want to go out and buy expensive blending pens/markers/pencils, using an unsharp white crayola works fairly well. :shrug:
It may not work for large white spots, though. Maybe you should try be very careful when you colour and make sure there are no gaps?
:iconhopelesspandora:
HopelessPandora Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
I saw an interesting video on Youtube about using baby oil to blend colored pencil just recently. It worked out well for me. Unfortunately, I don't have any deviations up as an example though.
:iconflameguitarcody:
flameguitarcody Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
as others have stated when doing color you want to wax on wax off young grasshopper excuse my nerdyness for the karate kid ref lol but yeah small circles blends in the pits because the color pigment makes it thicker than what a ordinary pencil is.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Try filling in color using tiny circles instead of straight lines. Also, getting a colorless blender, either a marker or pencil kind, will help push pigment into the crevices. Burnishing helps too, especially if you burnish with a color that's slightly lighter than your base color. What brand do you use?
:iconopiumtraum:
You can also use turpenoid & a brush to get the same effect as the color marker- same principle- it's solvent breaking down the binder...you get a little bit of a wash that fills the holes. The danger is- if the color is already heavily applied...the solvent will break the binder down- you risk pushing color around- like there was a fine layer of mud on your work. I use the turpenoid technique a lot...I've had success & plenty of "oh shit" moments.
Add a Comment: