Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 199

DDs. A award or a joke?

:iconidjpanda:
iDJPanda Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, it's been in my head for a while to ask the forums about this and I finally did. I'm just asking, when did DDs start to get given out to every type of art? I starting to miss when DDs were given to exceptional pieces of art instead of some bland photo shot or a pony vector; DDs arenít what they used to be. Now when I go to the DD section, I donít even want to favorite half of it. Then when somebody says, ďWhy did this get a DD?Ē youíll end up getting the generic dA FAQ, #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature? Itís like nobody can argue with that.

So Iím asking dA and other members; what do you think about the quality of the DDs received nowadays?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatel1er:
ATEL1ER Feb 27, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconfacebooklikeplz:
I dunno. It's just one of the reasons I go on this site everyday to see what kinds of art were deem 'worthy' enough by a CV.
:iconwaldemar1:
A man was sleeping on his deathbed. The man woke up to see his wife silently praying beside him.

He said, " Martha, I have something to confess to you."

She said, "No dear, save your energy."

He said, "I must tell you so I may pass on to heaven, I cheated on you."

She said, " I know, I poisoned you."

:iconalicexofxdarkland:
AliceXofXdarkland Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
it's not only the quality of DD's that seems to have gone down, but the quality of art in general here. the age group getting "popularity" seems to have gotten younger and i've seen a lot of them using DA as more of a sharing site like tumbr than actually about art. in the past few months i have seen far too many "inspirational" or amusing images that have been around facebook and tumbr for ages but there is no way to report this.
personally i don't think it's a coincidence that the age group has dropped along with the quality of work. i don't even bother going to the main page anymore because all i seem to see is more my little pony fan art than you can shake a stick at and badly written poetry and prose. i don't argue that everyone deserves the chance to get recognition for their work, but i do think there are much better candidates here than what does seem to be getting it just lately.
if DA had DD's and front page stuff as a randomly selected collection it would be much fairer than going off "popularity". that way everyone would be in with a good chance of getting some extra coverage.
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Feb 20, 2013  Professional Photographer
this site sucks for recognition of good artwork.
:iconidjpanda:
iDJPanda Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconfacebooklikeplz:
:iconlaxurin:
Laxurin Feb 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I've been pretty frustrated with the DDs for a while. There were days that I saw the same artists featured EVERY day. I can understand that they probably worked hard, but who doesn't work hard everyday? Do they really need a feature for that? I used to hope that someday I'd become good enough to get a feature, now, I don't even care since everything seems to be either the same artists, or the same kind of work.

It feels more like a popularity contest than an amazing work that deserves to be seen.
:iconmadame-rien:
I know what you mean, when I 1st got to the site I was blown away by the art and artist digital and traditional etc. and I saw the DDs and I was like wow they deserve the feature but that was 2 years ago. I started drawing like few months after I got into DA and I am not sure if it is because I started to do art or if it is because I am on the site to much but DDs don't seem what they used to be. I look every day and only fav one or two, and I suggest them in my group from the artist there, and their works are amazing and the staff never features them! I always thought they choose DDs by the standard of originality,creativity and skill which how I choose the work that goes into my feature gallery in my group but after I see the artwork lately I don't really think that is the case. They claim they want to see amazing pieces to feature and I suggest it and they ignore it, I am confused.

I admit I am not a great artist and I am happy for artist that get a DDs but I don't see it as such an amazing honor, many make a big deal of it but after I see some of the artworks that being feature and some look the same and others look like the person did not take their time and pretty much did a line art with color, I don't see as a huge honor like I did when I came to the site. I just assume it is admin taste and they want to feature artist who haven't got one or a lot? I honestly don't know. But I guess it is just all taste.
:iconoperia:
Operia Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A DD isn't an award. It's basically just a feature by the CV's of stuff they think is underappreciated
:iconthraxllisylia:
thraxllisylia Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree there is a discrepancy but there is in comparison to the older times an exponential growth in user base. I joined dA 10 years ago and the whole digital atmosphere in fads and communities has shifted, sped up. places I used to hang around have collapsed. I kinda miss those times, but in effect I feel with ever shifting mods and tastes so to does volume and appreciation for different media..

Am proud of my 4 DD's however, I cherish the acknowledgement.
Flagged as Spam
Add a Comment: