Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 199

DDs. A award or a joke?

:iconidjpanda:
iDJPanda Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, it's been in my head for a while to ask the forums about this and I finally did. I'm just asking, when did DDs start to get given out to every type of art? I starting to miss when DDs were given to exceptional pieces of art instead of some bland photo shot or a pony vector; DDs arenít what they used to be. Now when I go to the DD section, I donít even want to favorite half of it. Then when somebody says, ďWhy did this get a DD?Ē youíll end up getting the generic dA FAQ, #873: What do I do when I disapprove of a Daily Deviation feature? Itís like nobody can argue with that.

So Iím asking dA and other members; what do you think about the quality of the DDs received nowadays?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatel1er:
ATEL1ER Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconfacebooklikeplz:
I dunno. It's just one of the reasons I go on this site everyday to see what kinds of art were deem 'worthy' enough by a CV.
:iconwaldemar1:
Waldemar1 Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013
A man was sleeping on his deathbed. The man woke up to see his wife silently praying beside him.

He said, " Martha, I have something to confess to you."

She said, "No dear, save your energy."

He said, "I must tell you so I may pass on to heaven, I cheated on you."

She said, " I know, I poisoned you."

:iconalicexofxdarkland:
AliceXofXdarkland Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
it's not only the quality of DD's that seems to have gone down, but the quality of art in general here. the age group getting "popularity" seems to have gotten younger and i've seen a lot of them using DA as more of a sharing site like tumbr than actually about art. in the past few months i have seen far too many "inspirational" or amusing images that have been around facebook and tumbr for ages but there is no way to report this.
personally i don't think it's a coincidence that the age group has dropped along with the quality of work. i don't even bother going to the main page anymore because all i seem to see is more my little pony fan art than you can shake a stick at and badly written poetry and prose. i don't argue that everyone deserves the chance to get recognition for their work, but i do think there are much better candidates here than what does seem to be getting it just lately.
if DA had DD's and front page stuff as a randomly selected collection it would be much fairer than going off "popularity". that way everyone would be in with a good chance of getting some extra coverage.
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Photographer
this site sucks for recognition of good artwork.
:iconidjpanda:
iDJPanda Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconfacebooklikeplz:
:iconlaxurin:
Laxurin Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I've been pretty frustrated with the DDs for a while. There were days that I saw the same artists featured EVERY day. I can understand that they probably worked hard, but who doesn't work hard everyday? Do they really need a feature for that? I used to hope that someday I'd become good enough to get a feature, now, I don't even care since everything seems to be either the same artists, or the same kind of work.

It feels more like a popularity contest than an amazing work that deserves to be seen.
:iconmadame-rien:
Madame-Rien Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I know what you mean, when I 1st got to the site I was blown away by the art and artist digital and traditional etc. and I saw the DDs and I was like wow they deserve the feature but that was 2 years ago. I started drawing like few months after I got into DA and I am not sure if it is because I started to do art or if it is because I am on the site to much but DDs don't seem what they used to be. I look every day and only fav one or two, and I suggest them in my group from the artist there, and their works are amazing and the staff never features them! I always thought they choose DDs by the standard of originality,creativity and skill which how I choose the work that goes into my feature gallery in my group but after I see the artwork lately I don't really think that is the case. They claim they want to see amazing pieces to feature and I suggest it and they ignore it, I am confused.

I admit I am not a great artist and I am happy for artist that get a DDs but I don't see it as such an amazing honor, many make a big deal of it but after I see some of the artworks that being feature and some look the same and others look like the person did not take their time and pretty much did a line art with color, I don't see as a huge honor like I did when I came to the site. I just assume it is admin taste and they want to feature artist who haven't got one or a lot? I honestly don't know. But I guess it is just all taste.
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A DD isn't an award. It's basically just a feature by the CV's of stuff they think is underappreciated
:iconthraxllisylia:
thraxllisylia Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree there is a discrepancy but there is in comparison to the older times an exponential growth in user base. I joined dA 10 years ago and the whole digital atmosphere in fads and communities has shifted, sped up. places I used to hang around have collapsed. I kinda miss those times, but in effect I feel with ever shifting mods and tastes so to does volume and appreciation for different media..

Am proud of my 4 DD's however, I cherish the acknowledgement.
:iconenzolima:
Enzolima Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
A guy who was in the Air Force had just spent a year unaccompanied in Shemya, Alaska. The first night home, he told his wife he had something to show her.

"I've mastered the art of mind over matter. Just watch this!" And with that he dropped his trousers and shorts and stood before her in his altogether. "Dick, ten-HUT!" And with that, his dick sprang to full erection. "Dick, at EASE!" And his dick deflated again.

"That was amazing," said his wife. "Can I bring over our neighbor to show her?"

The guy responded that he didn't mind at all, since he was proud of his accomplishment. So his wife brought back a delicious looking woman.

"Dick, ten-HUT!" And his penis sprang up. "Dick, at EASE!" Nothing. "Dick, at EASE!" Still nothing. "For the last time, Dick -- at EASE!"

Frustratingly enough, nothing happened. Embarrassed, he ran off to the bathroom. Worried, his wife ran after and found that he was vigorously masturbating.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm giving this guy a dishonorable discharge!"

:iconrailrunnermiranda:
railrunnermiranda Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional
Personally, the DD's do feel like an award - especially to an artist that works their ass off to create something spectacular. Featuring the artist over all of deviant art, if feels like we're being rewarded for working hard on a particular piece. It's difficult for any artist to get noticed and be popular both on Da and in the art world. So getting rewarded with some free publicity is nice.

That's just my opinion at least. And yes, there are a few pieces that I have questioned why they were awarded with a feature when there are other gems on this site that could have deserved more attention for the amount of hard work that the artist put into them.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I always question the simple out of focus photos. And I am not talking about focus simply being used in a creative way, I mean flat out blurry. No artistic merit. Just pointing the camera at some random thing, going as far out of focus as possible, and snapping the pic.
:iconkulcsararmand:
KulcsarArmand Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Two cannibals, a father and son, were elected by the tribe to go out and get something to eat. They walked deep into the jungle and waited by a path.

Before long, along came this little old man. The son said, "Ooh dad, there's one." "No," said the father. "There's not enough meat on that one to even feed the dogs. We'll just wait."

Well, a little while later, along came this really fat man. The son said, "Hey dad, he's plenty big enough." "No," the father said. "We'd all die of a heart attack from the fat in that one. We'll just wait."

About an hour later, here comes this absolutely gorgeous woman.

The son said, "Now there's nothing wrong with that one dad. Let's eat her."

"No," said the father. "We'll not eat her either."

"Why not?" asked the son.

"Because, we're going to take her back alive and eat your mother."

:iconjettjobson:
JettJobson Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
One day a man goes to a pet shop to buy a parrot. The assistant takes the man to the parrot section and asks the man to choose one. The man asks, ''How much is the yellow one?''

The assistant says, ''$2000.'' The man is shocked and asks the assistant why it's so expensive. The assistant explains, ''This parrot is a very special one. He knows typewriting and can type really fast.''

''What about the green one?'' the man asks.

The assistant says, ''He costs $5000 because he knows typewriting and can answer incoming telephone calls and takes notes.''

''What about the red one?'' the man asks.

The assistant says, ''That one's $10,000.''

The man says, ''What does HE do?''

The assistant says, ''I don't know, but the other two call him boss.''

:iconcoo1cat:
Coo1Cat Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
of course it's a matter of taste
and not only skill, but content, however...

there are artworks i would barely call art, reason why i expect anything in my gallery (and everyone's) to get a DD all of sudden. even scraps.

it's about luck
:iconcrisscum:
Crisscum Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
Mom and Dad were trying to console Susie, whose dog, Skipper, had recently died.

"You know," Mom said, "it's not so bad. Skipper's probably up in Heaven right now, having a grand old time with God."

Susie stopped crying and asked, "What would God want with a dead dog?"

:iconusernamedesired:
usernamedesired Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013
I don't view DDs as an award, I view them more like a site feature. DDs are usually kind of meh, but it's fine with me. I have never thought of the DD section as a significant source of inspiration. Obviously DA has some lovely stuff, but it's easier for me to flip through tumblr or look at specific blogs/design studios because it goes faster and there's a higher concentration of professional work that's worth looking at.
:iconryanpalevic:
RyanPalevic Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013
Nice Joke Sharing.........

There was a little boy and a little girl in a bathtub having a bath. Suddenly the little girl looked down at the boy.

"Can I touch it?"

"No way -- you already broke yours off!"

:iconevanatt:
Evanatt Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
I think the one of the reason why people maybe think it was better before could be because we have just trained ours eyes during the years. Also there are more DD each day than it used to be, so I guess that can make it feel less "special".
I miss that there is barely no DD anymore with a small comment below, I think that feel kinda lazy somewhat? Is there really nothing that the one who picked this DD have to say about it, sorta.

Speaking of art and quality and such, I do think Da have become less about art recent years. I've noticed many artists have just simply left this site because of this.
:iconnaplex:
naplex Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
News just in of Microsoft's latest venture: Microsoft Corporation has taken another step toward dominating every aspect of American life with the introduction of Contraceptive98, a suite of applications designed for users who engage in sex. Microsoft has been a pioneer in peer-to-peer connectivity and plug and play.

It believes these technologies will give it substantial leverage in penetrating the copulation enhancement market. The product addresses two important user concerns: the need for virus protection and the need for a firewall to ensure the non-propagation of human beings.

The Contraceptive98 suite consists of three products: Condom98, DeFetus 1.0 (from Sementec), and AIDScan 2.1 (from Norton Utilities). A free copy of Intercourse Explorer 4.0 is bundled in the package. The suite also comes in two expanded versions. Contraceptive98 Professional is the Client/Server edition, for professionals in the sexual services sector. Contraceptive98 Small Business Edition is a package for startups, aimed at the housewife and gigolo niches.

While Contraceptive98 does not address nontraditional copulatory channels, future plug-ins are planned for next year.

OPERATION: Only one node in a peer-to-peer connection needs to install the package.

At installation, the Condom98 software checks for minimum hardware. If the user meets the requirements, the product installs and is sufficiently scaleable to meet most requirements. After installation, operation commences. One precaution is that the user must be sure they have sufficient RAM to complete the session. When the session is complete, a disconnect is initiated, and the user gets the message, it is now safe to turn off your partner.

DRAWBACKS: Usability testers report that frequent failures were a major concern during beta testing. General Protection Fault was the most serious error encountered. Early versions had numerous bugs, but most of these have been eliminated. The product needs to be installed each time its used.

CONCLUSION: Contraceptive98 is a robust product. Despite its drawbacks, it is reasonably good value for its $49.95 price tag, and is far superior to its shareware version. Hopefully, future releases (of the software, that is) will add missing functionality, such as Backout and Restore, uninterruptible Power Supply and Onboard Camera.

Microsoft CEO Bill Gates is optimistic that "Our contraceptive products will help users do to each other what we've been doing to our customers for years."

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Personally, I've seen it go both ways. If I were to receive one, I'd feel pretty honored, not only since someone felt my work was good enough to be featured, but also because it's a huge help in terms of getting noticed. But then again, I have seen my share of DD's that I've thought were shit. But I think there's more good than bad out there. It's not like it's a popular vote, it's just some person picking out what they like, so it's only natural that they'll pick a few that people don't like.
Flagged as Spam
HAaaaaaa ha haaaaaa, that was a good one.
:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   Writer
:lol:
:iconlollyxbeans:
LollyxBeans Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
This is all rather catty in my opinion. It's like you're all running around the beach kicking people's sand castles over because they aren't 'good enough'. Your one opinion on something doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the recognition it gets. For example, I hate Taylor Swift's lyrics. That's not to say she doesn't deserve her career or her fans. It just means that I don't have to listen to her music.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't really know how it used to be, but nowadays I see DD's more as a way to bring new artist under attention than as an award for skill.
I can't judge for photography, as I'm not really into it. Although I do notice that a lot of photography that makes it contains females with an ideal body type and lots of skin exposed. For art... often I see art that is nice, but has too many mistakes on color and/or anatomy to be really exceptional. I used to think that, in order to make it to a DD, your art should be at an exceptional level. But nowadays I see too many works that I would be able to reproduce because they're not that hard to make.
:iconjordan71495:
Jordan71495 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
DDs are a feature not an award. People suggest artwork for DDs of work they feel should get more attention. This doesn't mean professional. I think anyone should be able to get a DD, because even if the art isn't great, the added attention gives them more opportunities to get critiques and other feedback.
:icontylon:
Tylon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Artist
This might sound awful but I haven't looked at DD's in probably 2 years (since DA did that whole expandable and retractable footer). I have the footer closed because I never really like the work featured (it is personal preference). It's just often not the type of art I personally enjoy so while I can understand I'm sure each item takes a lot of work, time and dedication- sometimes certain styles and mediums just don't cut it for me. After seeing such an over abundant amount of work that doesn't fit my tastes- I just closed up the option, so now I don't have to look at any of it. I used to always ask "I don't like this- why is it featured?" But then I would see hundreds of other people did like it- which told me it was simply my personal preferences. I would never put somebody and their work down so I usually ignore and don't comment. I will admit many years ago when I first started here- I always wanted a DD seeing how much time and dedication I spent on this site. I guess back then I felt like it would prove I was "worthy" of being an artist. Now I feel like I don't have to prove anything hah.

I think for those who receive it- it is an honor and they should be proud of the fact their work is recognized by the community regardless of their style or skill level. I don't need a DD to tell me my work is liked or appreciated. It's not going to change what I do or how I view the community. I'm still going to create and go about my work as I always do. I have won awards and features on various sites- and while I am honored and appreciate it to the fullest extent- I just love what I do- creating. I will continue even if I never win another award or feature again.
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
We all know that art is a bit subjective however it's not that hard to recognize someone's good work, even if it's not 'your kind of art'.

I've been here for a few months so I don't know about the old DDs, but it's hard to find an creative DD.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
I USED to think that Daily Deviations were only given out to the best of the best(or at least decent artists), but after seeing this:

I figured that it's pretty much just all a matter of opinion. :XD:

Apparently it is not an award based on artistic merit; but on how much the art "speaks" to the CV. Or if the CV just likes it, that's all. :XD: It's merely just a feature for artists that need exposure according to the CVs.... I dunno, just read the deviation description for more details.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it. :XD: It's nice to have one, but it's nothing big. :)

And btw, I do know that some CVs post DDs that they don't necessarily like. I'm just saying in general. =P
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Digital Artist
I just read the artist's comment on that. :rofl: That's a hilarious story behind it.
IKR? :XD:
I thinks some of us give to it more value than it really deserve

Because I'm new here I used to see DDs as an award given to original outstanding art, but after you post guess I was wrong XD
Lol yup!

Yeah... same. Now it gives me hope! Just a little though. Maybe in a few years we'll get one. >:3
Yeah! :fingerscrossed:
Yep. Gotta cross dem fingers.
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It used to be given out on merit, like 7 years ago. And the it wasn't DD's it was only DD. That's when it seemed more special, like an award.
:iconactsofart:
ActsofArt Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think I remember that and preferred it. Because I used to pay attention to DD now I have no interest in it whatsoever because there's like no standard.
Just one? :O Holy shit, that's an honor. Now there's what, twenty every day?
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i know crazy , huh?
Oh... I see...

But didn't they say in that whole journal based off of DDs and their myths that DDs were never given out just for artistic merit? :confused:

I've only been on here for a year and a half so forgive me, lol. ^^;
Back when it was just a DD, one Daily Deviation per day, there were much better quality. I've been here for 7 years. Things were different, it used to be more of an actual ART website as opposed to a Social Networking site. As this website has grown they've had to "pay the bills" and that mentality has changed a lot around DA. But I still love it here.
Ah... interesting. :nod:

But do you think it's fair that some artist who aren't exceptionally good, but good nevertheless deserve DDs? Just wondering. :XD:
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
This, , is the first DD on this site. One a day. Then there were hardly that many categories or CVs for each categories which obviously is one reason that one was featured a day. If that same type work were to be featured now, most would be grunting and commenting with the whole "DDs are downgrading/site going downhill" again. :hmm:
Ohhh... :I

It stinks being a 1-year old deviant newbie. :stare:

Thanks for the backup. :3
Actually, it's not even one a day. Sometimes there weren't even any due to how limited amount of pictures there were, or scribbles so to speak sometimes. :P   
(1 Reply)
This is the same attitude older generations sometimes take of "back in my days...etc etc..nowadays blah blah".
It's bound to happen if thoughts are like that.
(1 Reply)
yeah. I think every should have a shot so long as the art looks good. and isn't just slapped together. that where i kinda like the newer DD's but some of the DD's they have picked haven't even been good lately..
Add a Comment: