Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Colored Pencil Questions

:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I've been thinking about getting a set of either Faber-Castell's Polychromos or Albrecht-Durer pencils, which are the water-soluble line. My question is, other than water-solubility, is there any difference in the way these two pencils handle?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbonnieknox:
BonnieKnox Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I prefer the Faber-Castell ones. There is another brand, Caran Dache that is even better, but are expensive as hell too
Have you used both the polychromos and the albrecht-durer? I've looked at the Caran D'ache pencils. They seem really nice but that's a little out of my budget right now. :lol:
:iconbonnieknox:
BonnieKnox Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, they are nice, but for some reason my drawings look more grainy with those than with the Caran Dache. Another option is mix the pencil colors with crayons, I do it sometimes to smooth the drawing and cotton, cotton for blending

I have a Caran Dache nice box from years ago, it was an unexpected gift, they are so damn expensive, but I am saving for a new big box. They turn out wonderful if yo can get them. :)
Yeah, I had noticed that graininess when looking at drawings done with them, but I think I'd be able to work around it. Can't be any worse than Prismacolor's graininess.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I've never heard of a watercolour pencil that wasn't less vibrant, more finicky, and more difficult to blend than its standard coloured pencil counterpart. They're really only worthwhile if you're using them with watercolours. Artists who want to focus on coloured pencil drawings should probably just get regular coloured pencils.
Any pencil, even cheap ass Rose art pencils, can blend beautifully if you know what you are doing with them. I was specifically looking at the Albrecht-Durer pencils because they were super bright and came in the same colrs as the Polychromos. [link]

I was mainly wondering if they were any different texturally to the Polychromos.
:iconkyteglory:
KyteGlory Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
I didn't say they can't blend beautifully, I said they're more difficult to blend. Which, by the way, is a comment about the texture and handling. When coloured pencils are difficult to blend, it's because there are problems with the binder which prevent it from layering well, forcing you to be especially careful or even limit your techniques: With watercolour pencils, it's usually because the lead is extremely dry and brittle [watercolour pencils are designed to be used on a wet surface, or made wet directly thereafter, so there is no moisture contained in the binder--the oils and waxes normally used to keep coloured pencils moist and creamy would act as a resist against the water and ruin the 'watercolour' property] so if you're not gentle or use too many layers, the bottom layers get crushed into powder and you end up getting that same nasty-ass smudged-pencil look that noobs get when they try to "smooth" their shading by smearing it around with their finger.

But I've never used Albrecht-Durer pencils in particular. Maybe they're speshul and good. I can just say that every other watercolour line I've used has had a substantially cheaper feel to the lead. They're stiff, stubborn, and they don't behave themselves once they get on the paper. I definitely wouldn't trust any watercolour pencil, no matter what anybody said about a particular brand, until I bought a few for myself and saw for myself.
What brand of watercolor pencils have you used? Of the brands I've used, If I may ask? I've had pretty decent luck with smooth and creamy pencils.
Add a Comment: