January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

Extremely Discouraged

:iconarkxous:
Arkxous Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hiya,

I've been drawing for 3 and half years, and I'm working on bettering myself as an artist. I've noticed alot of improvement since the beginning. Though, I feel extremely discouraged when I look at younger artists work. Is this normal?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Very understandable indeed. I see young artists all the time, and it discourages me so, but here's one thing you should consider; some young artists are so good for their age, that sometimes it doesn't even come off as a challenge to them anymore. So they quit. But obviously this doesn't apply to all young artists, just some.

Just realize that there will always be people who are better than you at something; young or old. Take this situation and use it to help you strengthen your determination. :D That's what I do when I see like, a thirteen year old draw like a pro. :)
:icontopaintarose:
ToPaintARose Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Don't worry this is very normal, everyone excels in different ways and starts at different times. You could be older but the younger artist may have had professional chances, practice more, or even be related to someone who is skilled. In the end you can't let it get you down, you have to look at their art and learn from it. Keep practicing and aim to get better than them even. Start talking to them and see how they become so good :)
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
WAHT ARE YOU TAHLKING ABOUHT?! [link]

You can work your butt off and become awesome. Will you?
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
so, what? you think that just because you've been drawing for three and a half years, you should be a master already?

get back to me in thirty years.
:iconaricania:
Aricania Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Aha I get what you mean, it's understandable though. But I guess the only thing that you can do is work harder and practice more. You'll get there some day! :)
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
it's very normal, a lot of artists feel the same way (including me) -___- i too have improved, but whenever i see a younger artist who's better than i am now or better than i was at their age, i think 'i should have been that good at that age.' but you just have to keep working and improving so that you can be better than those younger artists XD
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Age doesn't matter. It's amount of practice. The longer you practice, the better you are.

Someday I want to learn how to play the violin. Let's say I don't start until I'm thirty. I would have no reason to be jealous of teenagers who are better than I am because I would be just starting and they'd have been practicing since they were little kids.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
It's not a race!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
It's normal to feel that lots of people are better than you are.

But you shouldn't feel bad about it. Those people you think are good may think the same thing about you. Someone elses work always looks more impressive.

The thing is, you know what you wanted it to look like in your head, so you are comparing your art to an ideal version. Everyone else can only see what is THERE, so they aren't judging it like that.

Other people are exactly the same way.

You also have to remember that part of art is just experience. It's literally just time spent drawing. The longer someone has worked at drawing, the longer they have been improving their style.

You don't know how long they have been working, or what resources they have. So it's not fair for you to be judging yourself next to them.

Don't worry about it. When you see something you think is super good, learn how to do the part that you like about it and incorporate it into your own work.
:iconnoobartist87:
noobartist87 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
i sometimes feel like that a bit if im being honest, it may sound cliche but i turn that into fuel to improve myself. The're so many great artists out there and i know i could be one of them if a stay the course (which i find hard to do because i don't have a lot of spare time), end of the day enjoy your art above all else.
Add a Comment: