Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Concept art?

:icontaexhn:
Taexhn Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013   Digital Artist
I've had an interest in concept art since I was a little kid, and I've been practicing it as best I can but I feel like I'm missing something. I always feel like I take an overtly long time to do one design or I get too wrapped up in the details.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice, warmups, resources, practice ideas they'd be willing to share?

Hugs and thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfersteger2:
fersteger2 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Also just draw things around you that could easily become other things. Like draw your lamp or electronic equipment in your room, draw simple objects that have interesting shapes. Concept art is all about interesting shapes and forms, you'll see.
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
In concept art you have to be able to fully realize a project director's ideas in a visual format. Make sure you sketch a lot!

When drawing characters always make sure that you draw them in a way that they can be identified by their silhouette, draw them in different view points and poses, and draw them with their various facial expressions.

You should also be able to draw backgrounds and environments and how the characters react or interact to them.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
   Make lots of sketches.  Not just one or two every so often, but whenever you have the time to sit down with a pad of paper and a pencil.  I have a clipboard and trimmed sheets cut out of a sketchbook that I take on a courier job I'm working now, and make quick sketches during traffic stops (which become part of my sketchdump posts on DA).

It also helps to get a few good instruction books, as well as books containing photographs for reference.  I recommend the instruction books by comic artist Burne Hogarth, as well as the Pose File series put out for Japanese comic artists.  You can also search online for photograph references, if you don't feel like having the bookshelf space taken up.

Finally, there have been professional comicbook artists that will tell you to practice drawing all sorts of scenes, and not just generic character poses.  Take a walk out on the street or in the local park and observe how things look in real life, and make quick sketches of what you see.  Not just people, but also plants, animals, buildings, landscapes... anything you see.
Taexhn Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Digital Artist
That's awesome! I used to carry a sketchbook around with me everywhere, can't really remember why I stopped. Guess it's time to start that back up. I've found several sites that do timed figure poses, and draw them in a time limit you set, which I try and do every couple of days.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I'm seeing a lot of character type art, where you're just drawing a picture of a character (or part of a character) but I'm not seeing any sort of environments or pieces that are 'large'- ones that are showing a group of people and/or other critters/machines/etc interacting with a backdrop.

So step one is get away from the people. You need city scenes, you need machines, you need animals.

With the work you have, I'm seeing mostly portraits, and most of that is in a cartoon type style. If that's the industry you want to go into, that's fine.

If you want to work in animation you need to tweak your actual art, and create more varied scenes with your characters. Some storyboarding wouldn't be a bad idea. You also need to look into a course in animation and learn how to work with gravity and make your drawings flow correctly.

If you want to get into more serious concept art, stuff for games and movies, you're going to need to move in a more realistic direction.

The concept art for the soldier and bug isn't 'flashy' enough. When you are designing for a game (or a movie) you need the characters to be identifiable at a distance. That means that they need some BIG accessories that you can see.

You want to pick one theme for your person and play that up. If they are the meat shield, big huge bulky armor. Ballistics expert gets a HUUUUGE gun. Etc. That persons role should be obvious without having to look into it, at a glance you should be able to tell who is who.

Generally concept art for armor and the like is going to be drawn close to the natural body, without lots of bulk. You want to keep sleek lines.

You'll also need to move out of your comfort zone as far as coloring goes. The flat or cell shading kind of coloring isn't appropriate for game and movie concept art. You need to move closer to digital painting.
Taexhn Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Digital Artist
Thank you for the advice. I've never fully attempted an environment, mainly because I feel intimidated by the scope. But I'll take everything you said here and give it my best shot.
Add a Comment: