Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Drawing tablet users...

:iconquadren4:
quadren4 Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Let me just start off by saying, I love drawing on the computer via drawing tablet... but some times, when it comes to certain things, I wish could just look down at my tablet and just... well DRAW. I am no stranger to using the tablet (think I have been with it for a year now) but some times it just feels like work, drawing certain things. I am talking about drawing things like concepts or ideas; it just doesn't flow with me.
Really, the only reason I am drawing on computer is because coloring is in-expensive and good looking. If there was a way to color awesomely,and at a extremely cheap price, in real life (as in not digital) I would of switched moment I saw it.

Has anyone ever felt this way? what have you done to cope with it?
(just needed to vent a bit; trying to draw some armor concepts, but it just doesn't feel...right).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconofbugs:
The top dude is right. You can't treat a tablet like you would a pencil and paper. It's a totally different kind of media. It will never be like a pen and paper unfortunately. You just need to remember that you aren't using traditional media, you're using digital media and you just need to keep using it until your completely comfortable.

And if it's lineart that frustrates you, you can always pen out your drawings on paper, scan them and color them on your computer. Also, the cintiq is mentioned. It's a tablet where you can draw right on the screen... it's not easy switching from one tablet to the next, and the cintiq is still nothing like drawing on paper. It's still digital media. Here, this video can help describe a citiq better: [link]
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
for me, the biggest mistake I made was to treat my digital drawing like it was my paper drawing, working with lines and sketching like I do with pencil.
The problem is not actually the tablet, but the way the digital brushes react. The're NOT pencils, or inks, or fineliners or markers, and yet for those of us who draw traditionally we keep trying to make it work that way.

For years I struggled with drawing with my tablet, instead drew on paper scanned and coloured. However recently I began to rethink drawing digitally and have started drawing in a way you can only possibly draw digitally and it has made my digital art much more alive.

I actually start drawing straight away in colour, somewhat like this [link] (only wip shot I could find)

So instead of working with lines, I'm working with shapes and tones and colours to define my work. Either that or I start with strong boldmarks and work backwards and erase them into the shape I want instead of draw them so it does this [link] -> [link] which is not a trace of the original sketch but a cleaned up version. Keeping the life.

That is something I could not do traditionally, and for me, why make digital pretend to be traditional when you could just let digital be digital.
:iconpianocanival:
Pianocanival Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I know exactly the feeling. That's why I'm saving money to buy a Cintiq :mwahaha:
quadren4 Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You mean this thing [link] ಠ_ಠ That stuff cost truck loads of money. I think it's more of something that only professionals use (because they would be gaining more money if they buy it, thus, paying it off).
:iconpianocanival:
Pianocanival Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yes ... it is expensive.. indeed!

Alternatively I will wait until the prize of Ipads and WiiU-s drop and be able to buy one of them. You can actually paint with a NDS, but the screen is WAY TOO SMALL.
:iconangelsdead:
AngelsDead Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Idk, in the beginning I wanted such kind of tablet, but am I so used at drawing this way that I just don't want to change (:
:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Do you have an ipad?

ipad+sketchbook pro+ pressure sensitivity stylus =awesomeness.
:iconmicroscopicdaily:
as far as I know iPad is not pressure sensitive screen
So do you mean you use stylus like Bamboo Stylus feel (new one that works on capactive screen like iPad one) ?

I thought I couldn't use ipad for drawing but youtube video has proven that beyond wrong

What stylus do you use for drawing????
quadren4 Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sadly, no ipad here :c
:iconaimforhorror:
AIMforHorror Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been using a drawing tablet for four years now and have had three different tablets (all by Wacom though) and I can concur nothing beats the good ol' pencil and paper along with other traditional materials.

However, perhaps a great way to cope with it might be to sketch out thumbnails in real life to get your ideas out, and then try to duplicate it on the computer, rather than do everything at once right there on the screen. There is also sketching out what you want, such as armour, and then taking a picture of it with your phone (or a scanner, if you have that), and using the computer to color it.

(I'm sorry if I'm rabbling too much - perhaps I got off topic.)
Add a Comment: