Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 98

Drawing New Years Resolutions anyone?

:iconmayjackson:
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Wondering if anyone else made drawing/painting/artisitc-improvement resolutions ^.^

I'd love to hear them! And how likely you think it is that you'll meet them - and your plan to achieve that!

Just curious ^.^

"I don't make resolutions"/"I set new goals for myself all year round" is probably not appropriate to this thread... just a friendly fyi! It's fine if you don't or want to set goals currently (that's actually great!) but that's not interesting to hear about xD

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
To draw more frequently, a new drawing or sketch every week or two.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
That's great :D And sound manageable. Best of luck!!
:iconlilmissann:
lilmissann Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you!
:iconfinkgraphics:
finkgraphics Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I made a new years resolution to draw a picture every day in hopes that it will improve my skill. 365 drawings. It has only been like 18 days and I can already see that it is going to be a challenge.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Yeah! But you can do it :) If I can offer a bit of advice, it REALLY helps to allow that number to be an average - that way you haven't 'ruined' it if you miss a day :) Or even a week for that matter. It allows you to catch up on weekends and stuff if you need to! But do whatever you think will work for you ^.^
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Keeping up with my sketchdump project, in order to see my improvement in a clear way.
And ofcourse... improving!
Good for you ^.^ Sketchdump project - is that like a minimum number of sketches that you have yourself complete in a time frame? Or is that just making sure you upload everything you draw? Pretty gallery, btw :) Your progress is coming along nicely!
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I force myself to make at least of sketches every month and upload them :)
By comparing progress every month, it's easier to see improvement
That's a good idea :) What do you do to improve, if you don't mind me asking? Do you study from photographs mostly, or references like posemaniacs? Or do you just keep drawing? Or learn from tutorials here on DA?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... first of all... I'm pretty limited in drawing time. I have a physical disability which causes this. So when I practice, the most important thing for me, is that I maintain fun in drawing. I do this by drawing stuff purely for myself (so no requests and fanart). I don't have subjects that I really force myself to draw. I tend to combine things I like with things I want to learn.

The things I like to draw are mainly character and settings from the story I write. But this is a very wide settings, so it includes a lot. When I want to practice the male figure (or anatomy, in general) I use one of my male characters to do so. Same goes for female characters and surroundings. I do look at a lot of references to get the poses right, but I just give it my own twist. By doing so, I hope to get closer to the original character designs eventually. The ones that are in my head. And when doing so, I hope to become awfully good at drawing :D
:iconsubashseo:
subashseo Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Expect to feel discomfort. You may feel confused, awkward, or anxious. Studies show that on average that changing habits requires at least two months of vigilant monitoring, and they still sneak up on you.seo services
Interesting! :D That makes sense.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Getting better at art, challenging areas (especially painting, colour theory) I'm lacking in etc are normal artistic goals I usually set for myself. My resolution is to instead stop drawing for other people or making fan art and get down my own original concepts and characters since I'm getting to the point of being comic ready. Last I counted I have about 50 characters but I know there's more, and I think I've only drawn one of them ever.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Haha that's funny that you say that, because the last few days I've been thinking that I need to do some more fan art for artists that I like or for people who will appreciate it xD But goodness - yes, give your own characters some attention too!!
Your gallery is neat, especially love the pic that your avvie came from - keep up the great work :)
:iconjakkrobbit:
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
Strive for greater improvement. I compared my drawings from January and December of last year and while I saw improvement, it wasn't enough growth for my taste. So I decided that this year I'm going practice and experiment more often, and hopefully push my style further in the process. I've been getting more inspiration from Western cartoons since '11 and I like where my style's heading, but I guess my work is still a little too animu (not that I dislike anime, I just don't want my drawings too look generic). The other day someone called one of my drawings "kawaii," so I'm thinking I need to experiment with Western cartoons way more, lol. XD
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Aw xD I don't think your art looks anime-styled, but it's always good to try new styles/techniques :) Awesome goal - great luck with it! ^.^
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Haha, thank you! Different people say different things about my drawings (sometimes it's anime, sometimes it's cartoon, sometimes it's fashion design). I think the kawaii comment just threw me for a loop. XD
I'm sure some people will say that because they associate that word with themselves and their perception of the word 'cute,' not the style of art :) It directly translates to 'cute,' after all :)
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Hmm, you're right. Any time I saw comments using the word, they were directed at cutesy anime. So, I'd always associated the word with that style. I hadn't considered the fact that people might just use it to describe anything cute (well, anyone not speaking Japanese). I actually feel a lot better now. I'm not giving up on my new years resolution or anything, but I'm glad I brought that up. I'm not freaking anymore, lol.
:icontylon:
Tylon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Artist
I have a list with about 13-15 things on it. So far in the little time I was able to cross off already 3 things! My goals are not for art in the light of traditional/ drawing- but more so for my crafts.

I started an online store and a small business which is extremely exciting and nerve wracking- but can also be very rewarding. I am booked already for wall/winter for some local craft shows because the people were so impressed by me apparently (and I was representing other companies with my work on the side or just supporting my family at the events) which really just made me sit back and feel beyond excited that I might have something here. I am also working on revising my craft site to make it more fun and professional. Since the new year I have had probably 12 people already contact me for custom orders and work- and it is really exciting me in a way for me to work towards my own personal goals. I am also networking with more and more local businesses and people of all trades. So for me these are all linked to my art. I am also working on my organizational skills and workflow as well as emphasizing my trait on quality control for my products and items. I will also be working with new mediums this year- polymer clay and ceramics to start. I am also hoping to add acrylic painting to that list as well.

So those are some of my art related goals. I'm very excited for this to be happening- but I also have some larger goals I need to really take care of (I need a full time job badly and I would like to make enough money to be able to buy a car)- so those two will be the more difficult goals to achieve. Either way I'm trying for it! For the time being if nothing pans out or works I have my small business I can work on. Who knows where it can lead.

How about you? Did you set any artistic resolutions?
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Wow, that's all very ambitious and exciting :D Good luck with your business! And I think you'll have fun with the polymer clay (I know I do ^.^). Gosh your plushies are too cute - took a glance. I think your business will do well :) And good luck trying to find a job - I know it's hard these days!

I did set some artistic resolutions ^.^ Thanks for asking! I'm trying to get myself to draw a minimum of 30 min a day for just 3 days a week, but pushing for 4-5 times a week if possible. I know it doesn't sound too ambitious but it's do-able, and I really feel like, at this point in my art, I just need to put more *time* into practice. So far it's been going great ^.^
:icontylon:
Tylon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Artist
Thank you very much! It is a big change from my usual but I am very excited about the possibilities. I just took a peek at your gallery and your clay work is INCREDIBLE! I always wanted to learn how to do different things and after seeing a lot of beautiful creations from clay- It really inspired me to try it out.

I think your resolutions sounds really great. Just make sure you don't force yourself too much- I used to try all these goals of drawing and I ended up getting burnt out really fast if I forced it trying to keep my goals so strong. What I often do is I have my little Moleskine notebook and I will doodle and draw up ideas for this and that without even realizing that I am drawing now. If you are looking ever for references (like for poses for characters and what not) - posemaniacs.com is a great website for references. I used to get so many ideas looking at the different poses on there. Or you can also break it up- like if I feel like I'm starting to get burnt out I will work with something else then go back. If it happens you could always say- make something out of clay then go back to drawing. Or draw something then make the item out of clay. Ah I think too much. Either way- great goals; I'm sure that with the positive outlook you have all the motivation you need to succeed in your resolutions!
That's great advice :) That's actually what I'm trying to do by allowing myself to drop down to a minimum of 3 sessions a week - out of a 7 day week, that seems pretty lenient xD And I'm allowing myself to do averages, so if I have a bad week but everything averages out over the course of several weeks, it's all good ^.^ And yeah, I LOVE posemaniacs! I also own more how-to-draw books than anyone I know xD So yeah, lots of material!

Thanks for the compliments on my clay work and the favs ^.^ I can give you pointers if you have trouble starting, but honestly I learned a lot of the techniques I know from casually reading polymer clay tutorials here on deviantart! Probably the singly most important thing I realized, though, was that you can bake the clay multiple times (you just underbake a every time so it doesn't get crusty) - that allows you to mold on top of a hard surface :) That'll make more sense when you get sculpting!
Good luck ^.^
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Oh heck yah I've made some. Need to get my comic-book going (I've only just started) and keep working on my realistic portraits. I've been on a roll and have to keep at it! =)
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Awesome :) Go for it! Good luck.
:iconmy-drawing-tutorials:
My-Drawing-Tutorials Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
My resolution is to learn how to construct compositions in my drawings (with many subjects) so that it sucks in the viewers. I've been practicing it a lot so I think I will achieve it.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Oh, yeah, that's hard to do!! I'm going to be trying to do more of that with just 2 people xD Having more than 1 person in overlapping space is more difficult than you'd think... and the perspective can be so challenging!
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
I don't make New Years Resolutions. They make themselves. 8-)

But seriously; they do!
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Haha funny xD
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks. :XD:
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
I made a promise to myself to sketch every single day. Even if it's just a doodle for 15 minutes before sleep...
Now this hasn't started on New Years day but a few weeks before, but I made a formal promise there won't be a single day without drawing this year.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Aw, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out! Maybe you can change it to averaging 1 sketch a day, so you can still pursue it?
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
Um, where did I say it hasn't worked out? :lol:
Oh, I thought you said that you didn't start on New Year's day xD The sentence structure confused me, (the phrase 'but a few weeks before' can be attached to either making the formal promise or 'this hasn't started on New Years day, and I always start thinking about my resolutions early so I went with 'made a formal promise', ie set resolutions) but re-reading it I see that you meant that you started earlier! Great job!
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah, that's what I meant :D
Actually first I started drawing daily because I'm a part of "The Sketchbook Project" and have to send my sketchbook in my January 15, so I figured hey, I might as well continue doing this all year long...
Wow, I just had to look that up - I'd never heard of it ^.^ Looks interesting.
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yeah, it does :) I wonder how many people will flip through it while it's on the tour.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
   I never make resolutions on New Years Day, but make them more or less frequently depending on the situation.  The current one is to create a sort of portfolio of documents and artwork relating to a webcomic idea I may be pursuing in my spare time.  While doing all that, I will continue my regular sketching and work on my art skills in areas which need improvement.  Finally, I've resolved to upload to my DA gallery at least once monthly.
MayJackson Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
That's all great :D Maybe I should adjust my current (unwritten) goal of 1 deviation per week to month... it seems more reasonable! And achievable.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
   If you're like me and working a full time job while keeping up the art as a hobby, it is.  If you're considering art as a career, it also gives you more time for the practice that's needed to perfect your skills and learn new ones needed for the eventual leap into professional work.
Full time school, and no, art is not my intended career path ^.^ So yeah, similar boat.
:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My resolution was to improve my art and work to achieve a certain style(like a realistic cartoon or something like it). I'm also working on unlearning everything I thought I knew and relearn things the proper way. (Like, starting with drawing real people and not manga people. xD)
Sweet :D Looks to me like you're cultivating a fairly realistic style already! Good luck ^.^
:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconhappytardplz: Good! Fairly realistic is how I want it! And thanks!
:iconinnocentfate:
Innocentfate Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:damphyr: My resolution is improving my variety art style and umm..... get the whole contest entries done before the deadline!

And also to try new stuff as well such as water coloring and airbrushing.
That sounds awesome :D I want to try more cartooning-style drawing this year myself. It's fun to try different things! Best of luck!!
:iconinnocentfate:
Innocentfate Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:damphyr: I know right :D But it takes long years of work though ^ ^
Yeah, but hopefully in the end the effort is all worth it ^.^
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I started doing anatomy studies. I've been long over due.
That's great :D Any concrete rules like how often you're doing them? (the studies) Or just trying to do them 'more'?
Add a Comment: