Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Help with making outfits for original characters?

:iconxrooke:
xRooke Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm new here, and I was wondering how I would make a unique outfit for a character that I created completely on my own. What makes an ensemble unique and worthy of being remembered? I need quirky details that'd be good things to include in a character design. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I like to browse fashion magazines and art sites for clothes I like. That and things like military catalogs.

Most clothes have the same basic shape, the difference comes in little details like seams and stuff. So you need to look a those in particular and work on putting them in.

Little tools and stuff, too.

Just remember that whatever you decide on, you're going to have to draw constantly. So don't do stuff you aren't prepared to keep making.
xRooke Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well now since I'm older it is a lot easier to draw consistently without much of the pressure. ^^ And I actually never thought of looking in military catalogs, that is a rather amazing idea! Thank you! ^^
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
TBH it all comes down to forgetting about being 'unique' and 'original' and forgetting what YOU want to wear and thinking about the character as a human being.

Who are they? If they walked into a fashion store/tailors/armourers (whatever setting you have) what would they pick to wear. Or do they make their own clothes in which case they look a little DIY? or are they a Thrift store shopper who wears whatever they find?
Do they care about how fashionable they look? (whatever fashion they aspire to, Vogue, Goth, Punk etc)
Do they want to look sexy or sexually appealing?
Do they just not give a damn?
What's their job/role in your story? Ie It's rare to find a lady who would spend hours doing her hair and make up just go out and mess it all up again because they're a fighter or a racer or something. (but not impossible of course) They might even have a uniform style outfit as they might be militaristic in nature or even a store worker or coffee shop person.

Also watch DVD Extras about costume, the designers tell you why they chose certain things and you can learn from them. Such as Aragorn in LOTR might look scruffy but they put fancy embroidery on his shirt before aging it, to make it look like it was once a rich garment but now it's worn in, which describes who he is down to a T.

In the end a good story and solid characters with costumes that make sense will be more 'memorable' than a set of costumes that make no sense at all. Even Princesses don't wear ballgowns all the time. The Webcomic Questionable Content has everyone dressed in Jeans and T shirts most of the time, but yet it's a great memorable work for other reasons.
Thank you. :) I ended up going simple for a girl with a simple personality, and weird clothes for a weird guy. If that makes sense. With the hair, is it better to keep a consistent hairstyle or change it up, do you think?
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
tbh it comes down to what you fancy and again, down to the character. In my comic some characters change from having tied up to down hair and some change outfits a lot and some stay the same, I hope that they're idetifiable enough as people to not confuse people with things change, ie same body type and face shape. This is more difficult if you use a similar face shape and eye/nose/mouth combo on all characters.
So differentiate between characters without using clothes, more like personal features?
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
Think about your friends and family. If they were all bald and wearing the same clothes you'd still be able to recognise your mother from your friend due to unique facial features and body types. Drawn characters should be the same :)
xRooke Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Great way to put it! :D Thank you. ^^
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student General Artist
This is really concept art in a nut shell. There is alot that goes into character design that movies, video games, comics, or anything that contains characters.

But are you asking drawing or designing?

In any case, tips are think about the time, place, weight, sillohuet, and its function.
xRooke Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Drawing. :) I just want to draw one complete character for once. I've been drawing for 7 years off and on (as a minor hobby) and I've never made a full character outfit that I was proud of.
Add a Comment: