Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

What are the best scanners to use to scan colored pencil artwork?

:iconcolormymemory:
ColorMyMemory Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I figure to ask here to have a bit of varied answers, I've been wondering if there's a certain brand or model that is considered better to use for good quality scans of colored pencil artworks. I may look into purchasing a new scanner, when sufficient funds are available for me to do so, so I figure to ask in the mean time.

Problems I've had with the scanner(s) I've used:
- Grainy appearance.
- Loss of color intensity.
- Glare. (at times.)
- Faded overall.

I'm open to some methods of fixing said problems, if you have suggestions for that instead of scanner brands or models. I'm relatively familiar with altering scanned artworks via Photoshop to use the blur + opacity, multiply, contrast or brightness (the option I go to most for this issue) editing to aid in the artwork's look.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmrcooldd:
MrCoolDD Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I just use the scanner built into my mom's printer.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I have a kind of old Canon LIDE60 and I would not try to claim there's some fix-all for these problems, as I experience them myself and honestly the worst part is when you try to prevent one or two of these problems, it causes the other two. The grainy thing is usually caused by using the autotone and sometimes some other auto settings do that. Not that shutting it off will solve world hunger, because once you turn off the auto it might just fade out and you then have to go readjusts a bunch of other things. I have one graphite drawing and it washed out because one specific part of it is black and the rest is not-black, causing the scanner to overexpose the whole picture. I tried without auto, and it worked, but is very faded. I could never get it to contrast properly. I felt too much photoshop was just cheating. You just can't win with these things. I don't think the scanner model has anyhting to do with it unless it was a really cheap or 2nd hand scanner. HP, Canon, Epson, those are the best brands.. as long as it's less than 5 years old the only cure is to just fiddle with the settings and scan and rescan.
Indeed. A lot of the time it's like going in circles when I try to alter the scanned art on any program for editing.
:iconant1-her0-project:
Ant1-Her0-Project Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I also say camera with the most natural light you can get.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to give that a shot, after I get a hold of a new camera (the one I used prior is no longer available for my use.)
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Somebody might know better. But in my experience scanners really suck when it comes to pencils.

I have gotten way better results by waiting for a nice day, laying traditional art on the floor outside in bright daylight and taking a photo. Even with a poopy camera phone it looks a 100 times better than on three different scanners after trying every option available.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try using a camera again (I used to for larger pieces beforehand) when I can get a hold of one. I'd try my phone, but it's very outdated and doesn't hold up well for photos.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No problem.

Seriously though, from my experience pencil is slightly reflective and scanners use bright lights at close range. Whatever you do that combination always seems to result in a certain amount of detail being lost well before the stage where superior hardware or software processing can make a difference.

But like I say - somebody might know better and they are more than welcome to wade in with more detailed information!
Yeah, pretty much. I've tried having a sheet of paper in between the scanner and the artwork, but that makes the color fade more, hehe.
Mhmm.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I kind of want to say 'a camera'. Maybe someone else will correct me.
Add a Comment: