Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

How should my art portfolio be like for an internship with Marvel

:iconemark4:
emark4 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Hi, i am new to deviantart and I am making thinking of applying for an internship at marvel and I am thinking of portfolio ideas right now. What portfolio ideas can you suggest for a marvel internship or for starting out?

Also, Should I have a diverse portfolio? The website says that applicants must demonstrate ability to work with certain programs like illustrator, photoshop, and Microsoft word depending on the position applied for. Here is the link:

[link]

Thanks guys, looking forward to post my art here soon!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Here's a video of a portfolio review for Marvel that may help: [link]
:iconrayaroja:
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Make sure your portfolio is filled with Panel-to-panel artwork, the editors would rather have an artist who can properly tell a story rather than simple pin ups. Just a suggestion
emark4 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Can you clarify some more with the panel-to-panel artwork vs simple pin ups?
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
panel-to-panel is another term for sequential art or comic pages, when applying to a comic publisher the editors want artists who can tell a sequential story from panel to panel.

However, they do want artists who can draw a good pinup, if you're gonna include those in your portfolio make sure sequential pages outnumber the pinups. 'Kay?
emark4 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
So if I were to provide work that shows concept art of illustrated weapons and characters fron adobe illustrator/ inkscape, it would be sequential and panel to panel right?

And pin ups would be just various works that include projects done for school right? They vary from making a logo and a car on Illustartor, a magazine in InDesign, and a poster from photoshop.

Also the reason I thought they may accept a variety of work (or pinups) as opposes to sequential portfolio because the descriptions on that link say I should demonstrate experience in adobe ilustrator, photoshop, and InDesign. To me doing sequential art seems to contradict this because I would be using one art style only. Furthermore, I read that if I am just starting out, a student portfolio should have a wide range of art works in different styles.
Rayaroja Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
You just described anything but sequential art... if you want to work as an artist for an animation or game studio then do that.

Yes, pin ups are basically pieces like a poster or portrait,

You can still use any of those programs to do sequential art, the editors will like you if you can show them that you can tell a story visually. I'm speaking in a very general sense, mind you.
:iconwilwhalen:
WilWhalen Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Sounds like your art isn't really going to be an issue - the job descriptions sound like a lot of paperwork, a bit of layout work, and handling of other people's artwork. Admittedly I didn't read them all, but the ones I did led me to believe that this is more of an office job where you will have to occasionally use indesign, not an art internship, per say.

As far as a portfolio for starting out, well, that's a whole ordeal nowadays. I honestly don't know if there's a straightforward way into the industry anymore. None of the big companies take open submissions anymore, aside from the DC talent search. Your best bet for a portfolio is lots of sequential pages. Lots and lots and lots. That's the easiest way to separate yourself from a lot of potential applicants with portfolios full of pinups.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Well, it depends what position you're applying for, and without seeing your art it's hard to form any opinions and advice to give you. 
Add a Comment: