Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

3DS Art Academy game: How to use the grid in real life?

:iconclarissafrn:
clarissafrn Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I got the 3DS Art Academy game this Christmas. I enjoy using it and it's real neat, the tips and stuff. I wanna start using those tips to use in my real paintings and drawings. So, what about the grid?

In the game, he holds a grid up to the subject (fruit or a tree) and a grid appears over the drawing/painting. A grid can probably be easily made to hold up to the subject, but what about the painting/drawing? I've draw the grid sometimes, but I end up with the mark of it still there even after erasing, esp on a canvas. So, how do I deal with that part?

Basically, my question is: How do you use a grid on your actual drawing or painting without ruining the actual drawing or painting?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Make the grid very light.
I guess I could try that on drawings (I've never yet really tried using a grid on a drawing yet), but even a light mark on a canvas stays. At least for me :shrug:
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Oh, you're trying to use a grid on canvas... yeah, that's not going to erase easily. If you're using an opaque medium like acrylics, it doesn't matter so much. I paint over pencil lines on occasion. But if you're using a transparent medium on canvas you probably want to do your drawing on paper and then transfer it to canvas using a projector, carbon paper, etc.
Oh yea, that makes sense. Thanks! :)
:iconbleachrocks2010:
bleachrocks2010 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I dont use a grid I just draw so I cant be of any help sorry there. Although you could just imagine the grid dont know if it will work.
I was just trying out what you said about trying to imagine a grid. Right now, I'm using it on a photo reference so idk how it'll work while trying to draw something from what you see. Anyway, yea it's working so far. :) I didn't think it'd work! haha
XD Neither did I but it fails then go back to drawing them or something I dont know
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Imagining the grid would be difficult and very unreliable.

To OP: If you're really still seeing marks and there is no way to get rid of them. Well, try to tape some tracing paper on top of your canvas with a grid drawn over it. Then just flip it back and forth when you are in need of it. Although, this is pretty frusturating, if you're relying on the grid too much.

Besides using the grid you can try to use other duplicating techniques like sight measuring. Basically you extend your hand with a ruler or your fingers and go back and forth. Here's a good read on how to do it - [link]

That's all I can come up with right now, hope you will find this useful in any way.
Using the tracing paper does seem a bit frustrating but I'll give it a try sometime :3

And I definately have heard of sight measuring but never really paid attention to how I should do it so thanks for the link! I'll have to give that a try as well :D

Also, I was thinking of finding a way to use a light under the paper. My dad has this big squre light that was used for looking at x-rays. I might be able to use that to see through the paper and under the paper I would put a grid so I could see the grid through the paper. It's, again, something I'll try sometime.

Thanks for the tips!
Ah true its just I have never used a grid in art before.
Add a Comment: