Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

what makes a good OC?

:iconsilentkidde:
SilentKidde Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Filmographer
I. Want to know what's makes a good oc. What about their personality?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Wouldn't that depend on the purpuose of the character? Is it even a character created for a story? Is it the main character, a support character? A character is a tool, you use it to tell a story, make a point, convey and emotion and a whole lot of other things. It is what you do with the character that matters not the character itself. Or perhaps I just misunderstood this whole OC thing?
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Realness and well researched.

Interesting, ability to relate to or aspire towards.

Relevancy to the story. A character is only a plot device when you get down to it.

As Narutokunobsessed said a lot of stories can have bland boring character but if the story is plot driven. There are three types of stories. Stories about people, stories about places, and stories about events. Macbeth is about a person. Harry Potter is about a place. The book of Matthew is about an event. A character is only as good as they are useful to the story.
:icondewolfie:
DeWolfie Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Forget names and sad backgrounds(Which in many cases could be the plot of a good comic), or over-powered abilites, a good character is someone we can relate to, who are just like you and me, have our doubts, our strenghts and weakneses, do fail sometimes and win. You don't call it a "main-character" for no reason.
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
A character that's REAL.

A character should have faults but not glamorous ones. A character shouldn't get everything they want, or be the chosen one, or get the guy/girl without reason. The character should have a story.

The story should tie in with the character's appearance. I can't imagine a poor orphaned girl in the 1800's to have pink hair.

The character should have a personality, that makes sense but is still entertainment.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
A good story. I find OCs by themselves quite boring (unless the art is good, but then it's more the art than the character themself)
K
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A character that has balanced traits, both good and bad. The personality reflects the kind of character they are and is shaped by their environment (or genetic factors), much like people and other creatures. :shrug:
Okay I think I get it. Thanx
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Think about how your favorite characters are. People like a character that they can sort of relate to, or has traits they find appealing. :nod:
Connect them to life right?
Add a Comment: