Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Price my art, please?

:iconnoxxi-a:
Noxxi-a Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I was just thinking about doing more commissions but instead of being thinking I know everything or being on a high horse about my art, I'd ask others how much they'd a pay in points for it.

And also, I'm not sure about doing commissions in exchange for money, I'm not sure how the exchange would go so if someone could explain that to me, if that's not too much trouble. c:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Filmographer
on DA, i can't sell shit, even if i price it at single digit amount of points.

irl, i'm selling a drawing to a former teacher of mine for $50.
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
100 points is how much I'd pay. It's not a lot considering 80pt=1USD but if all you want is to make some points and spent it on things like badges and a subscription then it's enough. Another option is to let your customers set the price.
Noxxi-a Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah, I've suggested that option of letting customers name their own price. And I can understand 100 points since it'll just be a hobby until I get better and can charge more. Also, what do badges do? And a subscription is what I would like, actually. c:

Thanks for your input!
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do think that doing cheapish commissions is good because you can improve while you're doing them, especially when doing commissions forces you to draw some new things depending on what they want ^^ badges are quite useless and just get shown on your profile, I think they're not as popular as they used to be though.
Mhmm, I think having to draw new things is the fun part about doing commissions along with the added improvement that comes along with it.
Lol, oh, well, if they're useless then I guess I won't think too much of them, then.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
DA is definitely not the place to sell your art or charge for commissions, unless you're a famous/amazing artist that is.
Like Gyr633 said, a better place to start would be in real life. Get your work into cafes and art competitions, telephone poles, pass it out to your friends, ANYwhere. Try to display it somewhere in the real world where people can see it. The internet is just too saturated now. In 6 years of painting I've sold a grand total of 1 painting online (and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying). However I've sold about 30 paintings through traditional means.
However first I think you need to work on improving your abilities. You have passion which is the most important thing. Keep practicing (I mean draw every single day) and you'll get better.
Good luck!
I understand and thanks for your words. c:
I'll have alot of time for practice since my winter break won't be over for another months. xD
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I don't know in what world you're living, but your art isn't good enough to sell. This shouldn't even be a harsh statement to you. You should know that already.
What shouldn't be a harsh statement? And I should know what already.
I never said I was a artistical genius or a complete professional but I know I'm not terrible.

And I do know what world I live in and it's not like I'm asking for a fortune for my work nor am I trying to really do this for a living, just a hobby for people who'd want it. I know I'm not good in the professional world, but I'm not THAT bad.
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
You should know that your art isn't good enough to sell. It doesn't matter if your art isn't "THAT BAD." The key point that it isn't good. Not good enough to sell at least.(Although some of the pure line drawing were good.)

Work on it, you don't have to be an artistical genius, even the masters were very bad when they started. Take it or leave it, I'm not stopping you from selling your art. You can always try, but there's lots of room for improvement.
Okay, I agree with the last paragraph and yeah, I'm still improving which is why I was only going to try to do it as a hobby so I'm not expecting any professional's to be going out of their way to commission me, ya know? I just wanted to get the general idea of if my stuff will sell AT ALL and thanks, I'm glad you liked some of my stuff, I know my stuff isn't of really high quality but as long as it's not TOO bad, I'm happy with my progress.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
For cash commissions, unless you wait for DA's commission prototype (which will take I believe 10% royalty fee), that's something you agree on privately with someone else, the usual method of payment being paypal, but again it's a private agreement and can go however the parties agree on. Protip: get paid before you do the work, otherwise, you'll never get paid.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than a few dollars for anything you have, and even then, I'd only do that if you also happened to be a friend and it would be more to throw you a bone rather than actually wanting any of your work. Harsh, but that's honestly what I feel, it's not really good enough to be selling seriously.
:icongyr633:
Gyr633 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
DA is a really difficult place to get commissions because of the fact that people are willing to undersell themselves SO LOW. People charge only a couple points(which is like nothing) for art over in the projects forum....Which makes it entirely impossible to compete.

If you want to do things to make it worth your while, though, what I do is essentially charge minimum wage plus the cost of materials and shipping. Seems fair, right?
Not everybody thinks so, which is another reason why DA is a terrible place to try and get commissions. I charge as much as I would be getting if I were working at a low pay establishment, doing just as much work, and considering I don't get alot of commissions, my prices are fair to say the least. If I had to live off of my art, I would be starving and living on the streets by now, because of peoples' unrealistically low expectations as far as pricing goes.
I've been looking around at old forums who were asking the same questions as me and I had no idea about the points to money conversion, I feel bad the few commissions I did do for people because they were nowhere near 80 points...

And I can definitely see why DA is a bad place to seek commissions but do you know a better place, perhaps? And I've reading about paypal, too, is it safe to use? And if i were to price my work based on effort and time to completion, I'd be over 20 bucks, way over and I believe thats fair in my opinion considering anyone can see the effort I put into my pieces. Thanks for your comment, by the way!
You're welcome ^___^

I'm not really sure about where else to look for commissions, myself, and I know this probably doesn't help much, but the best place I have found yet is real life....More people have come up to me in real life than anywhere else. It used to be somewhat easy to get commissions on LiveJournal, but that place seems dead.
I guess it depends on what market you are looking at...For paintings, I would suggest galleries, for comic art and anime, I suggest conventions, but I would only get a table at one if I were completely convinced that I could sell alot there, because tables and a business liscence and everything else you will need to pay for at/for a convention can really add up.
If you are into furry art, try furtopia or furaffinity. When I drew that sort of thing, it seemed fairly easy to get commissions at places like that.
I guess you just have to know your audience, and cater to them...

You could try etsy, but I don't know how that would work. I have concidered selling my art there, but I wasn't sure if anyone would buy it because it isn't really an art site....
I see. Well this is difficult. :c
I could always advertise at my college or something but i'm not sure how that would really work, lol. And i have a slight idea of what my style is and the audience I want to cater to, I guess, semi-realism/anime, not completely sure.

As for a table at conventions, I thought about doing that but I didn't know all the money and time that goes into it and I'm nowhere near ready for that. I could try to research places for commission and continue to try and get commissions on DA, too.
Ya, it's tough...I'm still trying to figure out where to sell my art, and it's not easy :/

I don't want to conform to drawing a specific style or theme because I know I can get commissioned that way, which really sucks. Ah well. I wish you luck!
Thank you! I hope I can find something that gets my art out there.
I found a really good portfolio website that I like, I just have to make more art to show. ^_^

I wish you luck, too~
Thank you :D
:iconyettyen:
Yettyen Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It has not much to do with sitting on a high horse, if you make prices you are satisfied with.
80:points: are one USD
You have to think about what your art and time is worth to yourself and what media you use, for traditional art I would also consider your material costs.

Many low-skill artists offer commissions for a few points, to sell at least some...but like that, people bear no relation to points and money. They think " wtf, 800 points?!" but i'ts only 10USD converted in € it's even less....

You have to see what you are willing to take for your time you spend....
I see what you mean, but I'm always wondering if I might end up charging too much or not so I posted asking for others to price my work just to get an idea of what's not too much but I know what is too low a price, though.

Hmm, I'd mostly be doing digital work which takes me 2-3 days at the most when just doing art for myself. Maybe I should just do an estimate with people who want to commission me instead of having set prices right off the bat so i can get a feel for being on a deadline when doing art for others. Am I making sense, at all?
Noxxi-a Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Shoot, I should really proofread before I post.....I'm sorry about the mistakes, I wish there was an edit button, though.
Add a Comment: