Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Price my art, please?

:iconnoxxi-a:
Noxxi-a Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I was just thinking about doing more commissions but instead of being thinking I know everything or being on a high horse about my art, I'd ask others how much they'd a pay in points for it.

And also, I'm not sure about doing commissions in exchange for money, I'm not sure how the exchange would go so if someone could explain that to me, if that's not too much trouble. c:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Filmographer
on DA, i can't sell shit, even if i price it at single digit amount of points.

irl, i'm selling a drawing to a former teacher of mine for $50.
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
100 points is how much I'd pay. It's not a lot considering 80pt=1USD but if all you want is to make some points and spent it on things like badges and a subscription then it's enough. Another option is to let your customers set the price.
Noxxi-a Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah, I've suggested that option of letting customers name their own price. And I can understand 100 points since it'll just be a hobby until I get better and can charge more. Also, what do badges do? And a subscription is what I would like, actually. c:

Thanks for your input!
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do think that doing cheapish commissions is good because you can improve while you're doing them, especially when doing commissions forces you to draw some new things depending on what they want ^^ badges are quite useless and just get shown on your profile, I think they're not as popular as they used to be though.
Mhmm, I think having to draw new things is the fun part about doing commissions along with the added improvement that comes along with it.
Lol, oh, well, if they're useless then I guess I won't think too much of them, then.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
DA is definitely not the place to sell your art or charge for commissions, unless you're a famous/amazing artist that is.
Like Gyr633 said, a better place to start would be in real life. Get your work into cafes and art competitions, telephone poles, pass it out to your friends, ANYwhere. Try to display it somewhere in the real world where people can see it. The internet is just too saturated now. In 6 years of painting I've sold a grand total of 1 painting online (and believe me it wasn't for lack of trying). However I've sold about 30 paintings through traditional means.
However first I think you need to work on improving your abilities. You have passion which is the most important thing. Keep practicing (I mean draw every single day) and you'll get better.
Good luck!
I understand and thanks for your words. c:
I'll have alot of time for practice since my winter break won't be over for another months. xD
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I don't know in what world you're living, but your art isn't good enough to sell. This shouldn't even be a harsh statement to you. You should know that already.
What shouldn't be a harsh statement? And I should know what already.
I never said I was a artistical genius or a complete professional but I know I'm not terrible.

And I do know what world I live in and it's not like I'm asking for a fortune for my work nor am I trying to really do this for a living, just a hobby for people who'd want it. I know I'm not good in the professional world, but I'm not THAT bad.
:icongagglygoo:
gagglygoo Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
You should know that your art isn't good enough to sell. It doesn't matter if your art isn't "THAT BAD." The key point that it isn't good. Not good enough to sell at least.(Although some of the pure line drawing were good.)

Work on it, you don't have to be an artistical genius, even the masters were very bad when they started. Take it or leave it, I'm not stopping you from selling your art. You can always try, but there's lots of room for improvement.
Add a Comment: