Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Any tips on how to be more creative?

:iconfirewario:
FireWario Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I wanna know some tips and tricks to help me be more creative/inventive with OC's, backgrounds, fanarts etc. I mean with me, the passion and potential to create a character or go all out on a background takes its own sweet time to unveil itself to me, but I want to know how I can free-hand more on a regular basis. What do you do so you can create characters and scenaries occasionally or on a regular routine?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Traditional Artist
stop being uncreative. and stop making OCs.
:iconmack127:
Mack127 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Find out what you really really love or things you think are beautiful or cool. Like things in real life. Just look for things you normally would ignore. When you get a bit of inspiration foster it and channel it to your art. Also breaking up your daily routine and just doing something different! Exercise really helps me to feel inspired.
FireWario Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I love dragons, want to travel, and meet new people. So, should I notice things like lizards, places in my hometown I take for granted, and people I see from time and time again? Like right now, I'm doing a work of romantic couples with characters from a show, but I'm giving them a more refined look, and letting them gaze into their eyes on a sofa. I was inspired only due to seeing couples and the way they are with each other. Am I on the right track?
:iconmack127:
Mack127 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Sure! That sounds like a good track! Just follow whatever catches your eye. You see something cool catalogue it for later. And just keep it fresh. Listen to new music, watch new movies, wear new clothes idk. New stuff just inspires me and breaks me out of a creative slump. Also try new types of art.
:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
bring a art book with you everywhere and always draw when you are bored. This works for me. Listen to music as you draw and try painting feelings xD i know that sounds weird but music is very inspirational. My art teacher would sometimes let us choose music and let us do work as we listened : )
I've got the music part down. When I work in my pad, I always have my music at max volume. But painting feelings would be new.
are you more familiar with pad drawing or paper drawing?

I find myself a lot better with drawing on paper. Pads drawing is new to me. So sometimes i would draw on paper first then transfer it into a digital copy to trace over.
Yes, I use a sketch pad. I'm a traditional artist who uses paper, pencils, colored pencils and ink pens. I've just been trying to find ways on how I can be more creative, making works that come from me like a character of my own creation or a new location. Just something I can say I made up from scratch.
ah i see ...well i was just saying that because it helps me to be more creative at least ^_^

i want to be able to say i came up with that from scratch too :)
Don't worry. To each their own, but I guess I need to see how I can bring out that talent to be creative and work from imagination more. Like right now, I create my own stuff roughly 15-35% of the time, but wanna jump that to at least 50%. I love what I do riight now, but I wanna take in what others want to see like my mentor.
Wow that's a awesome goal to have :)
People like that can actually get paid really well for that sort of creativity.
I hope you reach that goal and inspire many other people ^_^
Thanks, xtinyheartx! It's my new years resolution. Right now, I'm just doing whatever like copy what I see in my private book or fanart, but when I move onto a new book, it's gonna be mostly about freehand and trying everything I learned. I like fanart and copying, but I'm just being more open minded. I hope I can make it work and create something people will like and know, like Jollyjack+Chloe or Sibsy+Wildfire. Right now, I have my 4 dragons on DA and 3 girls who were minor characters from a tv show, who I like to use in my works. Thank you, you've been a doll, Tiny:hug:
:iconfeetonfire:
FeetOnFire Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I often looks at pictures on dA, if im not inspirered.

But even though I draw, I don't look for inspiration in other drawings. I look for inspiration in photographs. The ideas and creativity, can sometimes be found other places, that might not have anything to do with your art :)
Good point. Well for now, I'm taking it slow with my works compared to last year and studying different works, mines and others, to compare and research. Like, if I like at how I portray anatomy and how another does, I use what I learn to upgrade structural works. Thank you for your advice.
FeetOnFire Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes it is a big help, to slow down a bit with the work. And just take all the inspiration and other things in! Indeed :D
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Being creative = doing less fan art
FeetOnFire Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha :D
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A little childishness goes a long way when it comes to creative stuff.
:icondeedworksstudios:
DeedWorksStudios Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sometimes when you want to be more creative it's better to not even think about being creative. What I mean is that when you're drawing, you should draw what you already have in mind and, for the things that you don't drawn up in your mind already, take a break to get your head together. Watch some tv, play a game, or just take a simple break by doing nothing. Basically, not trying to sound philosophical, you can't find creativity. Creativity finds you...while watching Storage Wars...
FireWario Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Naw, it's cool, philosophical or not, it makes sense. Great suggestions!
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
-look at lots of reference pics. look at artwork from the artists you admire, look at interesting photos from tumblr or pinterest or something, even look at weird shows on TV. but whenever you look at something, look carefully and study the detail. in real life too, look at every detail. you will notice more things that a lot of other people will not notice. then, you'll get ideas.

-try to do something people won't expect. if you want to draw a certain character, and you think of an idea, don't just rush to draw the first thing you think of. wait and think a little more about "what can i add to this?" "how can i change this?"

-take art trades, requests, or commissions, to draw others' characters. even though it's not your character, you can still be creative! you won't think of that character the 100% exact same way the original person does!

-look up writing prompts on the internet, and draw things based on those prompts. or it can just be sketches.

-draw something based on music you listen to.

-believe you can do it! don't tell yourself "i'm not creative." tell yourself "i can learn to be more creative."

you can grow your creativity if you just practice these things more!
I can do that. One of the things you siad was take art trades. I can try that, and even requests now and again. Thanks for the great advice!
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
For inspiration, I normally explore the outside world. Do something you wouldn't normally do, and go some place new. Sometimes, that inspiration you're looking for might just sneak up on you while you're out adventuring. When it comes to characters, try thinking like they would, and then do it! Seeing something, or going some place similar to the environment the characters are in can be very thrilling in its own way.
:iconimaginaricide:
Imaginaricide Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
One thing you should think about when creating a character is that, if you'll let them, they'll evolve. What I mean is that you'll more often than not start out with a simple concept - for example, one of my OC's started out as practically a copy-paste of a character I liked from a game, while another arose from a costume I threw together - but if you invest time and effort into them, every little new detail you come up with will change and shape how they grow to be their own, defined entity in your mind. Draw your character a lot, and you'll start to notice things about their physicality changing as your mind adjusts how they're supposed to look. Think about regular, ordinary events, and imagine how your character would react to them, even with their basic personality, and how their mind works will tweak and change as you run them through the mental gauntlet. One thing I had a lot of fun doing at one point was this little meme of twenty quirks a particular OC had - since that's a fairly large amount of quirks, it really made me sit down and come up with a lot of character-defining traits.
Also, after looking at your gallery, may I advise you to run away from anything Sonic-related as if hell itself was clawing at your back. Sorry, that's a personal touch.
Cool, so give life and existance to a character, take time to grow them out as art, and after some time and many works featurin them, I could give new shape and form to them that I can call my own and see how they've grown over the years. Great idea on the real life situations, like if you have a character who likes to sunbath, expose them to skiing or something. Thanks for the help and I haven't been working on Sonic-related works in years.
Cool, so give life and existance to a character, take time to grow them out as art, and after some time and many works featurin them, I could give new shape and form to them that I can call my own and see how they've grown over the years. Great idea on the real life situations, like if you have a character who likes to sunbath, expose them to skiing or something. Thanks for the help and I haven't been working on Sonic-related works in years.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Ah I see now I wrote "intelligent", I meant in an academic way, being able to solve riddles, etc. - not all intelligent people are introverts :D it's just a stereotype that I decided to play along with.
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
Actually I find it that it's better for my creativity to NOT look at other people's artwork.

I think reading books a lot all my life is what enables me to come up with original visions in my mind.
Also, sketching every day. A lot. Even just doodling.

Now regarding thinking of character background stories... I used to play tabletop RPGs and LARP a lot so I had to create new characters every now and then. And to be honest, not all of them had a through & detailed background story - just enough to explain what we know about the character right now. Basically I'd make the story backwards. First I'd write some traits that you have to assign "points" for in game, and then I would think - how did this character get like this?
For example if the character is very knowledgeable in magic, surely she had to learn it somewhere. Where? Who taught her? What happened to that person, where is he or she now?
If the person is very intelligent, this means she spent a lot of time indoors, away from people. Why is that? What effect did that have on her personal life? Did she get along with other kids? Did she have an animal friend perhaps?
You get the picture :)
:icondewolfie:
DeWolfie Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
One thing you can do to practice your creativity is taking something ordernary(Like a brom stick) and name as many things you can you could possibly do with it.
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, watch tv... maybe not in a literal sense, but look at the pretty colors and listen to the sounds, especially commercials.

Right before you go to sleep, as soon as you close your eyes sometimes your imagination takes off and maybe you hear a bunch of cool sounds and see cool colors, pretty imagery... Have you tried that? If it doesn't work, maybe I'm insane.
FireWario Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Makes sense. I'm up to trying whatever.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Digital Artist
Not that I've been making many OC's lately, but sometimes I find that having restraints would provide an actual foundation for actual creativity.
What kind of restraints? Like letting the page be messy from sketching ideas?
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Digital Artist
In the case for characters, since it's been said that characters do not exist in a vaccuum, I think the idea of creating characters to complement another can give ideas to work with. Got a perverted character? Create a reserved character of the opposite sex for teh luls. Got a young and naive kid? Create a wise old guy to boss him around for teh luls.

If you ever poked around with group dynamics pages on tvtropes, I think you'll know what I mean.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Draw everyday. And look at lots and lots of artwork.
Okay, but I draw each day or so and look at different works and styles. I draw what they've done just to take notes and reflect in my sketchbook, but the inventive ideas only come out now and again. I can create a character, but lose the idea of a bacground or have a background, but lose the idea of a character.
Add a Comment: