Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Why so bland?

:iconmack127:
Mack127 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I feel like i'm doing my best in my art but every time I post something here I just feel like there's nothing special about it. How do you make your art interesting and intriguing?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbustermaximus:
bustermaximus Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Figures floating unattached in empty space is boring.
:iconryonma:
Ryonma Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist
It seems you and I share the same problem.
Mack127 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Ooh but your art already has a lot more contrast than mine! I'd say you're on the right track
:iconryonma:
Ryonma Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist
Still I think I'm missing something. Like, concept. I don't know....

Anyway, for you, I'd recommend learning the principles of perspective first. It's VERY essential. Once you have that right you'll be able to give a sense of distance, depth to your drawing. To make it look more interesting. If done well you will be able to convince your viewers that what they're looking at isn't just a picture of a person/character but an actual scenery.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You have talent but you need to take your work to the next level.
Some good comments here and I agree with a lot of them.
Colour isn't the most important thing, if you like pencil stick with it. You do need more contrast and shading in your work though to make it pop more. Also a lot of your drawings look more like sketches than finished pieces. I can see sketch marks, rough pencil squiggles, etc. around them. Try taking one piece and running with it as far as you can. Don't leave marks and artifacts, and use lots of different shades and white highlights instead of just outlines and a few shades.
Someone else mentioned using perspective. This is VERY important. Try doing your next piece on an angle, or have your characters viewed from a bird's eye view, or worm's eye view, have one character in the foreground and another in the distance, etc., etc. Yep it's hard, but with practice it'll get easier.
Good luck!
Mack127 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Ok I will! Thank you!
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's probably looking bland to you because you draw in pencil and don't really do much with it like shading etc and all your lines are really uniform from what I see. You're art is cute but right now it doesn't really 'jump'.
:iconi-mend:
I-MEND Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Another idea would be is to look at your favorite artists (classical or contemporary) and ask yourself what is it about their work you like so much. Is it because of realism, their messages in their work, use of colors, use of lines, subjects, strange/exaggeration/surreal, etc.

This should help you on taking some of their ideas and using them on your own art. If you are feeling discourage and it is doing the opposite then stay away from the internet for awhile. Don't try to compare yourself to other artists. There will always be somebody better out there (from your opinion on what is considered better) and so try to not be so negative.

Draw for fun about whatever. It is also okay to not upload everything you draw and not every drawing has to be a finished piece. Not sure if you have this is a problem but I have this problem and I'm slowly overcoming it.
:iconnarrenzauber:
Narrenzauber Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
First of all: You should be the most important person for now, who judges if your artwork is interesting or not. You aren't a professional, which means you don't need to draw for money. So don't put too much pressure on you, when you come across one or more person, who think that your work is boring. It can be frustrating, of course, but you will never be able to satisfy everyone!

I've taken a look into your gallery. Well, I see that you like to draw humans and that you try to tell the audience something with your characters, but the context is missing. You can see the relationship between the characters, but where are they? What are they exactly doing and when? Why? Most works are interesting, if they can tell a story. So don't be afraid to make up a context, which means use backgrounds, but don't seperatly of background and the main focus of your drawings! Everything belongs together!

Colour. Well, colour attracts the viewer. That's true. So it can make a drawing more interesting, but it can mess up everything as well. Don't be afraid of using colours, but also try to experiment and observe your surrounding. Try to learn how to use values. The best way for this is using only one colour or the normal pencil. Value and colour go hand in hand. It's a huge topic, but it is also interesting and exciting to explore!

Try out more advanced poses and use perspective. This can be hard, but it can make an artwork more interesting.

And of course: Experiment, experiment, experiment. Like Cnids said before: Draw weird shit! Everything out of the normal has the potential to be interesting, because it isn't normal. It's something unknown and that draws the attention to the artwork.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
I wouldn't say it has to have color, but at least something needs to fill the page. Values are more important mostly then colors, since colors derive from light. There are plenty of good Black and white photos that don't have to have color. Represent old age, and things like that. Even frankenweenie, does not have any color.
Add a Comment: