Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

I need help with a map

:iconarmoredtyrannosaurus:
armoredtyrannosaurus Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Okay so Ill be honest this is my first post here I didn't even think to look at the forum rules before posting this, I'm sorry. If this is in the wrong spot go ahead and get rid of it mods. Any who, I'm making a custom game board for the game risk/ axis and allies. If you don't know what either of them are please go look them up its a great way to kill 18 hours in one day. If you don't know it requires a map as the game board. I have a series of fictional continents and countries and bodies of water on an 18x24 inch piece of paper and I like it. I want it much bigger.

I just bought a pad of 140lb paper at 18x24 inches and I'm going to align them to make a 3 foot by 8 foot super atlas map. now I'm really excited about this and I don't want to mess it up. and 140lb paper isn't too cheap so I really don't want this to get messed up. I'm wondering if you fellow artists could loan me some input on how should go about making this map.

Originally I had intended on tea staining the paper to make it look all old timey like the map of middle earth, but then i thought about painting the map to make it look sort of like a satellite image, but not super detailed. i like the idea of both the old school look and the colorful painting. of course I'm going to have sea serpents in the water and stuff like that, as this version of risk is going to be played in DnD era. magic and swords and junk.

that's really my main dilemma right now. TL;DR tea stain and ink or full blown 3'x8' painting? what would be better?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Why don't you do it on a small piece of paper first and see which you like better? I mean the tea staining vs. the detail, obviously you already have the map itself on a small scale.
Also you'll be able to see if your ink will even work on tea-stained paper. Sometimes this stuff can be unpredictable.
I intended on drawing a roug outline i pencil before staining and using like a .8mm prisma felt tip to trace after the tea stained dried.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Ok, if it's a felt tip, it SHOULDN'T run too much, but still, taking an hour or two to try it out on something else is way better than ruining your good paper.

I don't know how tea affects the longevity of paper, if that's important to you, it might be something for you to look up. I think slight acidity can damage paper over time, but we're talking decades and decades.
yeah good point. I mean I've done it before, I guess I;m just indecisive. I want the old school look of the tea stain but the vibrant colors of the painting and i cant think of a way to get the best of both worlds
Add a Comment: