Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

First Copics

:iconfewly:
fewly Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I recently bought Copic Toner Grey set of 12 from Amazon for 20$ cheaper than its original price. It arrived on new year's eve and I was really happy because I have been waiting for that (buying Copics, i mean) for nearly 2 years and everything was perfect. Until I realized that they were the original, square bodied Copics. And they don't have that Super Brush nib!

I tried them on print paper and the chisel strokes blend rather nicely. I was able to achieve a semi-smooth grey scale gradient. As for the fine nib, I'm kind of lost there. I quickly doodled a shirt and tried shading it but I was not satisfied with the result.

I have been considering selling them online for ~50$ but then I thought maybe I could use them somewhere else. I'm looking for some ideas/suggestions on what else they could be used for. Because I'm not able to shade as I wish with the hard nib. My initial purpose of buying the toner grey set was that I wanted to shade my doodles and rough sketches (ink sketches those are) with them and study lighting/shading. I usually draw quite large so the small nib doesn't seem to be of any use to me (if only it was a little thicker).

In the other hand, I don't want to sell them at all! You know, they are my very first Copics... and stuff... feelings... uh, yeah. So, any suggestions what else I can do with them? I don't think it's very apparent in my gallery but I draw almost everything in Moleskines (plural. I own quite a lot of them). I do character concepts, room concepts, collages, mixed media, typography... (very few of them make it in my gallery though...) I heard original Copics are preferred by designers, so I'm guessing they are not good for drawing human figures? I also get inspired by Cartoon Network a lot. Especially Rebecca Sugar, I adore her doodles and Adventure Time posters. (exapmle:[link])

All this rambling aside, I have a couple of questions:
1.Have you ever tried Copics in Moleskine plain/sketch/watercolour notebook? (I don't want to risk ruining a whole sheet of either paper.) How is the bleeding? I know from experience that watercolour doesn't diffuse through Moleskine's sketch paper so I've been wondering if it'd be the same with Copics' pigment ink?
2.I have a A4 watercolour album (basically just a larger watercolour notebook) and I use it for marker (Faber-Castell PITT) and graphite sketches. I'm never actually serious with anything I draw so I use watercolour paper just for its texture. Since the paper dimensions are pretty big I think I might be able to draw lines with fine nib and colour in with chisel nib.

Suggestions, answers, tips, pretty much any kind of reply is appreciated. (人д・。`)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, they have interchangeable nibs like everyone has said.

As with the paper, I've never used what you've said, but I HIGHLY recommend Strathmore or Canson Bristol Smooth for marker :)
:iconlagunn:
LaGunn Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
^^^ Like Parabuteo78 said, the nibs are interchangeable so you can just buy the brush nib and replace the fine tip.
Also, you could get a Copic Sketch colorless blender to help aid in the smoother blending.

I've never used moleskin paper. I always use my copics on a smooth bristol. Regular watercolor paper is great too, if you don't mind the textures. ^^
This set comes with a colorless blender marker so it's kind of like 11 grey tones + 1 blender. This blender thing works like magic! Compared with watercolours, colorless blender is like water for Copics.
:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You could consider just changing the nibs to Brush nibs. All Copics have interchangable nibs which are sold seperately, maybe that's an idea?
[link]

if you do decide to change the nibs, make sure you buy the correct ones. For the standard Copics, the brush nibs have a metal piece on them. Brush nibs for Ciao's or Sketch markers don't have the metal part and won't fit.

Sorry, can't help with your other questions as I don't have a Moleskine sketchbook :)
I didn't know the nibs were interchangeable! Thank you so much! I did a small research on the other kinds of nibs as well. Apparently those brush nibs fit in the broad nib. Well, as for the fine nib I could change them with super fine nibs and use the other tip as a slightly thicker multiliner (.5mm looks pretty thin on larger scale drawings anyways). I might just be starting to like my Copics.. ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Add a Comment: