Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

First Copics

:iconglitteruki:
I recently bought Copic Toner Grey set of 12 from Amazon for 20$ cheaper than its original price. It arrived on new year's eve and I was really happy because I have been waiting for that (buying Copics, i mean) for nearly 2 years and everything was perfect. Until I realized that they were the original, square bodied Copics. And they don't have that Super Brush nib!

I tried them on print paper and the chisel strokes blend rather nicely. I was able to achieve a semi-smooth grey scale gradient. As for the fine nib, I'm kind of lost there. I quickly doodled a shirt and tried shading it but I was not satisfied with the result.

I have been considering selling them online for ~50$ but then I thought maybe I could use them somewhere else. I'm looking for some ideas/suggestions on what else they could be used for. Because I'm not able to shade as I wish with the hard nib. My initial purpose of buying the toner grey set was that I wanted to shade my doodles and rough sketches (ink sketches those are) with them and study lighting/shading. I usually draw quite large so the small nib doesn't seem to be of any use to me (if only it was a little thicker).

In the other hand, I don't want to sell them at all! You know, they are my very first Copics... and stuff... feelings... uh, yeah. So, any suggestions what else I can do with them? I don't think it's very apparent in my gallery but I draw almost everything in Moleskines (plural. I own quite a lot of them). I do character concepts, room concepts, collages, mixed media, typography... (very few of them make it in my gallery though...) I heard original Copics are preferred by designers, so I'm guessing they are not good for drawing human figures? I also get inspired by Cartoon Network a lot. Especially Rebecca Sugar, I adore her doodles and Adventure Time posters. (exapmle:[link])

All this rambling aside, I have a couple of questions:
1.Have you ever tried Copics in Moleskine plain/sketch/watercolour notebook? (I don't want to risk ruining a whole sheet of either paper.) How is the bleeding? I know from experience that watercolour doesn't diffuse through Moleskine's sketch paper so I've been wondering if it'd be the same with Copics' pigment ink?
2.I have a A4 watercolour album (basically just a larger watercolour notebook) and I use it for marker (Faber-Castell PITT) and graphite sketches. I'm never actually serious with anything I draw so I use watercolour paper just for its texture. Since the paper dimensions are pretty big I think I might be able to draw lines with fine nib and colour in with chisel nib.

Suggestions, answers, tips, pretty much any kind of reply is appreciated. (人д・。`)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, they have interchangeable nibs like everyone has said.

As with the paper, I've never used what you've said, but I HIGHLY recommend Strathmore or Canson Bristol Smooth for marker :)
:iconlagunn:
LaGunn Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
^^^ Like Parabuteo78 said, the nibs are interchangeable so you can just buy the brush nib and replace the fine tip.
Also, you could get a Copic Sketch colorless blender to help aid in the smoother blending.

I've never used moleskin paper. I always use my copics on a smooth bristol. Regular watercolor paper is great too, if you don't mind the textures. ^^
This set comes with a colorless blender marker so it's kind of like 11 grey tones + 1 blender. This blender thing works like magic! Compared with watercolours, colorless blender is like water for Copics.
:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You could consider just changing the nibs to Brush nibs. All Copics have interchangable nibs which are sold seperately, maybe that's an idea?
[link]

if you do decide to change the nibs, make sure you buy the correct ones. For the standard Copics, the brush nibs have a metal piece on them. Brush nibs for Ciao's or Sketch markers don't have the metal part and won't fit.

Sorry, can't help with your other questions as I don't have a Moleskine sketchbook :)
I didn't know the nibs were interchangeable! Thank you so much! I did a small research on the other kinds of nibs as well. Apparently those brush nibs fit in the broad nib. Well, as for the fine nib I could change them with super fine nibs and use the other tip as a slightly thicker multiliner (.5mm looks pretty thin on larger scale drawings anyways). I might just be starting to like my Copics.. ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Add a Comment: